Most common cause of delayed PACU discharge

Started by IkeBoy18
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

IkeBoy18

Full Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ive been reading these studies and they all seem to lump PONV, drowsiness and pain into one category. Granted I cant see the details as I am looking from home. In your experience, what has been the most common clinical reason for delayed discharge from the PACU?
 
Last edited:
I would say it is the nurse taking care of the patient. They all have their agenda. At night they don't tend to discharge because they don't want to end up on some floor cleaning poop.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Nursing by far. Either shift change, no bed, delaying pacu d/c so they won't have to take another pt. Luckily this doesn't happen so much at my facility. Also, with an all MD/DO anesthesia group our pacu stays are not very long at all. I would bet the average stay is less than 30 min. Could be closer to 20 min but I'd have to check on that.