Motivation for all the non-trads out there.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TD_302

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

I found this article to be very insightful. I have worked with physicians in clinical settings and administrative settings, all while taking my gap years following graduation. Physician burnout is real! Many physicians are in debt because of their young age and lack of 'real-life' experience, leaving them victim to working a job they once loved due to fear of financial failure. This is definitely something to consider because I've had the thoughts of being "behind" and realized that this isn't a race. This is a marathon; to pursue a career you enjoy for as long as possible while helping as many people possible without ruining the relationships of those closest to you.

Keep up the grind and let the marathon continue!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I only partly agree, I most certainly have the savings to carry me through medical school/residency - built a decent nest egg and hopefully the maturity to not let the small things worry me. But partly also disagree since having a family means you have more responsibility and I do think that it makes life harder for both the med student and the spouse/children. I think if I had to recommend, I would still say to go straight through medical school when younger if one has the choice.

Reactions: 1 user
I want to be clear here...become a doctor whenever is right for YOU. This article has a title that warrants a debate but there is nothing to debate in my eyes. This is your life. Do what is right for you and your family and your finances obviously. There should be a great diversity amongst the population of doctors as well as the time of entry into medical school. The idea is to encourage those on the road less traveled to keep pushing. All of those who went the traditional route it doesn’t suite you well to talk down to those looking to join the fight later on in life. With the high rates of physician burnout and the broken healthcare system in America, we need as many truly dedicated doctors as possible.