Motivation needed...plz help...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmdude1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, how r u?

I took the pcat in june and got a really bad score (i didn't really study cuz i was taking four summer classes) and now i am preparing for the aug pcat with only 21 days left. :scared: Whenever i open the kaplan pcat study guide book, i get overwhelmed and start freaking out. I start daydreaming too. I feel like i'm too stupid or something. Please help me!!! What should i do to concentrate? What would be a good study plan? I really want to be a pharmacist but this pcat **** is killing me. Thanks in advance...

Members don't see this ad.

four summer classes? wow, how did you manage that?

if you've taken pre-pharmacy courses and still have some textbooks, read from those books on things you're unsure about. if something doesn't make sense or lose track, just read parts that are easy to understand or parts that interest you. and soon enough, you'll start understanding other parts you read, and pick up stuff a bit faster from remembering what you did in class. and then maybe after that, your review books won't look so scary.

if you daydream about going outside or something, do it and then come back to study. don't try to force yourself to do study when you really want to do something else. or, set up a schedule everyday, so that you study for the pcat, and on other times, you watch tv or talk to friends, or even go outside. so you won't feel like you have to study all the time, and once you get used to the schedule, studying for the pcat will seem normal everyday.

four summer classes? wow, how did you manage that?

It's really not that crazy. I took 4 classes this summer and got all A's (unofficially as of now). The trick is to take non-science general education courses that are required for pharmacy school. Examples being:

Basic Public Speaking
Interpersonal Communications
General Psychology
English 101
English 102
Humanities Courses
Microeconomics
Macroeconomics
Accounting Courses (if interested in PharmD/MBA)

or any course that doesn't require an extreme amount of information to master and is relatively basic.

Now, I wouldn't try anything you would want to master (chemistry, biology, physiology etc) because you obviously would want more than 8 weeks to mull over and remember that information. But to be honest, I dont mind regurgitating gen psychology because I doubt I'll really use that much in Pharm school.

Members don't see this ad :)
what usually helps me is i try to imagine studying to be like a job. i pretend to "clock in" and "clock out" if that makes any sense. I set up a specific time and date, just like a shift at work, and I study, give myself a 30 minute lunch break, and then study some more. when i'm done, i have the rest of the day! hope this helps!

what usually helps me is i try to imagine studying to be like a job. i pretend to "clock in" and "clock out" if that makes any sense. I set up a specific time and date, just like a shift at work, and I study, give myself a 30 minute lunch break, and then study some more. when i'm done, i have the rest of the day! hope this helps!
haha...that does make sense. What usually ends up happening is that instead of one 30 min break, i end taking 10 min breaks every 15 mins or so...:laugh:

haha...that does make sense. What usually ends up happening is that instead of one 30 min break, i end taking 10 min breaks every 15 mins or so...:laugh:
That's not necessarily a bad thing if you are studying for long, long stretches at a time and use the breaks as a time to relax your eyes, drink some water, and maybe go over what you just studied. There's a fatigue aspect of studying; the longer you study, the more fatigued you get, and the less you retain.

-try pacing around with a book in your hand and studying from it at the same time
-play music while studying to see if it helps you
-change your location (like desk to bed or a couch, to kitchen table) every 20-30 minutes
-try focusing on just one concept then abruptly go to another concept when you feel you're losing focus
-make flashcards for everything (either by hand or on pc)
-don't think about how well you will do overall on the test, just do the best you can and analyze what questions you feel you will not do well on the test

-try pacing around with a book in your hand and studying from it at the same time
-play music while studying to see if it helps you
-change your location (like desk to bed or a couch, to kitchen table) every 20-30 minutes
-try focusing on just one concept then abruptly go to another concept when you feel you're losing focus
-make flashcards for everything (either by hand or on pc)
-don't think about how well you will do overall on the test, just do the best you can and analyze what questions you feel you will not do well on the test

Man up and study instead of complaining.

I took the pcat in june and got a really bad score (i didn't really study cuz i was taking four summer classes) and now i am preparing for the aug pcat with only 21 days left.QUOTE]

I feel your pain. I didn't do well either, and I was retaking ochem and working full time. I missed the deadline for the August test but plan to retake it in October. I can't study at home because there are too many distractions.... suddenly cleaning and doing laundry seem to be more fun than studying. Some suggestions mentioned above work for me- getting up every 30 minutes/hour and move around, stretch, etc. Drink lots of water, although an occasional coffee drink from Star Bucks helps me. :) Music also helps me focus... put on a pumping song in the beginning and gets you going... songs without lyrics help too so you don't start thinking about words to sing. Most Tool songs works for this. :) Good luck!

hey guys, how r u?

I took the pcat in june and got a really bad score (i didn't really study cuz i was taking four summer classes) and now i am preparing for the aug pcat with only 21 days left. :scared: Whenever i open the kaplan pcat study guide book, i get overwhelmed and start freaking out. I start daydreaming too. I feel like i'm too stupid or something. Please help me!!! What should i do to concentrate? What would be a good study plan? I really want to be a pharmacist but this pcat **** is killing me. Thanks in advance...

If you don't get a competitive PCAT score your chances of getting into your desired pharmacy school goes down. What more motivation do you need? Motivation isn't something you ask people to come up with for you, it's up to yourself to gauge the importance of what you're aiming to do. PS. 21 days is plenty.

If you don't get a competitive PCAT score your chances of getting into your desired pharmacy school goes down. What more motivation do you need? Motivation isn't something you ask people to come up with for you, it's up to yourself to gauge the importance of what you're aiming to do. .

Amen

If you don't get a competitive PCAT score your chances of getting into your desired pharmacy school goes down. What more motivation do you need? Motivation isn't something you ask people to come up with for you, it's up to yourself to gauge the importance of what you're aiming to do..
Very true, these harsh words do indirectly motivate me...brought back the reality of the situation that is...thank you.

As for all others, THANK YOU for your tips and advices. :) I am now "manning" up (lol) and will just have to "clock-in and clock-out". Thanks once again forks.

Very true, these harsh words do indirectly motivate me...brought back the reality of the situation that is...thank you.

As for all others, THANK YOU for your tips and advices. :) I am now "manning" up (lol) and will just have to "clock-in and clock-out". Thanks once again forks.

Make sure you do a follow-up post when you get your scores :)

Just think how crappy you'd feel when you find out you did poorly, not the first time but the second time, on the exam. Good luck!

When I'm in a bad situation I just tell myself its temporary. Like finals week. I have five exams in five days usually. I feel so horrible after each final I can barely scrape myself off the floor to study. I just take a deep breath, turn the music on, and tell myself that its a temporary situation. I'm an extremely neurotic person so I've just learned to cope with the anxiety after all of these years. Pharmacy school is filled with anxiety inducing moments >_<