Most Attractive Volunteer Specialty?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phytomed17

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, Everyone!

I have a few clinics close to my college, and I am hoping to start volunteering at one this semester; I am curious if medical schools prefer experience in one type of practice over another.
For example, volunteering at an emergency clinic versus a dermatology or internal medicine private practice. Does such a preference exist? Thank you so much for your time!

In the past, I have worked for a Canadian Fertility Doctor, in an Autism Home, a Plastic Surgery Office, and for a Clinical Acupuncturist.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Some types of volunteer activities are more appealing than others. Volunteering in a nice suburban hospital is all very well and good and all, but doesn't show that you're willing to dig in and get your hands dirty in the same way that working with the developmentally disabled (or homeless, the dying, or Alzheimer’s or mentally ill or elderly or ESL or domestic, rural impoverished) does. The uncomfortable situations are the ones that really demonstrate your altruism and get you 'brownie points'. Plus, they frankly teach you more -- they develop your compassion and humanity in ways comfortable situations can't.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Some types of volunteer activities are more appealing than others. Volunteering in a nice suburban hospital is all very well and good and all, but doesn't show that you're willing to dig in and get your hands dirty in the same way that working with the developmentally disabled (or homeless, the dying, or Alzheimer’s or mentally ill or elderly or ESL or domestic, rural impoverished) does. The uncomfortable situations are the ones that really demonstrate your altruism and get you 'brownie points'. Plus, they frankly teach you more -- they develop your compassion and humanity in ways comfortable situations can't.
I am looking at contacting View Point Health - View Point Health

How do you feel about this over an emergency care clinic or dermatology office?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just be careful. Don't, under any circumstances, do something just because it will make you "look good" to adcoms. That is a quick ticket to unhappiness and it will show in your application and interviews. You need to find something that you actually enjoy doing.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Try different things and see which you like more or comfortable discussing in essays or interviews. See if your school has a free clinic.

Just be careful. Don't, under any circumstances, do something just because it will make you "look good" to adcoms. That is a quick ticket to unhappiness and it will show in your application and interviews. You need to find something that you actually enjoy doing.

strongly disagree with this.

while statements like these are easy to parade around, the unfortunate truth is that you simply isn't going to like everything that's required on the path to becoming a physician.

for starters, not many people 'likes' studying for MCAT, but we still did it no?

shadowing/i.e. afking in the patient's room for hundreds hours, or volunteering picking up dirty linens , doing scutwork for ur PI, etc.
u can try to convince urself and adcoms that u'd rather do the above than relaxing at some hobby in ur free time. but really, how many people actually enjoy the whole, or most of it? there might be some parts of volunteering or shadowing u enjoy but probably not the other 80% of the time.

even doctors have alot of tedious stuff that they don't like in their day. possibly most of their day. thats just life.

the interview is short, the whole point of interview "skills" are to essentially show things that might not be apparent, and possibly not even that true. its not hard to pretend for a few minutes on the interview that u at least don't hate the things u did to get to medical school

Reactions: 2 users
while statements like these are easy to parade around, the unfortunate truth is that you simply isn't going to like everything that's required on the path to becoming a physician.

Of course you won't like everything you do, but that wasn't my point. OPs question was between a few good options for ECs, which is where you have the most latitude, and OP should pick the one that is the best fit IMO.

For example, I teach ESL for non-clinical volunteering because I like teaching. That passion shows in essays, interviews, etc.. That should be a goal of the OP. The breadth of opportunities available for a lot of ECs is wide. OP should pick something they like from that list. If they like two activities similarly then do the one that stretches them more (like some of the activities @Goro suggested).

Reactions: 1 users
Of course you won't like everything you do, but that wasn't my point. OPs question was between a few good options for ECs, which is where you have the most latitude, and OP should pick the one that is the best fit IMO.

For example, I teach ESL for non-clinical volunteering because I like teaching. That passion shows in essays, interviews, etc.. That should be a goal of the OP. The breadth of opportunities available for a lot of ECs is wide. OP should pick something they like from that list.
I agree with this, but how much of serve less fortunate is required? I know there are some schools who emphasize a lot but is that majority of schools or most likely you need to show that you are comfortable working with all categories of the society?

I agree with this, but how much of serve less fortunate is required? I know there are some schools who emphasize a lot but is that majority of schools or most likely you need to show that you are comfortable working with all categories of the society?

I would not say the majority of schools require serving the less fortunate, but it shows that you are willing to get your hands dirty, which is good at every school. How much totally depends on the school. It is more important at schools like Rush, Tulane, and the Jesuit schools (Loyola, Georgetown, Creighton, SLU).

Reactions: 1 users
imo they are all equal. Pick the place that has the best views while you're giving directions and handing out ice chips or sandwiches :horns:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

I think working with the less fortunate is going to be seen as a positive at every school. It’s an absolute requirement for the Jesuit schools, and possibly state schools as well. IDK, maybe the Stanfords of the world don’t care as much. Go read through some secondary prompts and medical school mission statements, and you’ll see that a focus on working with underserved patients is extremely common.

Hopefully it’s just common sense that having experience working with people with complex medical and/or social needs is beneficial to a medical school application.

Reactions: 1 user
Why should you volunteer at a private clinic that is operated for profit? If there is a need, they should hire employees to do the work.

A non-profit hospital or a federally qualified health clinic that operates on a shoe-string and that can't afford to hire employees to do some necessar tasks will need you more than a tidy private practice office does.

Reactions: 7 users
This >> ER clinic >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>derm office

Slightly different question, but how would you compare ER volunteering to working as a medical assistant in something like a derm office. Is there a certain amount of volunteering hours I should get prior to working? Does one look better than the other? Etc...

For example would 200hrs ER volunteering/1000 hours medical assisting look better than 1000 hours ER volunteering/200hrs medical assisting?

Slightly different question, but how would you compare ER volunteering to working as a medical assistant in something like a derm office. Is there a certain amount of volunteering hours I should get prior to working? Does one look better than the other? Etc...

For example would 200hrs ER volunteering/1000 hours medical assisting look better than 1000 hours ER volunteering/200hrs medical assisting?
as long as you're interacting with patients and doing things for as long as you're interacting with patients and doing things for them, it doesn't really matter. Although one could say in a Dermatology office the patients are more like clients.

the real deal is that you just simply need to show us that you like being around sick people and that you know what you're getting into

In addition, it's important to do what you love and love what you do. This Thread is dripping with the mindset of "what will make me look good?."

It's not about making you look good, it's about doing for you, not us.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Do something you can enjoy sustainably. Volunteering is a time commitment, but can be rewarding in the right setting. I personally did not enjoy my experience in the ER, but my time in the S/T ICU shaped my application - I spent about a 1 1/2 years there as opposed to the typical 6 mo. commitment.