More than just medication...

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by samisab786, Dec 4, 2008.

1. samisab786

5+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I don't mean to ask an annoying question, but does pharmacy deal with a lot more than just medication and drugs? While I will most likely shadow a pharmacist in the future, I just wanted to know something in response to the information listed on some pharmacy websites. It says pharmacists are the primary source of health information. I was just wondering how-so. I'm asking this in all seriousness and would really appreciate an honest answer.
    Thank You

2. loo

loo Always Sleepy
    7+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    Ask your pharmacist. :rolleyes:

3. BMBiology

BMBiology temporarily banned~!
    15+ Year Member

Sometimes, pharmacists are asked essential questions like, "where's the key to the restroom?" That's when you know you are important. Someone's bladder is at stake for God's sake.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. loo

loo Always Sleepy
    7+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    With all due respect, you are wrong. THE essential question asked of you in community practice is:

"Where do you keep (insert non-essential item of choice here)?"

5. twester

twester Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Nuh-uuuh! The ESSENTIAL question is: "Can I ring my toilet paper up here?"

Seriously, though. It depends on the type of practice a community pharmacist wants to have. Many are intensely involved in immunization or disease state management programs. Some just dispense prescriptions, but I think those pharmacists may be putting themselves out of a job at some point in the future.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. loo

loo Always Sleepy
    7+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    I stand corrected.;)

7. The Fargoan

5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I was accused of "acting like a doctor" today by an irate patient. She took "your insurance won't pay for a refill, it is too early" to mean "you should completely stop taking Norvasc without speaking to your doctor because I, a lowly P2, like to mess with your world." She also said her doctor told her to take Diovan "as a water pill, only on days when she thought she needed it." And then she said her simvastatin was for her BP, so I stopped trying to confuse her with facts.

8. Storm90

Storm90 Accepted Pharmacy Student
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Hilarious! And just think, the world is full of them! I have a current patient who can only take white pills (regardless of what they do). In order for him to take non-white pills, he has to take 1mg folic acid to counteract the dyes involved. Because he knows better than MDs, RNs & PharmDs.

9. Megas

2+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Every day I get asked the weirdest health questions, it's hard not to laugh out loud. You will deal with much more than medication and drugs, and you will need a poker face. When you think you are going to laugh, try to bite your lip and look deeply concerned.

10. samisab786

5+ Year Member

LOL.

I don't really have ONE pharmacist because I go to 10 after repeatedly getting rejected for asking for another vial of insulin :(.

11. meister

meister Senior Member
    Physician Gold Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Try asking for an insulin syringe, then you'll know what it's like to be a criminal.

12. Knipps

Knipps In a 6 year program
    2+ Year Member

Depending on the state it's (il)legal. Not all of them will look at you funny.

13. samisab786

5+ Year Member

...I'm a diabetic.

Anyway, the pharmacists are supposed to give me three vials, but they only give me two because I guess they think two suffice for a month, but Novolog runs up fast with an insulin pump.