General Admissions & OTCAS MOT or OTD? Confused!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NSS121

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a pre-OT student currently at Creighton, and I was wondering if I should go for the MOT or OTD. I've been told that the profession will be phasing into the OTD in 7-10 years. Is this true? I just want to be an OT, not teach it. Would it be worth the money to get a doctorate for job security reasons?
Thanks!!:)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am a pre-OT student currently at Creighton, and I was wondering if I should go for the MOT or OTD. I've been told that the profession will be phasing into the OTD in 7-10 years. Is this true? I just want to be an OT, not be teach it. Would it be worth the money to get a doctorate for job security reasons?
When I was doing my observation hours I asked the occupational therapists about MOT or OTD and they said it doesn't matter you won't get paid more……its probably something good to have but OT use to be an bachelors degree. I know occupational therapist who have a bachelors degree in OT and they were grandfathered in……so I guess it doesn't matter……I don't know…..

I am a pre-OT student currently at Creighton, and I was wondering if I should go for the MOT or OTD. I've been told that the profession will be phasing into the OTD in 7-10 years. Is this true? I just want to be an OT, not be teach it. Would it be worth the money to get a doctorate for job security reasons?

Hi @NSS121! I figured I would give a little input since after deciding where to go this past cycle, I had to make the same decision myself. Ultimately, I chose to go the OTD route. While in most positions there may not be a significant pay difference, I personally think an OTD gives me opportunities and career freedom that would be otherwise harder to come by. Seeing as how a doctoral degree is the highest level in education that you can receive in this field, it will also give a leg up when it comes to being compared with other job applicants.

As for OT moving toward requiring a doctorate degree, given that PT has done the same I anticipate OT will soon be following suit. At one interview a faculty member stated that they were anticipating this move to be around 2017/2018. While having my Master's would allow for me to be grandfathered in at this point, down the road I would be in constant competition with the newer OT's, who would all be equipped with their doctorates.

Hope that helps. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
After speaking to several OTs, all of them have told me that having a doctorate will NOT give you any sort of advantage for getting a job (unless you have a yearn to teach). As long as you have the license, that's all that employers care about. If you don't want to become a professor, you're ultimately spending more money to be paid the same as an OT with a BS or MS degree. And that means more debt. I'd rather have the extra money in my pocket than the prestige but that's just me.

Reactions: 1 user
just a thought: you can always go back and get your OTD or a PHD later on down the line if you decide it fits your goals. that's kind of the route i'm going...i'm going with an entry-level master's program so i can begin practicing as soon as possible. i figure that if i get into the workforce and realize i'd like to specialize or think it will help me in some professional aspect than i can always go back and get it. but in the meanwhile, i personally want to finish as quickly as possible and take out as little loans as possible.

and as others have said, the OTD doesn't currently make you more competitive in the job market. and, as others have said, the OT degree used to be at a bachelor's level. although it is now at master's level, there are still many older practicing OTs that only have a bachelor's, so even if the degree moves to a doctorate you will still be eligible to practice with whatever education you have if it qualified at that time.

in the end it will be a personal decision for you. maybe you decide that the OTD will be valuable to you and you'd like to get it all done right away. maybe you'll be like me and complete a master's and decide later if it is important to you. maybe it is not important to you at all and you just want to practice. or, maybe by the time you are ready to apply AOTA would have already changed their standards so that you must have the doctorate. until the time comes for you to apply, i wouldn't worry about it too much. the planning will be the same to get into either type of program. hope that helps!

Last edited:
On the subject of whether OT is moving toward requiring the OTD to practice: http://www.aota.org/AboutAOTA/Get-Involved/BOD/OTD-Statement.aspx

Basically, the profession is moving that way, but not until 2025 and MSOT practitioners will be grandfathered in. I personally believe that at this point, it is personal choice and depends on what your end goals are.

I also recommend speaking with an adviser or faculty member from a school that offers the OTD. There's a lot of misconception that the OTD prepares you for a career in research or academia (spoiler: it doesn't, the OTD is a clinical doctorate). The OTD is more for those who want to work in community settings and do program development or work in specialized settings that do not have OTs now (where you may need to secure grant funding to keep your job). An example would be an OT who wants to work at a homeless shelter. Program development, grant writing, etc. is the focus of the third year.

Hope that helps! :)

Last edited:
that's a good point @OT4Life. i also believe the OTD can be used for those who are looking to really specialize in a certain setting, not only program development and grant writing. i know my program has stated they are hoping to offer OTDs for students should they wish to continue past the master's level. they gave hand therapy or pediatriacs as specific examples of specialized OTDs. i think you are definitely correct in stating the OTD is clinical doctorate.

i brought up PhD in my earlier post because that seems to be the degree most suitable for academia, research, and teaching. i've seen some programs for PhDs in rehabilitation science which are geared to those in therapeutic industries. usually those program descriptions state the purpose of the degree as leading to academia and/or research.

I really feel that the doctorate is for continued research in a specific topic. The master's gives you the clinical expertise. Personally, I have decided to complete the master's, so that I can gain clinical experience. After having a few years of clinical experience, I might be interested in completing the doctorate portion online. I prefer this route because it would give me a few years to determine which area I would like to specialize, so that I may contribute research for a topic that I feel would be necessary for the field.

ak888 The way it is at the school I just graduated from, the OTD and the MSOT students complete research studies. The difference between the kinds of studies you can conduct don't really differ based on the extra year. The OTD students tend to get more clinical experience during their apprenticeship. That was just my school though so everyone's experience may be different.

You will not be able to teach with a OTD at a regular university; they will certainly prefer a PhD in Occupational Therapy.

I'm curious how you are coming to this conclusion. The faculty lists I have seen often have at least a few professors with an OTD.

so obviously we find that the exact definition of what an OTD is has yet to be solidified. i think some of the confusion stems from the fact that some OTD programs include a research component or other project requirement. but i still think that the OTD is mostly used to help you specialize into a certain setting. i also still think the academic world views a PhD as the degree one should get if they are intent on working within academia/research.

that's not to say that there aren't faculty out there with OTDs and not PhDs. but as OT eventually moves to the OTD for entry-level, it stand to reason that if you'd want to get into academia/research, a PhD would help you out more. also, just looking at the tenured faculty at my school - they all have PhDs. :)

To the person who said there's faculty with OTDs, any program offering a doctorate in OT has to have a certain number of staff with an OTD.

You will not be able to teach with a OTD at a regular university; they will certainly prefer a PhD in Occupational Therapy.

Just to clarify, what is considered a regular university? I want to make sure we are talking about the same thing.

MOT4ME said:
There may be outliers, like the professors you have witnessed, but I do think most faculties prefer PhDs to OTDs. Just a hunch, I could be wrong.

I was interested in what you were saying, so I went ahead and did some research into the faculty at various schools. Obviously I did not look at the faculty list at every school that has an OT program, because that would have taken a really long time, but I did look through the faculty list at 15* different schools. I just randomly picked the schools I looked at, with the only exception begin that I specifically looked at Wash U, Boston and USC because they were ranked high by US News and World Report and I was curious if their lists would be different because of their ranking.

What I found out was that of the 15 schools, 9 of them had one or more professors, assistant professors or adjunct professors with an OTD. (I did not record which position the OTDs held, so I don't have that information.) At many of the schools, there was only one OTD, however, at others (Alabama State University, Washington University in St. Louis, University of Illinois Chicago and USC) as many as 1/3 to 1/2 of the faculty had an OTD.

Based on my research, it honestly seems to depend on the school whether or not they prefer PhDs to OTD. Some schools obviously do. Some may prefer a PhD but hire faculty with an OTD. Other schools hire equally. PhDs were more common than OTDs, but I think considering over half the schools had an OTD on their faculty list, it is safe to say you can go into academia with an OTD. Just keep in mind, this information is solely based on the currently faculty, which may or may not represent actual preferences.
Also just wanted to remind everyone that an OTD and a PhD are not the only two degrees that can get you into teaching at a university level in OT departments.

ExceptionalSea said:
that's not to say that there aren't faculty out there with OTDs and not PhDs. but as OT eventually moves to the OTD for entry-level, it stand to reason that if you'd want to get into academia/research, a PhD would help you out more.

ExceptionalSea, I agree with you, but disagree with you at the same time. The reality is that at many of the universities I looked through, I saw faculty that only held a master's degree. For example, Colorado State has 5 faculty that only hold a master's degree. Columbia University has 2 faculty with only a master's degree. Texas Women's University has 8 faculty. I would guess people that only have a master's might be slightly less competitive job applicants due to only holding a master's degree, but that obviously did not keep them from getting a job... so I imagine the same would hold true for people getting an OTD if the profession does someday move in that direction.

*In case you are curious, the schools I looked at were: Elizabethtown, Alabama State University, Samuel Merritt University, University of Utah, Pacific University, Rush University, Colorado State University, Columbia University (only did “faculty” because not all information was available for “adjunct course directors/faculty” and “clinical instructors”), Towson University, University of Illinois Chicago, University of Pittsburg, Texas Women's University (all campuses), USC, Boston University, Washington University in St. Louis.

[Also just wanted to add a disclaimer that I did this quickly, so it is quite possible I could be off a little in either direction.]

Just to be clear for everyone out there: As pointed out, an OTD is not a research based doctorate. It is a clinical doctorate. You will not be able to teach with a OTD at a regular university; they will certainly prefer a PhD in Occupational Therapy.
I'm afraid you couldn't be more wrong. As @RedHeadOT has pointed out (thanks for that mini on-the-fly study :p), having an OTD is not an obstacle toward obtaining a faculty position at a university and there's plenty of professors with an OTD degree comprising the bulk of the staff in a given department at major universities. It's actually preferable depending on what you, as faculty, will be doing since not all faculty are research faculty. Please see this chart made by AOTA's Director of Research, Susan Lin.

Click here for the actual presentation video :)

W0iKd8z.png

Last edited:
Agree with a lot of the sentiments here - if you're wanting to get into practice, an MOT is the way to go. Less time in school, less debt, and an equal shot at jobs in practice. (I've seen plenty of folks with master's and bachelor's degrees get hired over people with OTDs in my time. Personality and work experience are what matters in the real world. Only in the academic world do people fuss over having a doctorate.)

Sadly, it's likely that OT will move towards an entry-level doctorate, but if that happens, everyone who's graduated prior to that time will be grandfathered in. I know a ton of OTs with bachelors degrees who have thriving practices and absolutely no difficulty finding work. They have their pick when they interview.

Good luck!

I think unless you are determined to pursue an academic route-or you are independently wealthy an OTD just doesn't make cents (for me.)
There is at least some question as to whether or not universities prefer an OTD or a PhD for faculty positions; and, I'm curious who these people are who are ready to take on more debt, especially if your employer will often pay for you to go back and get it later should you want to. Do academic positions pay more? I'm curious.
On the subject of whether schools prefer OTD or PhD- I know my OTD program (and most others that I've seen) have a component at the end where you choose a focus. The options are typically education, advanced clinical practice, advocacy and policy, research, and I think there's one more. It's my assumption that the education path helps prepare you for academia. This may not put you above phd candidates when applying for a position, but I'm willing to bet it helps to balance the heavy emphasis of clinical practice and research associated with an OTD.

Well, the original poster really answered their own question in her first post - if you just want to be an OT, then certainly MOT is enough.

To those who are concerned about the salary increase and its correlation to the OTD - its not necessarily correct to view is as concretely as "it will" or "it won't" increase your salary. It may not increase your salary DIRECTLY for the clinical job you're currently working...but it opens the door to new jobs that in turn can pay more. However, these jobs are often screened by experience requirements (for good reason); an OTD, in my experience as an OT, is useless to someone new to the field, but invaluable for someone who has "experienced out" of entry level jobs and is looking for the next logical step in the administrative or clinical field.

Dan: You said it. imho it makes no sense to go and spend more money for a degree to put on the shelf unless it will demonstrably lead to career or salary goals. I can't justify the added expense- and if I want that degree later I can get it and have my work pay for it (as many employers do). I do think many younger people run to get an OTD because they want to collect a title/degree. Thanks for the great advice.
I see your point but keep in mind a young person may not be doing it just to collect a title/degree but are in indeed doing it to meet their goals quicker and more efficiently, which is smart and I will explain. A fair amount of younger people going into OT school may not have some of the outside commitments that many working OTs have such as a spouse, kids, in-laws, a full-time job, etc. Some of these same individuals may also have a goal of one day having a doctoral degree period, so many may very well figure why not get it done now while I am in the groove of school and it can be the main focus and then when I graduate all I have to worry about for the rest of my life is gaining tons and tons of experience; as oppose to having to get back into the groove of things with school while in mid-career mode (which from what I hear from many can be very difficult), and having all these extra-commits that tie down your time as well. The point being is yes it is super expensive to get an entry-level OTD at first but if that is what you aspire to have anyways why not get it done as soon as possible? As one therapist told me, people bash the entry-level OTD route too much because of it's cost but don't quite consider the benefits that can be gained years down the road when envied OT positions have a boatload of qualified candidates.

Reactions: 1 users
Surely my program isn't the only affordable OTD around... Mine is only about $5k more overall than an MOT in this area. That was my main reason to go through with it. It seemed stupid not to since I was given the opportunity and it's not a huge financial burden in comparison.