More OOS friendly - Louisville or Indiana

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kingjames15

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide whether to apply to Indiana or Louisville. Which one do you think is more OOS friendly? All help is appreciated!:)

Members don't see this ad.

4 letters

M

S

A

R

OR

Go to each school's website and look at a class profile....they always display out of state acceptances

This all requires minimal effort

I'm trying to decide whether to apply to Indiana or Louisville. Which one do you think is more OOS friendly? All help is appreciated!:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you @aSagacious. And @postbacpremed87, I'm well aware of the MSAR. In fact Im looking at it right now. However, I often times read in forums about how some schools look good as far as the amount of OOS that matriculated, but these students had super strong ties to the state, or they had amazing mcat/gpas. Basically, % and numbers can be misleading sometimes. I was simply looking for some deeper insight about these schools okay. No need to be a richard about it.

Well from what I can see that still hasn't been addressed.

One can look at the MSAR and see if a school is OOS friendly. I think the general rule of thumb some heavy hitters talk about on here is applying to schools with >15% OOS matriculation rate. I look at matriculation, not applied or interviewed. For me to be comfortable with an OOS school, the number of acceptances for OOS candidates must be as close to 40% as possible...generally all of the ones I am applying to are 36% or up OOS students.

One can gauge a school's friendliness based on its numbers. If 40% of their acceptances are OOS students then I would say they are OOS friendly.

For your numbers....40 of 160 matriculants were OOS for Louisville - that's 25%...decent if you have good stats.

IU had 47 out of 322 - that's 14.6% OOS - that wouldn't be worth MY TIME. Maybe yours?

Thank you @aSagacious. And @postbacpremed87, I'm well aware of the MSAR. In fact Im looking at it right now. However, I often times read in forums about how some schools look good as far as the amount of OOS that matriculated, but these students had super strong ties to the state, or they had amazing mcat/gpas. Basically, % and numbers can be misleading sometimes. I was simply looking for some deeper insight about these schools okay. No need to be a richard about it.

Well from what I can see that still hasn't been addressed.

One can look at the MSAR and see if a school is OOS friendly. I think the general rule of thumb some heavy hitters talk about on here is applying to schools with >15% OOS matriculation rate. I look at matriculation, not applied or interviewed. For me to be comfortable with an OOS school, the number of acceptances for OOS candidates must be as close to 40% as possible...generally all of the ones I am applying to are 36% or up OOS students.

:confused: I provided the number that applied and the number that were accepted. How else could one possibly define OOS friendliness? Matriculation rate of those that were accepted is irrelevant.

% composition of OOS students in the total acceptance pool. School's have general rules about the percentage of out of state students that will make it to the end to be accepted. You're competing against in state students too...not just out of state....so I look at % of OOS in the total matriculation pool.

:confused: I provided the number that applied and the number that were accepted. How else could one possibly define OOS friendliness? Matriculation rate of those that were accepted is irrelevant.

I agree, it hasn't been addressed yet. If you don't mind me asking, which schools are you applying to?

Mine are:
Oakland
Louisville OR Indiana
Creighton
Loma Linda
Michigan State
Mizzou
Penn State
University of Kentucky
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Medical College of Wisconsin
Wake Forest
SLU
Colorado
Iowa
Vanderbilt

I only said matriculated because isn't that whats in the MSAR? Where do you find the accepted data?

% composition of OOS students in the total acceptance pool. School's have general rules about the percentage of out of state students that will make it to the end to be accepted. You're competing against in state students too...not just out of state....so I look at % of OOS in the total matriculation pool.

Better?

Louisville:
2651 applied (408 IS)
256 accepted (178 IS)

Indiana:
3636 applied (678 IS)
490 accepted (340 IS)

I agree, it hasn't been addressed yet. If you don't mind me asking, which schools are you applying to?
Read peoples' MDApps profiles. :)

Well for these purposes we are assuming you will go if you are accepted so look at accepted OOS students out of the whole acceptance pool, not just those who are accepted out of the OOS applicant pool. You are competing against in state students too. That's all I meant.

I only said matriculated because isn't that whats in the MSAR? Where do you find the accepted data?