InformMe123

5+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2013
Status
What you think is the most useful foreign language (after Spanish) for a dentist in terms of treating patients in the US? What have you seen in your experience in the clinic so far?

My thoughts of common languages would be Vietnamese, Chinese, Korean, Hindi, Tagalog (Filipino), Portuguese, and Arabic but maybe some of those speakers already have good command of English or not so common to find. Not sure which of these or other languages would be quite useful/common to find after Spanish. I am sure patients would love to meet a dentitst who could speak some of their first language, right? :)

studentdent00

2+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2014
When I was shadowing D3's and D4's in the student clinic last year, Spanish was the only language that proved to be consistently useful.

THS

Articulating Disc Jockey
7+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2012
Louisiana
Status
Dentist
Where I live, Vietnamese would be very helpful. It just depends on where you want to practice and what the common languages are after English and Spanish.

Try learning some common greetings/phrases in a few different languages first. It may impress a non-English speaking patient enough for them to trust you.

oralcare123

7+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2010
Status
Foreign languages are pretty hard, especially the asian ones. I would not recommend learning phrases, because they never sound right. Personally not a single person ever made any difference to me by flaunting phrases. It may be useful to learn words with "dental" meaning in the other language, such as: tooth, pain, broken and numbers.

irishmom

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2011
Status
Dental Student
Arabic

Reactions: PocketRocket