“Volunteer” firefighter, how to list on AAMC application?

Started by A P
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

A P

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, I currently am a volunteer firefighter in my community, and our department has transitioned into a paid on call system which essentially boils down about $12 to respond to an emergency, and a small hourly rate, more or less so we’re not losing money responding to 911 calls. Is this now a paid experience and not volunteer? Seems like a gray area since it’s not a traditional wage, but I feel like it could bite me in the butt if I was accused of lying on my app because I do receive some $. I was hoping to bolster my community service with this (also just really enjoy first response and EM). Non-trad who has years of clinical and non clinical work experience separate from the fire service, and applying this coming June. Thank you!
 
If programs with stipends such as Peace Corps or Teach for America are considered “volunteering”, then this is volunteering.
It only matters to HR and the taxes that are withheld from your paycheck. 🙂 Are you entitled to benefits with that wage, like paid time off or health insurance?
Got it, thank you to the both of you for these responses. No PTO, insurance, etc, not even considered a part-time worker so I’ll keep it as a non-clinical volunteer activity. Appreciate the help!