Most heavily weighted topics on current MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ej37

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you that have taken the MCAT (especially multiple times) since its recent changes, I was just wondering what you thought the most heavilly weighted topics were. I have not yet taken the MCAT, but from what I have gathered on SDN:

Chem:
Solution Chemistry, Kinetics, Thermodynamics

Physics:
Newton's Laws, Buoyancy equation, waves

Bio:
Mendelian Genetics, Molecular Genetics, Microbiology, Nervous System

Orgo:
Knowledge of functional groups and a few basic reactions, stereochemistry

What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

For those of you that have taken the MCAT (especially multiple times) since its recent changes, I was just wondering what you thought the most heavilly weighted topics were. I have not yet taken the MCAT, but from what I have gathered on SDN:

Chem:
Solution Chemistry, Kinetics, Thermodynamics

Physics:
Newton's Laws, Buoyancy equation, waves

Bio:
Mendelian Genetics, Molecular Genetics, Microbiology, Nervous System

Orgo:
Knowledge of functional groups and a few basic reactions, stereochemistry

What do you think?

some more I would add for bio...
pathway of blood and where is oxygenated and where is deoxygenated
glycolysis and the kreb's cycle
the entire nervous system
know all hormones, where they are synthesized and what their function is.
osteoclast, osteoblast
special amino acids (the only one with just H as a side chain, the only one which forms disulfide bonds, the imino acid, acidic, basic, ect.)

Orgo is very simple. Know general reactions and functional groups and ISOMERS (what each type is and examples).

As for general chem and physics, it is all fair game. I had no motion, inclined plane, free fall or anything like that. Electricity seems to be popular. Also, Vesper in a popular subject. Good luck!

some more I would add for bio...
pathway of blood and where is oxygenated and where is deoxygenated
glycolysis and the kreb's cycle
the entire nervous system
know all hormones, where they are synthesized and what their function is.
osteoclast, osteoblast
special amino acids (the only one with just H as a side chain, the only one which forms disulfide bonds, the imino acid, acidic, basic, ect.)

Orgo is very simple. Know general reactions and functional groups and ISOMERS (what each type is and examples).

As for general chem and physics, it is all fair game. I had no motion, inclined plane, free fall or anything like that. Electricity seems to be popular. Also, Vesper in a popular subject. Good luck!

So, basically know it all!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
So, basically know it all!!!

basically! haha! you just never know and the one subject you decide to skip will more than likely be the one you get an entire passage and then some on!

By the way, everything that came up on my mcat was emphasized my examkrackers. I did not take a formal course and feel that these books saved my life! Some of the stuff is just in one sentence, so make sure to pay attention to everything seeing how they really condense the material.

basically! haha! you just never know and the one subject you decide to skip will more than likely be the one you get an entire passage and then some on!

Happened to me last time!! I got an EM passage and had no clue because I really did not understand it last time and tried to get away with it.

My advice is to at least have a general idea about every subject on the AAMC topic list.