Step I Mosaic G protein signaling

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MudPhud20XX

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So FA has "McCune-Albright syndrome (mosaic G-protein signaling mutation)."

What the heck is "mosaic" G-protein signaling? Has anyone seen any q with regard to this dz/concept?
 
Hi

I once read a nice explanation for McCune-Albright, which helped me remember the pathology since...:

  1. Mutation causes growth signals (cGMP) to be translated into make-hormone signals (cAMP).
  2. In McCune-Albright, no two cases are the same.
a.k.a. "Somatic (postzygotic) mutation of the alpha subunit of the G3 protein that activities adenylate cyclase." (UpToDate)

Endocrinology: everything can be potentially upregulated... classically precocious puberty.. but also: thyrotoxicosis, gigantism or acromegaly, cushing syndrome, rickets... as mentioned, no two cases in McCune-Albright are the same.
Bones: "Are not growing" → but fibroblast (fibrous dysplasia of bone)
Skin: "Is not growing" → but dark pigments (café-au-lait skin pigmentation)

All the questions I saw on McCune albright's, as far as I remember, were about making the diagnosis and differentiate it to the other "cafe-au-lait"-conditions.

Have a good day!
 
Last edited:
Hi

I once read a nice explanation for McCune-Albright, which helped me remember the pathology since...:



Endocrinology: everything can be potentially upregulated... classically precocious puberty.. but also: thyrotoxicosis, gigantism or acromegaly, cushing syndrome, rickets... as mentioned, no two cases in McCune-Albright are the same.
Bones: "Are not growing" → but fibroblast (fibrous dysplasia of bone)
Skin: "Is not growing" → but dark pigments (café-au-lait skin pigmentation)

All the questions I saw on McCune albright's, as far as I remember, were about making the diagnosis and differentiate it to the other "cafe-au-lait"-conditions.

Have a good day!
Dang Keto, you a da man from Switzerland!