Most useful foreign language after Spanish in the US?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InformMe123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What you think is the most useful foreign language (after Spanish) for a dentist in terms of treating patients in the US? What have you seen in your experience in the clinic so far?

My thoughts of common languages would be Vietnamese, Chinese, Korean, Hindi, Tagalog (Filipino), Portuguese, and Arabic but maybe some of those speakers already have good command of English or not so common to find. Not sure which of these or other languages would be quite useful/common to find after Spanish. I am sure patients would love to meet a dentitst who could speak some of their first language, right? :)

Members don't see this ad.

When I was shadowing D3's and D4's in the student clinic last year, Spanish was the only language that proved to be consistently useful.

Where I live, Vietnamese would be very helpful. It just depends on where you want to practice and what the common languages are after English and Spanish.

Try learning some common greetings/phrases in a few different languages first. It may impress a non-English speaking patient enough for them to trust you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Foreign languages are pretty hard, especially the asian ones. I would not recommend learning phrases, because they never sound right. Personally not a single person ever made any difference to me by flaunting phrases. It may be useful to learn words with "dental" meaning in the other language, such as: tooth, pain, broken and numbers.

In the Chicago area?
Easy: Polish.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Where do you live or plan to live? Mandarin is good, but not easy to learn. It's the second most spoken language after English I believe?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk