Most important MCAT section?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
S

Shania

Which section do you guys think it is the most important to do well in. (...Of course all of them) But I heard some schools really like if the verbal is high? What do you guys think? Please name some schools in particular if you know of them? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You are probably correct about the Verbal being given the most weight. The reason probably is that high science scores can be a reflection of preparedness. (I.E. biochem. majors typical kick a@@ onthe bio section and engineering majors rock the physical) The verbal supposedly is a raw intelligence test. However, english majors and such might be more prepared for this section as well.

Do med schools really analyze your MCAT all that much and break it down by section?

------------------
"There is nothing more powerful on this Earth as a man who has nothing to lose. It does not take ten such men to change the world--one will do." Elijah Mohammed

Members don't see this ad :)
This is just my speculation, but I would think that it would make sense to look at the different sections on an individual basis in conjunction with your grades. If they flag a low grade in certain prereq courses, they'll probably look more closely at the MCAT scores for that section to get a better sense of what you abilities are like in that area. For instance, if your physics grades aren't so hot, the ADCOMS may take a close look at the PS section.

Also keep in mind that an even distribution of scores tends to look better than a very wide disparity. (ie, it's considered better to have all 11's than say a 13-V and 10's on bio and phys.)

For the first time ever, I heard an admissions person say that the verbal score is sometimes ignored and the writing is looked at a little more.

I couldn't believe this when I heard it. But I think it may be especially the case for students who speak English as a second language (what I mean is students who recently moved to the states, not just bilingual students who were educated here most of their lives).

I guess I am naturally stupid because I scored a 7 in VR. Damn.

I've also heard that verbal is an important section. I just went through the application process in Texas and heard this comment made at several interviews, especially at UT Houston.

I think verbal is considered important for a couple of reasons. One would be that it shows you can easily grasp concepts and a quick summary from a detailed narrative. In the real world this translates to being able to quickly "boil the BS" out of reams of medical info. The other reason to look at the verbal is to differentiate between interview candidates who are mostly assumed to be equally skilled in the sciences.

Just my musings on the subject. Btw, I had an 11 Verbal and 8's on the two sciences (I'm not a typical "science major" though).

Morris, a low verbal score is not a sign of stupidity. It has to do with quickness in reading and understanding what you are reading. Part of doing well on the VR is broad general knowledge, not just science, and part is technique (there is such a thing) in mutltiple choice test taking: working quickly and an ability to make good guesses (because wrong answers are not penalized, they count the same as not answering at all). That is a skill that can be taught, but MCAT review courses don't usually teach it. And it helps to have been a reader, in English, since you were young. The kind of reader I have in mind is called a (small c) catholic reader. Why catholic? Catholic with a small c is from the Greek for "universal"; the (capital C) Catholic church means the universal (Christian) Church, which it essentially was before the rise of Protestantism. Being a catholic reader means reading widely in many different subject areas, including fiction; being a "universal reader."