Most likely specialties to be deffered

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlackScorpion

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone knows what specialities in the Army are more likely to give out deferrals? I'm a third year HPSP student looking into anesthesiology.

Members don't see this ad.

BlackScorpion said:
Anyone knows what specialities in the Army are more likely to give out deferrals? I'm a third year HPSP student looking into anesthesiology.

I guess no one knows. Sigh, the mystery of military medicine

I wouldn't expect the military to give out *any* deferrals since there is an apparent shortage of HPSP interns.

Members don't see this ad :)
BlackScorpion said:
I'm not really sure about Army. They still have a pretty big GME. Navy gives out deferments to surgical specialties, rads, and gas typically. Each year the projection changes, but in general the above are often deferred.

Say an HPSP student wanted to get an army emergency medicine GME slot and didn't make it into the something like 20-25 slots, and this training is in high demand, would it be ridiculous to think that the army would let this student deffer to get a position in a civy spot and come back later to fill a needed career field?

cmeshy said:
Say an HPSP student wanted to get an army emergency medicine GME slot and didn't make it into the something like 20-25 slots, and this training is in high demand, would it be ridiculous to think that the army would let this student deffer to get a position in a civy spot and come back later to fill a needed career field?

Again, it all comes down to what the projections are for the needs of Army EM in the future. If they are graduating 20-25 people in EM per year and they decide they need 30, they'll probably send out people to EM deferments.

I don't really know what the Army needs though. Check with your GME coordinator and ask him/her. They'll let you know how many deferments were given for the various specialties in the last few years or so.

BlackScorpion said:
Neurosurgery-- 1 spot...unless u r the only one applying. ;)

BlackScorpion said:

HELLO BLACKSCORPION, I HAVE THE SAME QUESTION. BUT I AM A 2ND YEAR STUDENT. WHAT PERSON, WOULD BE ABLE TO PROVIDE THAT INFORMATION. IT SEEMS AS IF YOU WOULD HAVE TO Match in the Anes. prelimary program and then try again the next year.

Angel said:
HELLO BLACKSCORPION, I HAVE THE SAME QUESTION. BUT I AM A 2ND YEAR STUDENT. WHAT PERSON, WOULD BE ABLE TO PROVIDE THAT INFORMATION. IT SEEMS AS IF YOU WOULD HAVE TO Match in the Anes. prelimary program and then try again the next year.
Call or email the army GME coordinator and ask him/her what specialties were granted deferments and how many people were given the for the past 3 years.

This shouldn't be that difficult.

You know where I can find the contact info for this person? Can't find it on the GME website. Thanks in advance.

BlackScorpion said:
You know where I can find the contact info for this person? Can't find it on the GME website. Thanks in advance.
Sorry I don't. With the Navy HPSP, we had a "registrar" who acted like a switchboard operator that would get you in touch with whom you needed. Don't you know your point of contact with the Army HPSP? Ask him/her.

BlackScorpion said:

I'd start here:

Directorate of Medical Education, Office of the Surgeon General Contact Information
5109 Leesburg Pike, Skyline 6, Room 691A, Falls Church, VA 22041-3258
Phone: (877) 633-2769 (MED-ARMY) (toll free) Fax: (703) 681-8044
Email: [email protected]

If that doesn't help then I'd email Ms. Jana Cox ([email protected]).