Most helpful class for the MCAT...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shrami

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which of the following classes do you think would be most helpful for the MCAT? I can only pick one of these:

*Mammalian Anatomy and Physiology
*Molecular Biology
*Genetics

Thanks for the input!

Members don't see this ad.

Shrami said:
Which of the following classes do you think would be most helpful for the MCAT? I can only pick one of these:

*Mammalian Anatomy and Physiology
*Molecular Biology
*Genetics

Thanks for the input!

Genetics
GeneticsGenetics
GeneticsGeneticsGenetics
GeneticsGeneticsGeneticsGenetics

Members don't see this ad :)
Physiology for sure. It's true that there is a lot of genetics on the mcat, but mostly the more basic concepts that you would learn in a general bio course. I would go with physio to get the most bang for your buck.

HeavyA said:
Physiology for sure. It's true that there is a lot of genetics on the mcat, but mostly the more basic concepts that you would learn in a general bio course. I would go with physio to get the most bang for your buck.

I would second the physiology if it was Human Physiology

learning about the other animals is a waste of time

(make sure it is an actual science physiology course
and not some allied health A & P as well)

definitely physiology... the genetics isn't very hard as long as you study from your bio notes.

I took a course called "Animal Physiology" and we only studied physiology as it relates to humans (it wasn't a comparative physiology course)--so check with the professor to make sure!

I also agree that basic genetics concepts can be gleaned from gen bio or a review book........

-tx

i don't understand why people keep stressing genetics. i didn't have one passage on genetics. biochem and physiology helped a ton.

wendywellesley said:
i don't understand why people keep stressing genetics. i didn't have one passage on genetics. biochem and physiology helped a ton.

When did you take the MCAT? 2 years ago, they took away a portion of organic chem and added in additional genetics in its place.....

wendywellesley said:

I had 3 passages on genetics! :scared: :scared: (I took the MCAT last April)

The only ochem passages I had (2) were from a biochemistry perspective....

-tx

the genetics stuff is totally basic and would have definately been covered in any intro course. on the other hand, my intro bio courses had no human physiology at all - it was only cell and evolutionary bio. the mcat has questions about enzymes and organ systems. they are pretty basic too, but the info was not in my intro, and i am told is not covered for a lot of people. so if you didn't cover that stuff, go for physio. if you did, then it doesnt matter what you take because very little extra bio suff can actually help you. biochem is the only thing that seems to make people more comfortable with the random structures they throw at you, but you dont need it at all.

As a MCAT instructor I can tell you that physiology would be your best bet as long as you learn about HUMAN physiology.

The biochem is minimal and easily learned and so is the genetics. Sure they have increased the amount of genetics but it is sooooo easy that you should already have learned what you need to know in your bio classes. If not, it is easily acquired info.

Gandhian philosophy. It taught me how to relax. :laugh:

Any way - out of your three choices, I would definitely go with Mamm. Phys. I took it, and we used the Guyton medical physiology book. You learn human physiology, and it helps out a lot on the MCAT. I also took genetics before the MCAT, and out of the two, I was glad to have taken physiology much more.

Also, I rpersonally don't think you need an entire course in genetics to understand MCAT genetics. Maybe it was just the form I had, but it had fairly basic genetics on it that you could easily pick up from a review book.

definitely molecular biology. you don't need to know much genetics at ALL for the MCAT... definitely no more than you'll learn in regular bio. plus, in molecular bio you'll certainly go through protein synthesis and DNA replication, both of which are big topics in the bio section.

Ambs said:
Gandhian philosophy. It taught me how to relax. :laugh:

Any way - out of your three choices, I would definitely go with Mamm. Phys. I took it, and we used the Guyton medical physiology book. You learn human physiology, and it helps out a lot on the MCAT. I also took genetics before the MCAT, and out of the two, I was glad to have taken physiology much more.

Also, I rpersonally don't think you need an entire course in genetics to understand MCAT genetics. Maybe it was just the form I had, but it had fairly basic genetics on it that you could easily pick up from a review book.
my vote for phys

myodana said:
definitely molecular biology. you don't need to know much genetics at ALL for the MCAT... definitely no more than you'll learn in regular bio. plus, in molecular bio you'll certainly go through protein synthesis and DNA replication, both of which are big topics in the bio section.

i agree...

most of the "genetics" questions on the mcat were those that were really molecular biology questions. whatever the hell your school wants to call it, take the course that details what myodana explained above.