Most Important DAT sections

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

melmu001

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to know what are the most important DAT sections does the adcoms look as in priority?

Members don't see this ad.

It varies from school to school, but it's usually AA≥TS>PAT. PAT is a bit weird because some schools will use it to predict how you will do in clinic while others don't. As for the section that means the least, its QR.

Last edited:
What about RC? What happens if you have a low RC subscore?

Members don't see this ad :)
The way I see it, RC is what schools use to determine one's ability to take, comprehend, and apply information. So with respect to each school's curriculum, its what they use to predict how you would do once in DS. This isn't always the case though as some schools won't weigh its importance as heavily as other schools. As long as you don't have below a 15-17 in RC, I wouldn't worry about it as some schools have cut-offs.

The way I see it, RC is what schools use to determine one's ability to take, comprehend, and apply information. So with respect to each school's curriculum, its what they use to predict how you would do once in DS. This isn't always the case though as some schools won't weigh its importance as heavily as other schools. As long as you don't have below a 15-17 in RC, I wouldn't worry about it as some schools have cut-offs.
What schools weigh the RC as the most important? Do you have a list. Tufts do not have a RC minimum anymore as I looked into their website or they have misplaced it somewhere. BTW do you have a list of schools that weigh it most important?

If you had a low undergrad gpa below a 3.0 and right now in a masters I had achieved 3.3-3.4 so does Marquette Dental School favor the Masters over the undergrad since my undergrad is old as 2010 and masters has begun since 2015? Or how does the adcoms review the application??? Is it upward trend? I had a 2.81 sgpa and 2.83 ogpa in my undergrad and with a 3.3-3.4 gpa in masters brought the cumulative(combined grad and undergrad) gpas to slightly below a 3.0 with +/- and w/o +/-. Can I still get into the Marquette dental program with my stats??

I have no clue. DS are usually pretty vague about these things.
This old post might give you a better idea of how important each section is.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/dat-score-order-of-importance.428887/

If you had a low undergrad gpa below a 3.0 and right now in a masters I had achieved 3.3-3.4 so does Marquette Dental School favor the Masters over the undergrad since my undergrad is old as 2010 and masters has begun since 2015? Or how does the adcoms review the application??? Is it upward trend? I had a 2.81 sgpa and 2.83 ogpa in my undergrad and with a 3.3-3.4 gpa in masters brought the cumulative(combined grad and undergrad) gpas to slightly below a 3.0 with +/- and w/o +/-. Can I still get into the Marquette dental program with my stats??

I don't know. You're asking very specific questions that no one but the adcoms will be able to answer. If you are serious and passionate about dentistry and work hard you'll eventually get in. If you are concerned with your GPA, I'd recommend getting a higher DAT score to make up for it. If you're worried about your DAT score, then raise your GPA. In general, GPA is king.

RC is incredibly important from an admissions standpoint. AA> TS > RC > PAT > QR.

Reactions: 3 users

Most schools have told me RC is the heaviest, but from observation I think it is AA. QR is the least. RC determines how well you can comprehend information on the spot without being tricked, fooled, or worse... misinterpreting vital information. The rest of the exam is just from memorization and, if you're lucky, everything you studied and remembered was asked on the day of the exam.

Now about upward trend, poor undergrad, and below 3.5 grad.... I'll be blunt with you, no. You'll never get in unless you are luckier or have some serious connects. If you read any of my posts, I had a poor start in college, I then graduated with honors for my BS, I finished a MS with a 3.9 and a thesis and publications and this is my 4th time applying. This is my first year applying to Marquette though and the previous cycles I was rejected to AT Still and this year I got rejected again EVEN AFTER I adhered to what they wanted for this year. Dental school is brutal and it is time consuming and costly. If this is what you want, don't give up but you need a higher Masters GPA and you may even need to do a second Masters or PhD. You can PM me if you'd like and I'd be more than happy to share with you the knowledge I've accumulated over this arduous journey.

Reactions: 1 user
Most schools have told me RC is the heaviest, but from observation I think it is AA. QR is the least. RC determines how well you can comprehend information on the spot without being tricked, fooled, or worse... misinterpreting vital information. The rest of the exam is just from memorization and, if you're lucky, everything you studied and remembered was asked on the day of the exam.

Now about upward trend, poor undergrad, and below 3.5 grad.... I'll be blunt with you, no. You'll never get in unless you are luckier or have some serious connects. If you read any of my posts, I had a poor start in college, I then graduated with honors for my BS, I finished a MS with a 3.9 and a thesis and publications and this is my 4th time applying. This is my first year applying to Marquette though and the previous cycles I was rejected to AT Still and this year I got rejected again EVEN AFTER I adhered to what they wanted for this year. Dental school is brutal and it is time consuming and costly. If this is what you want, don't give up but you need a higher Masters GPA and you may even need to do a second Masters or PhD. You can PM me if you'd like and I'd be more than happy to share with you the knowledge I've accumulated over this arduous journey.

@melmu001 Did you mean to write something after quoting me? I don't see any reply.

I would like to know what are the most important DAT sections does the adcoms look as in priority?
I've heard from other people that the most important sections are RC, PAT and BIO. The dean of admissions from UDM told me that the math score doesn't matter, it just cant be awful.

AA is def the most important and QR the least from what i have heard