Most Fun City With Medical School

Started by ADORE
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Most Enjoyable Big City with Medical School

  • Boston

    Votes: 29 8.5%
  • Chicago

    Votes: 43 12.6%
  • Honolulu

    Votes: 15 4.4%
  • Houston

    Votes: 15 4.4%
  • Los Angeles

    Votes: 21 6.1%
  • Las vegas

    Votes: 15 4.4%
  • Miami

    Votes: 41 12.0%
  • New York

    Votes: 91 26.6%
  • Portland

    Votes: 7 2.0%
  • San Diego

    Votes: 17 5.0%
  • San Francisco

    Votes: 33 9.6%
  • Seattle

    Votes: 12 3.5%
  • Stanford

    Votes: 3 0.9%

  • Total voters
    342
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How does one type the sentence "Most fun city with a medical school" and fail to mention New Orleans, LA?

You obviously did not make a "final cut," but rather quickly listed a few cities you happened to know. The fact that you did not think of New Orleans is sad. It's a great city and though I would probably in the end vote for New York, leaving New Orleans out of this poll renders the whole poll worthless.
 
On a med student's budget, Boston/NYC/Chicago would be miserable. I'd rather live in Pittsburgh/Portland/Houston/Baltimore/Atlanta any time.

If mommy and daddy are paying your way, I guess it's a totally different story.
 
Philly is awesome, especially where Jefferson is at. Best part of town and a few blocks from china town - walking distance to old city, the best restaurants, nightlife, etc. It has to be one of the best locations for any med schools in the country.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Orlando anyone???

Disney world >>>>> Disney land

for some one like me that lived in Central Florida. Disney world gets OLD pretty quick.

How about??
Tallahassee, FL>>>> FSUCOM!!
It is a great place for, hiking, fishing, hunting, (any outdoorsy)
 
Even though I'm from Chicago and would love to go back for med school, a lot of the other cities sound really appealing, especially Pittsburgh. It would definitely be more financially friendly

And ugh New York-it's everyone default answer and go to city. It shouldn't be allowed on these lists anymore haha
 
And ugh New York-it's everyone default answer and go to city. It shouldn't be allowed on these lists anymore haha
I used to think this too...until I went to Manhattan. It's my favorite place in the country. I haven't been to Chicago or San Francisco though.
 
Boston was the greatest for undergrad so I'm going to throw some love in the poll for their med schools since my city didn't make the cut (and even then I wouldn't vote for it.)
 
And ugh New York-it's everyone default answer and go to city. It shouldn't be allowed on these lists anymore haha

hatersgonnahateeagle142.jpg
 
what about phoenix? great climate, lots of sports (nba, nhl, nfl, mlb, fiesta bowl, march madness), great food, lots of activities like hiking, etc also it is the 6th most populated city in the nation 👍
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Where's Philly? It's a big city with tons of med schools, so I'm surprise it's not on the list.
Right? And > or = 2 hours from the beach, the mountains, and NYC (with a lower CoL). Philly isn't on this list but Portland and Houston are (nothing against either of those cities, but come on)?

Philadelphia is only a good place for three activities:

1) eating cheese steaks
2) getting killed
3) getting killed while eating cheese steaks


😉
:laugh:

You forgot being born and raised in west Philadelphia. But seriously if I got killed while eating a cheese steak at least I'd die a happy man.
No kidding.
 
Last edited:
The Pittsburgh Pirates, bringing shame to the land since 1912.
Ben Roethlisberger, embarrassing the city since 2004.
The Pittsburgh Penguins, mediocre since before I was born.

lol wut? 3 time stanley cup winners since 91. i dont see the flyers on the list there brah 😀


my vote goes out to miami & LA.

edit: make that NYC & LA.
 
Right? And > or = 2 hours from the beach, the mountains, and NYC (with a lower CoL). Philly isn't on this list but Portland and Houston are (nothing against either of those cities, but come on)?

I'd have more issue with Houston over Dallas, but that's another story.

Portland should be removed; unless you like rain and ****ty indie music, it kinda sucks. Dallas > Houston. Oh, and Hot-lanta should definitely be on the list. No Phoenix/Tempe/Scottsdale?

And really? No Madison, WI or Austin, TX? Those are party schools for a reason. Same with no Denver/Boulder? Seems you just randomly picked large cities you could recall off the top of your head.

For everyone saying the major US cities (half of whom I suspect have never actually been to those cities) you won't actually enjoy the "nightlife" in LA/NYC/SF/Miami on a med school budget. $17 for a drink? Ballin on a budget, indeed. I'd probably throw Boston and Chicago in with the other four, but I don't have experience with those cities so I couldn't say for sure.
 
Sports + food + affordability = Chicago
Weather = LA + San Diego
Like spending lots of money and crappy pizza = NYC
 
. I'd probably throw Boston and Chicago in with the other four, but I don't have experience with those cities so I couldn't say for sure.

Boston has to have one of the most overrated nightlifes in the country. Almost all the bars close by 1 AM, and if you manage to find one that doesn't it's full of [insert waspy frat kid stereotype here]

But yes, if you can put up with the winter, Chicago is up there with any city on this list, and more affordable.
 
If you can get past the winters, Madison is one of the best college towns in the country. You like college sports? I DARE you to find a better college sports town than Madison. During the summer, there is no place I would rather live than Madison; during the winter, I just keep reminding myself how often this place is during the summer 😀
 
If you can get past the winters, Madison is one of the best college towns in the country. You like college sports? I DARE you to find a better college sports town than Madison. During the summer, there is no place I would rather live than Madison; during the winter, I just keep reminding myself how often this place is during the summer 😀

Errr...any SEC town. And its summer year-round there. Madison is sweet tho.
 
Errr...any SEC town. And its summer year-round there.

Got to give a shout out to LSU. Tailgating capital of college football. Crawfish boils during spring for baseball (teams performing poorly this year however).

Only an 1-hour from the "most fun city not listed in the poll" and we get football tickets (and free admission to all the other sports).

:banana: :banana:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How is New Orleans not a poll option?

Made a trip there for Mardi Gras in 2010 and had a blast. A lot of new development. The city has definitely come back strong.

I think I read somewhere that the Mardi Gras crowd for 2011 was one of the largest in history...?
 
Too Small: Madison, Stanford
Too not-fun: Houston

Glad to see Atlanta didn't make cut, its nice, but not "most fun" nice.
 
I just don't get how chicago is so high. ITS FREEZING THERE so only fun for about 5 months and none for the rest.
 
Philly is awesome, especially where Jefferson is at. Best part of town and a few blocks from china town - walking distance to old city, the best restaurants, nightlife, etc. It has to be one of the best locations for any med schools in the country.

For someone who had spent next to no time in this city prior to moving here, I've grown to enjoy it. I'd MUCH rather be in Philly as a med student than NYC/Boston/DC. It's a lot more affordable here, and really you have just as many entertainment options as the above. Best sports on the whole East Coast too. My friends that matched to Boston/LA/NYC are all wondering how they're going to realistically afford rent.

Chicago is also surprisingly affordable as long as you aren't trying to live too close to Northwestern or anything. Baltimore can be fun, but not as much to do as Philly. I actually think Detroit would be a fun place to be a med student, especially if you're into the whole dive bar scene. I loved Pittsburgh when I interviewed.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Philly is awesome, especially where Jefferson is at. Best part of town and a few blocks from china town - walking distance to old city, the best restaurants, nightlife, etc. It has to be one of the best locations for any med schools in the country.

+1 more, I love the Jefferson area, great restaurants and beautiful scenery. I'm from NYC and I choose philly. real cool place to be.

In conclusion: fail poll, fail thread
 
Looks like NYC is the winner, but I'm wondering if it's biased because it's got so many med schools...