More than 10 LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

novafan3000

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry kind of new to AMCAS but what is the point of uploading 10 LOR if the school only reads 3-4? Luck of the draw or I imagine most adcoms pick and choose by the title of the person writing? Does the recency matter/have to be included?

Members don't see this ad.

Well some people might choose to submit different letters to different schools based on different requirements, etc. I doubt anybody would submit all 10 letters to one school.

Well some people might choose to submit different letters to different schools based on different requirements, etc. I doubt anybody would submit all 10 letters to one school.

+1

Plus some schools actually take 5+ letters from what I've seen. Plus you might want your PI's/lab professor's letters to be sent to research oriented schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I probably submitted a total of 8 letters to almost every med school. Since I had a previous career, I was told that it is wise to usually have a LOR from every point in your life as to give a sense of how your progressed through your schooling and career as well. As long as you're not collecting LOR's for the sake of adding LOR's and that each LOR you can reasonably assume is going to be strong, it should be ok.

Edit: I should note that almost all the letters were contained within my premed committee packet, and I didn't just add each individually to AMCAS

Last edited:
I think I probably submitted a total of 8 letters to almost every med school. Since I had a previous career, I was told that it is wise to usually have a LOR from every point in your life as to give a sense of how your progressed through your schooling and career as well. As long as you're not collecting LOR's for the sake of adding LOR's and that each LOR you can reasonably assume is going to be strong, it should be ok.

Edit: I should note that almost all the letters were contained within my premed committee packet, and I didn't just add each individually to AMCAS

Typical Sith Scum Tactic.

Okay in seriousness, +1

I know Texas schools are very adamant about not sending in to many individuals--but if I recall correctly--if they are in a committee packet it is somewhat better received.

It'd probably be best to call each adcom and see what they think.

Seriously??? I honestly thought that the maximum for most medical schools was 5. 2 science prof, 1 non-science prof, and 2 extra's for employers, PI's etc..

But if we're allowed to send more than 5 to individual schools then well that's just awesome :D

Especially because some of the top 10's require a letter from every PI you have ever had so I thought I'd be a little screwed with that since I'll have about 4 PI's and none of them are my professors.

Beyond 10 letters of recommendation, I would imagine adcoms getting into TMI territory...

Seriously??? I honestly thought that the maximum for most medical schools was 5. 2 science prof, 1 non-science prof, and 2 extra's for employers, PI's etc..

But if we're allowed to send more than 5 to individual schools then well that's just awesome :D

Especially because some of the top 10's require a letter from every PI you have ever had so I thought I'd be a little screwed with that since I'll have about 4 PI's and none of them are my professors.

with the multiple PI's, I had a rather difficult situation with one. I had to go to the chair of biology to prove his unanswered emails, and the fact he was basically at all costs avoiding me when he had absolutely no reason to. I even had frozen cells I was going to work on beginning last fall. She allowed me to work in her lab for the semester because I literally tried everything to try and get back in his lab returning from last summer. The only thing is, her lab is more environmentally related and his is more immuno. Is it going to look suspicious that I dont have a letter from him?