Most ppl say nbme underestimated their score...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oreosandsake

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
it'd be nice to have a concise thread on this topic

I searched for a thread on this, and the only thing I could find is people stating the numerical difference ex: "+21 points" without including weeks prior to exam or actual score. (without saying reference of starting point, 180 --> 201 vs 220 --> 241)

I've heard most people say that the nbme underpredicted their score, but

has anyone's score significantly dropped from what they were getting from the nbme?

Members don't see this ad.

I think that the "underpredicting" of your actual step I score should be taken with a grain of salt. Many people,when they take these nbme's, take them throughout there studying, and so get lower scores than the actual test because by the real test they've studied a lot more. But i would say that, from what i've read, that the people who take an nbme a day or two before the real test usually score very similar to what they scored on that nbme. of course you always have your extremes...i read on here that some guy was getting 200's throughout (even a few days before) and on the real thing he magically pulled off like a 240.

good luck to you.

i got 1 pt lower than my last nbme 1 wk prior to the real thing.

i got a 228 on nbme 1 before i started studying and am scared sh**less i wont crack 230 on the real deal in three weeks...is that nuts

Members don't see this ad :)
i got a 228 on nbme 1 before i started studying and am scared sh**less i wont crack 230 on the real deal in three weeks...is that nuts

That is nutso thinking. If you're so freaked out, you should take another NBME.

That is nutso thinking. If you're so freaked out, you should take another NBME.

i know - am planning on taking another soon, have three weeks left...have just heard soo many of my fellow classmates saying nbme 1 is a joke.

i dont know why, but im doing about the same as a lot of people on the question banks, yet on the nbme practice exams, i am scoring higher..... ?????
i think it is based on luck.
step 1 = score based on luck
if you are lucky, you will get the questions you know. if you are unlucky, you're screwed!
i am normally unlucky!!!! d*mmit!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i dont know why, but im doing about the same as a lot of people on the question banks, yet on the nbme practice exams, i am scoring higher..... ?????
i think it is based on luck.
step 1 = score based on luck
if you are lucky, you will get the questions you know. if you are unlucky, you're screwed!
i am normally unlucky!!!! d*mmit!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that's what i think!! i got lucky on an easy nbme i think, uw is kicking my butt big time - and i feel like i know nothing! waiting to take another one when i get thru all my review...which is very slow!!

that's what i think!! i got lucky on an easy nbme i think, uw is kicking my butt big time - and i feel like i know nothing! waiting to take another one when i get thru all my review...which is very slow!!

i feel ya bro...my problem is that i read a bunch of books and am familiar with almost everything but still got like 10 days to really pound home and memorize everything...i knew i had holes but was so ticked off by the fact that i hadnt taken an nbme in a while that i took 4 a few days agoand got 228 and i was kinda freaked out for about 30 minutes then realized what i needed to do and just kept studyin...

my advice is to just take one right now even if u are in the middle of reviewing ur FA or whatever and know that you still got holes to patch...it will ease the anxiety of tryin to finish ur review by a certain date even if the score isnt what you want...

I'm having the opposite problem, I'm doing better on UWorld than on the NMBE I took. :( I've still got 3 weeks to go though so hopefully I can pull things up.

I need to pull my NMBE score up about 20 points to be where I want to be, is that possible in 3 weeks?

same...I do better on Uworld then the NBME i just took today :(

gonna take another in 10 days hopefully things will be better...Test in 16 days :scared:

it'd be nice to have a concise thread on this topic

I searched for a thread on this, and the only thing I could find is people stating the numerical difference ex: "+21 points" without including weeks prior to exam or actual score. (without saying reference of starting point, 180 --> 201 vs 220 --> 241)

I've heard most people say that the nbme underpredicted their score

While part of it is learning from your mistakes and improving, I think this is mostly a case of selection bias. Generally speaking, people that post their NBME/USMLE scores are those that had positive results.

For example... based on what you read in this USMLE experiences thread, you might think that the national average for Step 1 is 250+.