Most important topics to pay attention to in General bio?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jla791

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I’m taking general bio 1 with lab, and as far as I know this is really the base of all future bio classes and there’s tons of info! I love all of the topics that we will be going over but wanted some insight on which topics I should particularly try to master for the MCAT; I know the MCAT is a bit away but I just wanted to see if there were some topics in gen bio that I should focus more of my time on compared to others.

At my college, gen bio 1 goes through the typical cellular level functions and stuff like enzymes and macromolecules whereas gen bio 2 is where we study pretty much only human systems and domains/kingdoms.

I also am in the lab which focuses on converting measurements in the metric system and studying parts of the microscope/cell; will the topics in the lab be as important as the lecture? As of now it seems like the lab isn’t as vital to future bio.

Thank you all! By the way, I am a bio major so I know I should try and master ALL material in gen bio but just wanted to see if there are any stand outs. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

I’m taking general bio 1 with lab, and as far as I know this is really the base of all future bio classes and there’s tons of info! I love all of the topics that we will be going over but wanted some insight on which topics I should particularly try to master for the MCAT; I know the MCAT is a bit away but I just wanted to see if there were some topics in gen bio that I should focus more of my time on compared to others.

At my college, gen bio 1 goes through the typical cellular level functions and stuff like enzymes and macromolecules whereas gen bio 2 is where we study pretty much only human systems and domains/kingdoms.

I also am in the lab which focuses on converting measurements in the metric system and studying parts of the microscope/cell; will the topics in the lab be as important as the lecture? As of now it seems like the lab isn’t as vital to future bio.

Thank you all! By the way, I am a bio major so I know I should try and master ALL material in gen bio but just wanted to see if there are any stand outs. :)
There is a "study guide" that lists the topics that appear on the MCAT. This will answer your question effectively.

https://students-residents.aamc.org/applying-medical-school/article/whats-mcat-exam/

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys,

By the time you get to the MCAT a lot of the basic Biology is ingrained into you, so I don't think it would be very productive now to worry about that. Just focus on doing well in the course and when you begin to take upper level courses like Biochemistry, Cell/Molecular Biology, etc. then perhaps re-visit this conversation. Also note that the MCAT only tests a certain extent of concepts that you will be taught in class and that there are many generalizations that are made (of which could hurt your in-class performance if you focus on them too much now.)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
By the time you get to the MCAT a lot of the basic Biology is ingrained into you, so I don't think it would be very productive now to worry about that. Just focus on doing well in the course and when you begin to take upper level courses like Biochemistry, Cell/Molecular Biology, etc. then perhaps re-visit this conversation. Also note that the MCAT only tests a certain extent of concepts that you will be taught in class and that there are many generalizations that are made (of which could hurt your in-class performance if you focus on them too much now.)

Thank you.
Also, concerning the classes for the MCAT, since a lot medical schools don’t require uppderdivison bio classes such as biochem, what does that have to say for the MCAT? Will the gen bio’s, chems, and physics be suffient for the MCAT? Will I be doomed if I don’t take bio chem before the MCAT?

According to my track, I’ll be taking upper division bio before the MCAT but I’ll be taking biochem the semester I plan to take the MCAT. Will some / a majority of the biochem on the MCAT also be in Gen bio/ gen chem? Or are classes in upper division like bio chem really necessary?

Thank you.
Also, concerning the classes for the MCAT, since a lot medical schools don’t require uppderdivison bio classes such as biochem, what does that have to say for the MCAT? Will the gen bio’s, chems, and physics be suffient for the MCAT? Will I be doomed if I don’t take bio chem before the MCAT?

According to my track, I’ll be taking upper division bio before the MCAT but I’ll be taking biochem the semester I plan to take the MCAT. Will some / a majority of the biochem on the MCAT also be in Gen bio/ gen chem? Or are classes in upper division like bio chem really necessary?
Take biochem before the MCAT. And no, it will not be covered in general bio and general or inorganic chemistry.

Thank you.

Although you don't have to take biochemistry before the MCAT / medical school, it would fare you well to do so. Personally, I think biochemistry is the highest yield subject on the MCAT, the other upper level biology classes are less likely to be tested upon; however, specific concepts, e.g. gram-positive/negative bacteria will be covered in your MCAT prep.