Most Labor Intensive Specialties (Physically)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpagoBMS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's a question I've wondered about for quite some time but haven't had the best luck getting great info on it.

What are the most and least physically demanding specialties? And by that I actually mean physical labor. I know ortho requires some heavy lifting that can really strain your body and I've talked to a few GI docs who say they've suffered wrist, back, and thumb injuries.

I'm susceptible to repetitive stress injuries e.g. I had bad carpal tunnel working at a desk at a previous job. I'd like a specialty that's active where I'm required to walk a decent amount and where I'm not chained to the desk but at the same time, my body is fragile so I can't be doing heavy lifting or a lot of intricate stitching procedures or using my hands or any body part in a very repetitive motion all day e.g. navigating endoscopes.

Would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Here's a question I've wondered about for quite some time but haven't had the best luck getting great info on it.

What are the most and least physically demanding specialties? And by that I actually mean physical labor. I know ortho requires some heavy lifting that can really strain your body and I've talked to a few GI docs who say they've suffered wrist, back, and thumb injuries.

I'm susceptible to repetitive stress injuries e.g. I had bad carpal tunnel working at a desk at a previous job. I'd like a specialty that's active where I'm required to walk a decent amount and where I'm not chained to the desk but at the same time, my body is fragile so I can't be doing heavy lifting or a lot of intricate stitching procedures or using my hands or any body part in a very repetitive motion all day e.g. navigating endoscopes.

Psych, IM, some IM subspecialties.

Its true that if you have bad posture you will develop problems as a GI physician. Its all about ergonomics, scoping with comfortable shoes. It helps to have long fingers while scoping though. I personally don't think basic EGD/ Colons are too physically taxing though I am currently just a first year fellow.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
labor intensive i'd say ortho. i've seen some overzealous ER docs and general surgeons who hurt themselves too.
if you can't do repetitive or "stitching" I would stay away from surgery, and go toward the medical side of things, like IM.

ID and other IM subspecialties with no procedures

Psychiatry or Pathology would be your best bet. Anything mentally stressful will take a toll on your body through psychological means (tense neck, etc.). I've known IM residents to get sciatica symptoms and herniated cervical disks so while it isn't Neurosurg, it's probably not easy on the body.

Last edited:
Psychiatry or Pathology would be your best bet. Anything mentally stressful will take a toll on your body through psychological means (tense neck, etc.). I've known IM residents to get sciatica symptoms and herniatic cervical disks so while it isn't Neurosurg, it's probably not easy on the body.

actually path can be pretty tough... just as many hours in a chair but maybe even more stooped over the microscope than the IM resident seated at comp screen, and they have to load and unload those slides pretty quick... repetitive injury is a big problem. the saving grace is dictation

my friend was a forensic pathologist, and would go to the crime scenes and handle the bodies, then do the dissection
gross anatomy lab IIRC was a lot of work
and manipulating limbs can be heavy work

Best field of medicine is Neurology - a good mix of light physical duty doing neurological exams and concise notes (not nearly as much time documenting as IM)

I have a BMI of 38 and I intend to reach 40 by the end of residency. Which specialty is best for me to reach my goal?

How do you have CT from Radiology? Is it just from being at a computer all day?

Scrolling the mouse all day.

Actually, it's mostly a lame joke. I got a nice ergonomic mouse and I use a Dictaphone for a majority of my tasks. Compared to IM, I feel like I'm using my hands less for computer-related stuff than in radiology.

Neurosurgery can be labor intensive. Particularly spine, same as Ortho spine.

If you don't go up a glove size, you're not doing spine correctly.