Osteosaur

I eat the whole patient
2+ Year Member
Sep 9, 2018
Status
  1. Medical Student
Taking USMLE and COMLEX early June. Been preparing with Zanki, FA/Pathoma, and UWorld/COMBANK. I've been getting like 65-75% on UWorld and 75-85% on COMBANK doing timed random. I thought I was doing 'okay'.

I got wrecked on NBME 21 with a 219 today, namely in anatomy and 'General Practice'. Questions seemed totally alien to what I was used to in UWorld.

I'm about 3.5 weeks out from my exam and suddenly I really want to be pushing it back, if I should just keep plugging away, or what. Been feeling I've hit a wall with improvement, too, for that matter. Should I be doing more NBMEs? Anatomy review just seems, honestly, way more daunting than any other subject to get through.

JibsGuy52

5+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2015
Status
  1. Medical Student
I got a 189 on a NBME about 4-5 weeks out on step 1. Finished with a 235. The grind is now for you.

Osteosaur

I eat the whole patient
2+ Year Member
Sep 9, 2018
Status
  1. Medical Student
So true.

What did you change because of your result?

About the Ads

JibsGuy52

5+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2015
Status
  1. Medical Student
Stopped doing other random stuff and focused more on UWorld. I’d say quit combank in general. It’s trash.

Reactions: 1 user

Osteosaur

I eat the whole patient
2+ Year Member
Sep 9, 2018
Status
  1. Medical Student
I'll try that. I haven't been doing it very much, just 20 or so a day to "get used to COMLEX style questions" if that's even important.

How much UWorld did you grind versus, say, review or Anki? I know there's a bunch of study schedules around and everyone is different. Helps to hear from someone in the same boat I suppose.

JibsGuy52

5+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2015
Status
  1. Medical Student
I’m currently studying for CK but when I was studying for step 1 I did 100 Uworld a day. Watched sketchy when I burned out.

iforget2

7+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2012
Status
  1. Medical Student
I'm in a similar spot as you in my preparation and I got a 220. If you go back and look at the % correct, it should be around a 70-71%, which is right in your UW avg%. We still have time though, keep grinding with UW!

CyrusHabs7695

2+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2017
Southeast
Status
  1. Medical Student
How do you guys go about actually studying your incorrect or uworld? Ive been doing 40 Qs, then going back question by question and reading the explanation and making a couple Zanki cards on the incorrect, then I do those uworld cards everyday. Is that good or am I missing something else?

Reverb

7+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2013
Status
  1. Medical Student
How do you guys go about actually studying your incorrect or uworld? Ive been doing 40 Qs, then going back question by question and reading the explanation and making a couple Zanki cards on the incorrect, then I do those uworld cards everyday. Is that good or am I missing something else?

I usually "mark" all of the questions I got wrong or guessed on. Uworld has a feature that allows you to create a block of questions exclusively from the questions that you have marked. I take Step1 at the end of June, so I've been hitting about 120 questions per day; going to try ramping that up to 160 next week. Everyday, I make sure to go through at least 40 questions I've marked, that way I can review topics that I missed. Eventually, half the block is stuff you just immediately remember the answer to... this is not a good thing. Mark the questions and review them not to learn the answer to a specific question, rather, to remind yourself of topics you struggled with, and for those minuet details, most likely still struggle with. You should also have First Aid or AMBOSS pulled up while going through those marked question.

Reactions: 1 user

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads