Morton's Toe! What is this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cool_vkb

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Morton's toe or a Morton's foot refers to a specific foot type where the second toe is longer than the large toe/hallux.

"Sarah Palin's Morton toe is hampering her political career"

LOL! Nice excuse

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess it doesn't take much to hamper her career. I guess her next podiatric ailment will be putting her foot in her mouth.

I guess it doesn't take much to hamper her career. I guess her next podiatric ailment will be putting her foot in her mouth.

hahahaha that was good.....

Bunion corrections can cause a shortened first toe and hence an elongated second toe or Morton's foot.

Ah yes, I've metioned this to some of my patient's before ("Aha! You have a Morton's toe") and they've all given me the :confused: look, hehe.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is of particular concern to runners since the 2nd MT is more susceptible to stress fx's associated with the increased ground reaction forces of running, which leads me to my questions:

1) How much longer does the 2nd toe have to be than the first to be considered a Morton's toe? Or if it's any longer at all, it's a Morton's toe?

2) Other than surgery, what are some other solutions for Morton's toes. If orthotics, would it just be a MT pad behind #2/3, or/and a morton's extension?

Last edited:
I have a Morton's toe, and it serves me well. It is good for scratching my ankle and digging in the sand (if i was a female it would make a nice ring toe). In addition, it may make me run faster and jump higher. If you make me mad and I have to stick my foot up your @$$, you will really feel it. So, in conclusion, my long second toe has never held me back.

Last edited: