MOst common cause of hypocalcemia?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tarsuc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Goljan says its hypoalbuminemia, while others say its chronic renal failure.

Now please dont say both mean the same.?
:(
I thought the mech of hypocalcemia in crf is related to low vitamin d.

Someone should really start replying to my "most common" posts :)

Members don't see this ad.

I think the "most common cause of X" questions are rarely cut and dry, and almost never settled. I haven't seen any questions about hypocalcemia or hyperlipidemia that don't involve more information that points you toward a particular pathology. It's much more helpful to know the pathophys behind all of these, and make the Dx based on the context.

If you can't figure it out through google I doubt anyone here is going to be able to help you. If they're going to ask any dry "most common" questions it'll be something well established that you'll be able to look up easily.

Actually you can figure it out through google. Try that first.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/241893-overview#aw2aab6b2b3

yup. thanks man! goljan it is!

saw CRF in one too many forum posts after googling.

i shoudl learn to stick to one forum like sdn. :)

thanks again

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess the most common cause is thyroid surgery (as parathyroid glands are removed unintentionally). The second most common cause is chronic renal failure.

i mean, you are correct to say that accidentally parathyroid removal would cause hypocalcemia.. but it's just not the most common cause as goljan says.

You guys have to remember that most commons are forever temporary... and while Goljan might have said it's most common 12yrs ago.... it always changes... Goljan's says that the most common cause of Nephrotic syndrome is DMGN... while that may have been correct back then, we know now that it's FSGN....

Most common cause of death used to be gastric adenoma... but it's no where even near the top due to the advent of triple therapy.

I think the only most commons needed for this exam will be found in First Aid or other solid "review book".... if it aint there - I wouldn't bother.

You guys have to remember that most commons are forever temporary... and while Goljan might have said it's most common 12yrs ago.... it always changes... Goljan's says that the most common cause of Nephrotic syndrome is DMGN... while that may have been correct back then, we know now that it's FSGN....

Most common cause of death used to be gastric adenoma... but it's no where even near the top due to the advent of triple therapy.

I think the only most commons needed for this exam will be found in First Aid or other solid "review book".... if it aint there - I wouldn't bother.

i'm sorry, i was talking about Goljan's Rapid Review Path book.. which is from 2011 so it is quite accurate (including classifying FSGN as the most common nephrotic)

If you can't figure it out through google I doubt anyone here is going to be able to help you. If they're going to ask any dry "most common" questions it'll be something well established that you'll be able to look up easily.

Actually you can figure it out through google. Try that first.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/241893-overview#aw2aab6b2b3

The second sentence in this link is probably more high yield than the original question posted.

" In patients who are critically ill, low calcium levels can be simply due to hypoalbuminemia, which has no clinical significance because the active fraction (ionized) is not affected. "

It doesn't really matter. Just know that both can cause it and interpret the question based on that knowledge.

(Also, remember that lab-wise, patients with low albumin will look hypocalcemic, but their ionized calcium is often normal. In real life you use a formula to correct for it and don't replaced it if it's wnl after that.)

EDIT: Beat me to it above.