more than one POI in PS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neelloc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I am getting down to the wire on my applications. But now I am starting to worry because on most of my personal statements I have put more than one person in the program I would like to work with. On one hand, I think it's a good idea because it gives me more options, but on the other hand I don't want to seem like I don't know what I want to do. WHat is everyone else doing?

GOOD LUCK

Members don't see this ad.

My professor told me to put more than one person. I tried to as much as possible, but there are two or so in which I only put one person because I couldn't find anyone else in whose research I'd really want to work.

I did not mention POI's in my personal statement at all, should I alter my essay? Instead I mentioned my clinical/research experiences & interests (ones that matched up with members of the faculty to the programs I applied).

That said - I am applying to 2, 3, and 4's - more practice-oriented programs. Let me know what you all think.

Jon

Members don't see this ad :)
I did not mention POI's in my personal statement at all, should I alter my essay? Instead I mentioned my clinical/research experiences & interests (ones that matched up with members of the faculty to the programs I applied).

That said - I am applying to 2, 3, and 4's - more practice-oriented programs. Let me know what you all think.

Jon

I was told by my professor to always specify POI's.

cara s - ditto for me.

Jon4 - you usually need to put in POIs if you are applying to mentor-model programs and most practice-oriented programs (2s, 3s) are not like that. 4s may be another story since they are 50/50.

I was told by my professor to always specify POI's.
i'd definately put in around 2 POI's. Even if you're applyint to a program where yo rotate through labs before picking one, i'd still mention a few (you could mention more than 2 in this case, if applicable). in my ps i first introduced and discussed my interests then tied them into my POI's, and naturally my POI's interests were not polar opposites of each other (maybe different issues but both ultimately looking at sociocultural issues and illness expereince, lets say). if you are saying that your main interest is subthreshold anxiety disorder and pain expereince in cancer, or whatever, and you mention one cancer researcher and one person who does social support and aging, well that would be wierd, but s long as it all ties togeher and makes sense (and you show that through your writing) it's all good.

Okay, so I am getting down to the wire on my applications. But now I am starting to worry because on most of my personal statements I have put more than one person in the program I would like to work with. On one hand, I think it's a good idea because it gives me more options, but on the other hand I don't want to seem like I don't know what I want to do. WHat is everyone else doing?

GOOD LUCK

This is not a problem. No more than two or you look unfocused (unless everyone is working on the same exact area of research.)

Mark

I think it depends on the program and your contact to date with these POIs. If it's a program that adheres rigidly to the mentorship model (e.g., you start working with that prof. during your first year rather than exploring your options), I would suggest mentioning only one. Also, if you have been in contact with only one professor, weigh the risks of mentioning another person. One option (which I did on one application) is to state your desire to work with professor X while mentioning the ways in which your interests also align with professor Y.

That said, if it's a program that allows you to explore your options during the first year, and you haven't told a prof. there that you definitely want to work with them, it couldn't hurt to mention more potential POIs. I mentioned at least 4 profs for one such school (but my interests or past experiences did actually match up with theirs).

Last edited:
can anybody explain to me this 2's, 3's, 4's business?

can anybody explain to me this 2's, 3's, 4's business?

The Insider's Guide labels programs from 1-7, with 1 being completely practice oriented, 4 being split 50/50 between research and practice oriented, and 7 being completely research oriented.

Is it okay to only list one person? A lot of programs have no one else in an area even remotely related to my interest.

Or is it okay to list a person whose research isn't in my area, but I'm interested in, even though I have no research experience in it?

Is it okay to only list one person? A lot of programs have no one else in an area even remotely related to my interest.

Or is it okay to list a person whose research isn't in my area, but I'm interested in, even though I have no research experience in it?

It's ok to do whatever you want. If you think it's a good match and you can explain why in a cogent and logical fashion, go for it.

Mark

This is interesting, because I had always heard that you should only put 1 POI unless there were two that you were truly interested in working with (and who were taking students). That way, you wouldn't miss out on working with one because you 'over-specified'. If there's only one person with whom you'd like to work at a school, though, I wouldn't 'search' for a 2nd one. I think having a clear interest in one particular professor would actually be seen as a good thing at some schools, especially if that's the only professor that does research in the area in which you're interested. It shows focus, or something :)