More stress?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Biassi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For all the acceptees out there .. Do you have the impression that as soon as you get accepted the stress go high up with all the paper work,other requirements to meet before entrance and registration?

I got accepted to my top school a month ago but my stress didn't go down. I have so much paperwork, immunizations, finaid requirements, housing papers... How are you guys coping with that? Sometimes I feel like dropping out!!! I'm so broke but I have still to spend money over those paperwork!!!! Is it going to be over soon?

Members don't see this ad.

For all the acceptees out there .. Do you have the mpression that as soon as you get accepted the stress go high up with all the paper work,other requirements to meet before entrance and registration?

I got accepted to my top school a month ago but my stress didn't go down. I have so much paperwork, immunizations, finaid requirements, housing papers... How are you guys coping with that? Sometimes I feel like dropping out!!! I'm so broke but I have still to spend money over those paperwork!!!! Is it going to be over soon?

I have that stress now and I haven't even been accepted yet. Filled out FAFSA, sent Finaid forms to USC and to LLU, scheduled my physical for Western plus MMR, DTP, Hep B. Hep B was the big one because you've got to have the first two before matriculation at Western. The only thing I haven't stressed about on your list is housing and that's because I don't know where I'll be. I'm just trying to be prepared so when someone says I've been accepted I won't have to rush.

how do guys know what types of shots you will need? did your schools send you a list of exactly which one you need?

Members don't see this ad :)
how do guys know what types of shots you will need? did your schools send you a list of exactly which one you need?

I received from my schools my welcome package and the forms I have to fill out. There is a form in it: preentrance health requirements. On that form a list of shots to take and signed by the doctor. Does anybody know how much those shots cost?

I received from my schools my welcome package and the forms I have to fill out. There is a form in it: preentrance health requirements. On that form a list of shots to take and signed by the doctor. Does anybody know how much those shots cost?

I heard they can be expensive (sorry dont know the price range). But, I heard some colleges give free immunization shots to their students.

If not free the school usually has discounted immunization shots for students. Well i am sure we pay for that difference in our tuition but I will take what i can get...

I am also worried that I won;t have enough money in pharmacy school to attend all he concerts I like to attend. Without a steady regiment of live music, I would go crazy, its like a massage/therapy to me. Robert Randolph and the Family band this thursday....mean slide guitar with a crazy live show ta boot!

I heard they can be expensive (sorry dont know the price range). But, I heard some colleges give free immunization shots to their students.

Right now I'm just covering the usuals MMR and DTP. I included Hep B because Western specifically said that one at the interview/intro to school. If you don't have insurance you can usually go to your school's Health Center or state/county clinic. I know in TX I paid like $5 for MMR, DTP, Polio. It cost me $30 for HepA because I had to go to a separate clinic for that one. Now that I'm in CA I don't know what it would cost at clinic, but the Health Center at CSUSB I think was like $10 for MMR/DTP and $35 or something like that for HepB. I could look again next time I'm on campus, but I think those #'s are good.

If you do have insurance you'll want to check which ones are covered. When I scheduled my appointment they said not all shots are covered.

Oh yeah, don't forget the TB test. I could be wrong, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't required nationwide.

The local health department will have a discounted program. If you have insurance call them, also lots of Dr. offices w/ give immunizations w/ out an office visit fee if you are just getting shots. Check w/ your parents to see if you have had some of the shots. My mom had records of all my shots, (I'm 34 and will only have to have maybe 1 shot), I also keep records of all my kids shots, sooooo check w/ Mom it may save you $ and hassle.

That is what my Dad said too-"Just check with your mother, she will know."

Ha, ha, yeah I suppose there is some stress associated with getting all the necessary paperwork done. However, I would much rather have this stress than the anxiety of waiting for a letter come in the mail. :rolleyes:

Ha, ha, yeah I suppose there is some stress associated with getting all the necessary paperwork done. However, I would much rather have this stress than the anxiety of waiting for a letter come in the mail. :rolleyes:

I agree 100%. Before I was accepted, I felt like I was sitting on pins and needles, with my life in someone else's hands. Now that I'm in, I just have to make sure I do everything on time...and be excited. =D

Trying to be optimistic, I am dealing with both. Been waiting for reply from Oregon State since October, Western put me on hold said would review 03/23, Interviewing at USC 3/17. Only thing that keeps me from despair is I'm just too darn busy. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
For all the acceptees out there .. Do you have the impression that as soon as you get accepted the stress go high up with all the paper work,other requirements to meet before entrance and registration?

yes. and yes :)

lol lol ... I guess I'm not the only one. I hate shots!!! I will go look for them anyway!!!!

Hep B was the big one because you've got to have the first two before matriculation at Western.

Hmm...How long do you have to wait after your first Hep B shot in order to get your second one? I didn't even THINK about the shots yet since I haven't been accepted anywhere, but it looks like I should start visiting my school's student health center.

Hmm...How long do you have to wait after your first Hep B shot in order to get your second one? I didn't even THINK about the shots yet since I haven't been accepted anywhere, but it looks like I should start visiting my school's student health center.

According to http://www.cdc.gov/nip/publications/VIS/vis-hep-b.pdf :

First dose: Any time
Second dose: 1-2 months after 1st dose
Third dose: 4-6 months after 1st dose

Hope that helps!!

Julianne, thanks for your response! :D

You're welcome! One thing to keep in mind - if you've not been accepted yet, you might want to check on how long the shots are good for (I know hepB, MMR, etc. are good for a while but I think the TB test is only valid for a year).

You're welcome! One thing to keep in mind - if you've not been accepted yet, you might want to check on how long the shots are good for (I know hepB, MMR, etc. are good for a while but I think the TB test is only valid for a year).

hep B MMR and the original DPT are for life (they do give boosters if possible exposure takes place) you are right the TB skin test is once a year and if you come up positive you do the chest X ray every year instead.

Tetanus is also every 10 years but I was told about a 40 year vaccine they have now but have yet to hear anyone get it.

I was under the impression that all states required immunizations for children entering kindergarden. at the very least everyone should have their MMR 1 and 2 plus DPT.

Hey i was just wondering about this, if you do have TB, not that I have it, could you still be admitted?

Hey i was just wondering about this, if you do have TB, not that I have it, could you still be admitted?

A lot of people actually get a positive test for TB, but they don't actually have it. All you need is to get a chest X-ray and if you're clear for the x-ray, you should be fine. If you're positive, you never have to take the test again. But if you're positive, depends on where you go to school or work, they might require a chest X-ray for every 5 years. I was tested negative and then positive the following year. Now I never have to take the TB test again.

I am not a 100% sure, but I heard that if you get some kind of vaccine, not sure what it is, it even gives you a false positive test. That's what my doctor told me, but I wasn't really listening.

Out of curiosity, can you have vaccines redone? My paperwork is probably long gone, my pediatrician probably died a long time ago, and both of my parents are deceased so they can't help me figure out where i might have evidence of my vaccinations. I'm prepared to pay to have them redone if I can do that.

I am not 100% sure, but I think some vaccines you have to do again every 10 years. That's what my parents had to do when they left the country for vacation. The following year, my mom went to see the doctor and she didn't know that she had already received the vaccine the year before and she was supposed to wait for 10 years cause insurance wouldn't pay, she got the shot anyway and she didn't have to pay since we had different insurance. I dont think there should be a problem for you to re-do them. Call the doctor's office and ask just to make sure.

Out of curiosity, can you have vaccines redone? My paperwork is probably long gone, my pediatrician probably died a long time ago, and both of my parents are deceased so they can't help me figure out where i might have evidence of my vaccinations. I'm prepared to pay to have them redone if I can do that.

You can have blood work done for some of them to show that you have immunity (those handy little antibodies that develop after you've had the disease or the vaccine). I cannot locate my shot records either, so the nurse at school said If I could get documentation of positive titers, that would be acceptable. (Better than re-doing the shots! :D )

I find the very thought of repeating the application process much more stressful than anything else.

You can have blood work done for some of them to show that you have immunity (those handy little antibodies that develop after you've had the disease or the vaccine). I cannot locate my shot records either, so the nurse at school said If I could get documentation of positive titers, that would be acceptable. (Better than re-doing the shots! :D )

Very good to know. I have one lead that is looking very promising (high school may still have a record they can copy for me, so I'd probably only have to redo my Hepatitis B vaccine) but if no one had a copy I'd be in trouble. I can't receive the MMR vaccine right now since it's a live vaccine and contraindicative with one of my arthritis medications.

If you go to a doctor, they can send your blood off to test if you have antibodies or not. (called a titer) That way they can verify that you have received the vaccine in the past if you can't get the documentation. It should be able to be done with all of the different shots. MMR DPT H. Flu type B etc

As for TB. A positive can be caused by the vaccine to it (as kelly said) or you may have been exposed at one point in your life long enough to produce antibodies but not at a dosage rate high enough for colonization. Since the vaccine isn't part of the normal regimen for the population, probably have not received that perticular one. If you were in the military on the other hand, than most likely you had it.

Very good to know. I have one lead that is looking very promising (high school may still have a record they can copy for me, so I'd probably only have to redo my Hepatitis B vaccine) but if no one had a copy I'd be in trouble. I can't receive the MMR vaccine right now since it's a live vaccine and contraindicative with one of my arthritis medications.

The Hep B is another one the doctor can do a titer on beforehand. Even if you didn't receive the three shots in the series, have them test you first since you may already have an immunity and require a booster shot or nothing at all.

The hep B immunization takes 6 months to complete, as someone mentioned earlier. If you are waiting to hear back from schools, you should still start getting the shots right away if you haven't already had them. My school requires all three heb B shots to be done before school starts - in less than six months. They did not seem like they had exceptions to this policy either. I would check with the school(s) you applied to and see what their policy is, and start the fun process of getting your shots.

I'm not sure if all schools are like this, but my undergrad university required the same immunizations when I first came here. So, they have them in my record. I just went to my school's "Student Health" office and they gave me a copy of them.

So I recently just got accepted to one of my top choices and now I’m just so paranoid something is going to go wrong! Anyone else feel the same way. I have an 84% in anatomy right now and I only need a 55% on the final to get a “C” but I can’t help but stress over somehow failing. And then add on to the fact that my school requires 9 units of English and I currently only have 4 units, and next quarter I’m signed up for 4 more units of English, so I’d still be short 1 unit. But then I called them and asked if I could use AP credit and they said yes, but its not on my pharmCAS so they said I’d have to send in an official transcript to show I received credit, but I can’t shake off the feeling that its going to get lost or that for some reason they won’t accept it.

Agh, sorry this is my useless post of the day, I just feel that now I’ve been accepted I’m so stressed out something is going to go terribly wrong. I won’t believe I’m going to pharmacy school until I’m officially registered and all my financial aid/immunizations are taken care of and all my pre-reqs are done.

You are not alone girl!!! I feel like that too. My school wants me to retake PHYS 1 and 2 because they want the calculus based. I have to take both over the summer to get in. I'm so worry about it. Although I won't fail them, I live in the fear that something will go wrong. It's just so wrong. I don't know!!!!

So I recently just got accepted to one of my top choices and now I’m just so paranoid something is going to go wrong! Anyone else feel the same way. I have an 84% in anatomy right now and I only need a 55% on the final to get a “C” but I can’t help but stress over somehow failing. And then add on to the fact that my school requires 9 units of English and I currently only have 4 units, and next quarter I’m signed up for 4 more units of English, so I’d still be short 1 unit. But then I called them and asked if I could use AP credit and they said yes, but its not on my pharmCAS so they said I’d have to send in an official transcript to show I received credit, but I can’t shake off the feeling that its going to get lost or that for some reason they won’t accept it.

Agh, sorry this is my useless post of the day, I just feel that now I’ve been accepted I’m so stressed out something is going to go terribly wrong. I won’t believe I’m going to pharmacy school until I’m officially registered and all my financial aid/immunizations are taken care of and all my pre-reqs are done.

How funny ever since I got excepted I have been stressing over A and P class. I've never stressed so much before over a class. I guess it is becasue it is the last class I need ti get in. I have my BS in Chemistry and everything the only thikng LLU said I needed was this Anatony class. well before my interveiw and acceptance I got a 68 then a 58. After acceptance I stated to focus and got a 100 and a 90. I would be very sad if I faied this class after all that I have beeb through. All I have to do is get a 70 or better on the final to pass the clas with a C. Spelling is bad because my daughter is poundinfg on the key and im to tired to fixe it any im goning to brd later guys

How funny ever since I got excepted I have been stressing over A and P class. I've never stressed so much before over a class. I guess it is becasue it is the last class I need ti get in.

Maybe that's my problem, too... For some reason, I have been really worried about my grades even though now it's not as big of a deal for me to get an A in every class I take as it was before acceptance. To make matters worse, I find myself "freezing up" on tests this semester - something I've never had a problem with before! It scares me because I can't afford to be a bag of nerves like this come fall, yet I have no way of knowing how to control it :confused: