More out of state luck than in-state?

Started by Taenia
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Taenia

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So, I'm curious as to the number of applicants who were admitted or offered interviews from an out of state school but recevied no love from their in-state school. Just to see how many of us beat the odds, so to speak. I was accepted to CSU and Penn this round, but not to Texas (my in-state). Anyone else?
 
I've been invited to three interviews (VA-MD, Missouri, and Glasgow) and one offer (from Edinburgh) and still have not heard anything from Penn (my in state)!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I didn't even get an interview invite for Texas, so I found out I was rejected in December. Oh well, their loss!
 
I have interviewed at MSU, Western, and KSU and am currently wait-listed at KSU but was rejected without an interview from my state school (VA-MD).
 
I got in to UPenn and Cornell, but I was wait-listed for an interview at Tufts. I am a Mass resident. I have gotten an interview since, but not sure about the final result yet. So, I guess this out-of-state thing is not always 100% accurate...
 
in complete honesty, i think they pick 50 out of the stack (randomly of course) throw them up in the air, and whoever lands on the bullseye gets an interview.
 
I have interviewed at MSU, Western, and KSU and am currently wait-listed at KSU but was rejected without an interview from my state school (VA-MD).

Thats interesting... I know somebody (MD resident) who interviewed at VA-MD, but has yet to hear from KSU. Funny how this whole process works. Not to mention annoying.
 
just wanted to throw in my 2 cents...

accepted to csu and interviewed last week at uc davis...

waitlisted at tufts... my in state... what i had considered my "safe" school 🙂 and i almost didnt apply to csu or davis because i was like, they accept 2% or less of out of staters... why waste my $$ ... good thing i felt like spending some money the day i sent in the vmcas 🙂