Motivation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shawn2000

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you stay motivated. I am 26 about to finish my bachelors ad am taking science classes on the side. I get overhelmed sometimes thinking about the science classes I have to take to get into med school or pt school, how do you stay motivated as an aging adult?

Members don't see this ad.

"Aging"??? Really? You're only 26. I would hardly consider that "old" by any means.

But to answer your query: keep your eyes on the prize.

How do you stay motivated. I am 26 about to finish my bachelors ad am taking science classes on the side. I get overhelmed sometimes thinking about the science classes I have to take to get into med school or pt school, how do you stay motivated as an aging adult?

Well.. age shouldn't be a limit to education or career. I feel like i got more to say.. but here is a few quotes that makes me want to strive for the best and become amazing in the future :D

"You have an abundance of opportunities before you—but don’t spend so much time trying to choose the perfect opportunity, that you miss the right opportunity. Recognize that there will be failures, and acknowledge that there will be obstacles. But you will learn from your mistakes and the mistakes of others, for there is very little learning in success.

And even as you keep traveling the road ahead, you must always remember where you came from. Each of us carries the dust and dreams of the places that helped shape us, and all of us can count our blessings that our path has taken us through.

Finally, many times along the way you’re going to ask why. Why am I on this path? What is it all about? You’ll ask yourself those questions in 10 years and in 20 years as often as you’re asking them now. Well … I have an answer for you. It’s all about winning. That’s right, winning.

But I’m not talking about the most points, or toys, or market share. (Though I certainly like market share.) I’m talking about winning in a contest with your own potential. I’m talking about believing in yourself enough to become the best accountant, engineer, or teacher you can possibly be. I’m talking about never measuring your success based on the success of others – because you just might set the bar too low.

The key is to listen to your heart and let it carry you in the direction of your dreams. I’ve learned that it’s possible to set your sights high and achieve your dreams and do it with integrity, character, and love. And each day that you’re moving toward your dreams without compromising who you are, you’re winning. Look around you. At a school this size, with an international reputation for greatness, you might think of yourself as just a number. However, I recommend that you choose the number 1." - Michael Dell

In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity. ~ Albert Einstein

Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all. ~ Dale Carnegie

Good luck yo! You are the main motivation to yourself. Can't expect to do things in life/others if you don't do things for yourself. Yeeahhh man!!

P.S Im in process of applying also. Im turning 24...pssshh why turn old for nothing. I'm going all the way!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Seriously? Aging? I'm 25...and I'm married with a toddler and I definitely do not think of my self as oldin any way. Really?! Mid-20s is FAR from old. My parents are old. You gotta buck up, my friend! You'll get through it. Just keep thinking that you're going to get what you want in the end, that should be motivation enough. Also, age is just a number, it shouldn't be some sort of self-imposed limitation.

I'll be 29 when I finish PT school...just in time to be almost old! ;)

lol... we have students who are 40+ years old in my PT class. PT will also be their 2nd or 3rd career. Motivation to go to med/pt school? It's intrinsic.

Wow, if you're aging, I must be close to the grave at 28...

I am 24 and I am one of the younger students in my DPT class. I think there are only 2 students that are younger than I am. I think 27 is the average age of my class, so a lot of people are in the same boat as you. Don't get discouraged! Just remember that all of this education will be worth it in the end when you have a career that you truly love! (hopefully :laugh: )

I agree with the previous poster "keep your eye on the prize!"

Shawn2000,

If you are in person an exact reflection of what your posts on this website indicate, then you are an aspiring DPT for all the wrong reasons. Is it the title that gets you motivated to even consider applying for such programs? I'm referring to your other posts on this site i.e.: shortcuts to DPT, MD school with no science pre-reqs, etc. It's honestly embarrassing that someone like yourself is even considering this field, and what's worse, may even one day get accepted to a program.

STOP LOOKING FOR SHORT CUTS. The motivation you need is to figure out your true passion. DPT, PA, MD, or anything medical related is clearly not it.

Ha ha. I'm 30, I'm married, I have 5 kids, and I work and go to school full time. I still have 5 more years to go before I'm "done with school". Yeah it's hard to stay motivated, but not really though because it's what I HAVE TO DO.

LOL
Yeah it cracks me up when people that are in the mid twenties are saying they are old. In my class today someone that just turned 19 year old was telling our group that it was her birthday yesterday and she felt old. There were people that were 35+ and even 40+ in the group. They all just gave her the look like "If you think we are old, what makes US?!"

Age is just a number! You are only as old as you feel. I know the feeling to wanna just get things rolling! But there are no shortcuts in life and anything worth having is not gonna come easy, it is gonna take work. Just hang in there and keep your eye on the prize.

I am 30 and Ive had that feeling that Im getting too old for school and I just wanna start my career already! I realized I need to be patient and take things 1 step at a time. We all are gonna get old no matter what so why not get 'old' pursuing something that will satisfy you :)

What would the alternative be? Not go to school and just do what you have been doing, settling for less and wondering 'what if'?

shawn2000,

if you are in person an exact reflection of what your posts on this website indicate, then you are an aspiring dpt for all the wrong reasons. Is it the title that gets you motivated to even consider applying for such programs? I'm referring to your other posts on this site i.e.: Shortcuts to dpt, md school with no science pre-reqs, etc. it's honestly embarrassing that someone like yourself is even considering this field, and what's worse, may even one day get accepted to a program.

+1

There are no shortcuts in this field! I think it makes physical therapy exciting and dynamic because the whole field is really moving forward towards better care and professionalism. You must embrace the challenge and step up if you really want to become a PT, I think that the direction of education and professionalism that PT schools are going in will make this an exciting field to be a part of.

There are no shortcuts in this field! I think it makes physical therapy exciting and dynamic because the whole field is really moving forward towards better care and professionalism. You must embrace the challenge and step up if you really want to become a PT, I think that the direction of education and professionalism that PT schools are going in will make this an exciting field to be a part of.

:thumbup:

"Aging"??? Really? You're only 26. I would hardly consider that "old" by any means.

Haha! I thought the same thing! I am 26! Should I start picking out which songs I want played at my funeral? :scared:

Agreed-keep your eye on the prize!