more than 1 mcat, which score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr kevin40

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey for those of us w/ more than 1 mcat testing, which score do med schools use for admissions considerations?

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on the school. All schools see all MCAT scores received. However, some will consider your best scores while others use all scores to make admission decisions. If you've taken them more then once, most med schools look positively upon you if your scores improved. Hope this info helps.

You'll have to check the MSAR for specific schools, but at the five schools at which I interviewed (GW, Temple, NYMC, Einstein, and MCP) the interviewers all told me that they considered the most recent scores. (I had taken them in April and August 2000.) In addition, Einstein told me that they look for considerable improvement from one sitting to the next. Luckily for me, my later scores were the better scores!

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr. Kermit

Looks like we graduated in the same class. :clap: Aren't you glad Hopkins is over! Good luck at Albert Einstein!

whoa...is this the Hopkins undergrad thread now? Can I join? I'm not from the same class, but I've undergone the same toils! Yeah...I must be crazy to stay at this school for another four years, huh?

thanks yall! that was very helpful

do u guys, esp nylee, know a girl named jenn kuo? she was class of 2002 @ jhu

Nylee -

You're a nutcase for staying at Hopkins :D I decided to leave behind the "Great Excavations" and head for the chocolate med school! Best of luck!!

I actually might know you Nylee and Jenn Kuo. I was supposed to graduate class of 2002, but wanted to leave so badly I graduated in 2001.

Whoa, Rezul! I have no idea who you are, but you know who I am??? I'm pretty good friends with Jenn Kuo as well! Send me a PM, dude!

Every school is different.... however MOST schools take the most recent into consideration. You should buy the Medical School Admissions Requirements book from AAMC... it has detailed information on every school... and unlike the PR book, the info is written BY THE SCHOOLS themselves!

Good luck :)

Some schools average your score, some your best sitting, some your best score, some your most recent test. It all depends on the school.

It definately does hurt you more to have two scores than one. I know one person who got 7 more the second time, and he didn't do as well as he should and that is what I think held him back somewhat.

Originally posted by Jalby
It definately does hurt you more to have two scores than one.

That's just not true. It might hurt you if you've taken it 3 or 4 times and only had marginal improvement... but many many people take it a second time, improve, and go on to awesome schools. Just ask scooby about it...

Scooby is actually the person I was thinking of when I wrote that. I kind of do have inside information on his application, and I whink he would have gotton into a lot more schools if his first score wasn't there.
That being said, he did get into a great school.

hey dr kevin,
i am in the same situation you are in. however, being the paranoid person that i am, i practically e-mailed every single school inquiring about multiple mcat scores. majority of the schools said that they take the most recent score, and many also said that they take the best score. also, they all said that they take improvement into great consideration and that if you hold your scores, they assume the absolute worst. so, release all of them. if you've improved, it will only help you!

kevin...with your score you got nothing to worry about.