-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Most significant non-academic achievement help
Started by childofmercy
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
BBBS is a great EC and talking point for your app. I always see adcoms rank it pretty highly as far as non-clinical volunteering goes.
I wouldn't talk about anything from high school if I were you, even if you were the valedictorian or did well in sports. What you did in high school will get you into your undergrad institution, and what you do in your undergrad years and beyond will get you into med school.
I wouldn't talk about anything from high school if I were you, even if you were the valedictorian or did well in sports. What you did in high school will get you into your undergrad institution, and what you do in your undergrad years and beyond will get you into med school.
Thanks! I was guessing that would b the case for HS activites
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't think talking about things from high school is all that bad in and of itself because there are some people who truly had by far their most significant non-academic achievements to date in high school. To me, most significant non-academic achievement means the most significant non-academic achievement you've ever had, not just the most significant one you've had in the last three years. If one of your high school experiences is truly a whole lot more to talk about than anything you've done in college, then go with it.
That being said, I wouldn't talk about being valedictorian. Being valedictorian is getting recognized for excelling in you schoolwork. That is academic. There is no way to spin that as non-academic.
I think both your best athlete of the decade thing and your BBBS thing sound good. I think you should choose based upon which you can write better about.
That being said, I wouldn't talk about being valedictorian. Being valedictorian is getting recognized for excelling in you schoolwork. That is academic. There is no way to spin that as non-academic.
I think both your best athlete of the decade thing and your BBBS thing sound good. I think you should choose based upon which you can write better about.
.
Last edited:
Not sure how being valedictorian isn't an academic accomplishment.
Sports are fine to talk about, especially if you have won awards.
Big brother big sister is also fine.
Sports are fine to talk about, especially if you have won awards.
Big brother big sister is also fine.
.
Last edited:
Were you Mr. Football/Basketball or something similar?bonjour! i would like any advice on this secondary prompt..
-would talking about being HS valedictorian be acceptable? and go into detail about how it affected my activities/relationships during undergrad? does it count as an achievement outside of the classroom?
-another option is being awarded athlete of the decade in HS, but i didn't play for any undergrad sports teams, only intramurals and other non-varsity endeavours, BUT sports were HUGE to me growing up since the only way I could be involved in them was if I supported myself through them..
-another option can be my effect on my little sister mentee (through big bros and big sis)
whaddya think??
Even though you were chosen by classmates, I'm guessing it wasn't completely separate from academic accomplishments. There was probably a certain GPA or percentile requirement (like you had to be in at least the 90th percentile or some similar rule), right? If so, then the nature of being the valedictorian for your school is that the students pick their favorite out of the high academic achievers to be valedictorian. This is still predominantly academic with a small non-academic component, so it is still inappropriate for "most significant non-academic achievement."For valedictorian i was nominated and chosen by classmates, not staff if that makes a diff? Long story short for no sports is i danced instead. My school didn't offer a coach for one of the sports i excelled in, but i loved to dance too so i did that.
Lol wut?Were you Mr. Football/Basketball or something similar?
Lol wut?
State-wide best players of a sport get those designations. I was a semi-finalist for Mr. Lacrosse this year
Oh. Im canadian, we don't have such exciting things. Sounds cool tho
Know that Canadians have it extremely rough trying to get into any US MD school.Oh. Im canadian, we don't have such exciting things. Sounds cool tho
Oh i kno mate, but I'm in good hands regardless of the outcome🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was voted "Most likely to change the world" in my highschool yearbook, I wish I could include that lol.