You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Mothers in Pharmacy School
Started by Caverject
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
How many of you are moms and are in pharmacy school?
I am in pharmacy school because I am a mom. My little girl gives me a reason to do something with my life.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Mommy here!
Any of you ever have trouble figuring out your priorities and completing your pharmacy school responsibilities?Mommy here!
After reading another thread last night, I decided to post this poll 😉
Any of you ever have trouble figuring out your priorities and completing your pharmacy school responsibilities?
After reading another thread last night, I decided to post this poll 😉
I know you are referring to my thread. You don't know how it is because you are not a mother. Your priorities might be different from mine and that is because as a mother, I know what my priorities are . I said it and I will say it again, my kids first. I don't have problem balancing out my family and pharmacy school. Matter of facts, I have made all As and only one B so far this semester. Most of you out there cannot go through what most of us mothers go through just to make it through pharmacy school.
I only asked that question so that I know how to approach her when I get there on monday.
I must say that I have an extreme amount of respect for those that are mothers in pharmacy school. Even just being married must be difficult enough. I'm getting a kitten in 3 days so I'll kind of be a new mommy!
Any of you ever have trouble figuring out your priorities and completing your pharmacy school responsibilities?
After reading another thread last night, I decided to post this poll 😉
I have never had a problem figuring out my priorities. My kid is number 1 and always will be. It's not easy to take care of your family the way you need to and attend school. You do have to plan and make arrangements. But yep, if I had to choose between my child or pharmacy, pharmacy would lose in a second. Luckily I don't have to choose and the main reason I am going to attend pharmacy school (and the reason I attended undergrad) was to better my family's life.
(This part is not directed at Caverject)It's so easy to act high and mighty and to pass judgement when it's not you that's having to hoe the row that another is. Unless you've been a single parent trying to raise two small children AND attend pharmacy school, you really don't have a clue about what you're talking about. Taken2, I know it's not easy what you're doing. But, it will pay off in the end. Keep your head up.
Any of you ever have trouble figuring out your priorities and completing your pharmacy school responsibilities?
After reading another thread last night, I decided to post this poll 😉
Sure, it's something I have thought about. I would like to be more involved in my school, activities, etc. But I want that less than I want time with my family.
So when I am at school during the week I focus exclusively on classes. When I am at home it is family time.
It's also something FATHERS in pharmacy school have to contend with.
One of my classmates lost his 4 month old son last month. Now he is struggling with taking care of his wife and surviving child, his own emotions and trying to manage school too.
It's not only mothers that have to grapple with these issues.
One of my classmates lost his 4 month old son last month. Now he is struggling with taking care of his wife and surviving child, his own emotions and trying to manage school too.
It's not only mothers that have to grapple with these issues.
So when I am at school during the week I focus exclusively on classes. When I am at home it is family time.
👍 👍 👍
Oh, and Z, thanks for the clarification. 😉
I'm not a mom and I'm not in Pharmacy School.
I just wanted to clear that up..
Well...DAD - what part do you contribute??? Does Sarah work? When she has priorities, can you shift yours? Probably easier than your staff pharmcists.
Is this generally an easy question for women or men as parents - or even SO's in any professional or pharmacy school?
My answer is no. I've been married 30 years - my oldest will be 24.
Were there times when I felt I was a terrible mother - yes, absolutely!
Were there times when i felt I was a terrible pharmacist - yes, absolutely!
But.....between my SO & myself, we always discussed the situation ahead of time - fortunately, I had enough working time before I had children to know what I was getting into...but you all can do this here. When we had to make a choice - and we have had to make plenty in our years of parenting...we made it with an agreement between what his priorties & mine were. Compromise is not always easy. But...compromise is what you have to make - all the time & all the time you have children. It doesn't end with preschool, grade school, high school or even college.
Also...and I can't stress this enough....I had great significant people in my life. When I felt I was a terrible mother - my husband jumped in readily & convincingly & told me I was great. When I felt I was a terrible pharmacist - my dop jumped in and said I was doing a great job.
Unfortunately, we don't always give each other enough significant praise - sometimes, its needed....just to hear when others know we've made choices we wish we didn't have to make.
So....Zpak...you're not a mom & you're not in pharmacy school...but you're a Dad & a dop - can you help your female pharmacists feel good, even if you aren't aware of the professional choices they may make? And..I'm sure you make Sarah feel like the great mom she is.
But...nice as all this sounds....I still do not feel you can shirk your shift responsibilities & use your children as reasons.....even men have to make these choices so women can't use this ticket without knowing some other parent will have to take the shift (and even those who aren't parents have personal obligations they want to fulfill).
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Also...and I can't stress this enough....I had great significant people in my life. When I felt I was a terrible mother - my husband jumped in readily & convincingly & told me I was great. When I felt I was a terrible pharmacist - my dop jumped in and said I was doing a great job.
Unfortunately, we don't always give each other enough significant praise - sometimes, its needed....just to hear when others know we've made choices we wish we didn't have to make.
you have no idea how much that just hit me...
Similar threads
- Replies
- 8
- Views
- 4K