Motivational Story (w/ Pics) to The Hardest Working People I know (Managers)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
lol the irony that this statement came from you

Hey at least I won't deny it.

The difference is if my boss came up to me and told me things I was doing wrong, I'd fix it and not be in denial.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I`m not understanding all of the hate towards the OP... he found himself in an unpleasant situation, found a way out and pursued a more suitable path. I think all of the negativity is coming from bitter retail pharmacists who hate to see others self-actualize. Retail pharmacy is kinda horrible, if we are being honest.

I graduated in 2009 and have had to deal with more than my fair share of crummy managers and DMs. Sadly, I have zero interest in technology or any other industry... so I`ll just keep plugging along and adding to my FU fund. But good for the OP for not wanting to be miserable for 40 years just so he could say he`s using his degree.

Reactions: 4 users
I`m not understanding all of the hate towards the OP... he found himself in an unpleasant situation, found a way out and pursued a more suitable path. I think all of the negativity is coming from bitter retail pharmacists who hate to see others self-actualize. Retail pharmacy is kinda horrible, if we are being honest.

I graduated in 2009 and have had to deal with more than my fair share of crummy managers and DMs. Sadly, I have zero interest in technology or any other industry... so I`ll just keep plugging along and adding to my FU fund. But good for the OP for not wanting to be miserable for 40 years just so he could say he`s using his degree.

I think people are thinking, why go into a field where you know you're going to be told what to do. The OP wasted time and money going into a field that clearly wasn't meant for him.

Members don't see this ad :)

I feel the OP is too much of an idealist. Too survive in retail, you have to be more pragmatic and understand the game. For example, upper management (most likely no Pharmacy experience) telling you to do something you have no choice but to comply because they are your boss. You need to compromise and follow their demands but add some twists along the way to meet your own desire. The example about him calling insurance for approval for a customer is noble and altruistic but not efficient use of his energy and work labor resources IMO. That's the problem for the customer to fight with his/her insurance, I personally would not get involved. If doctor really wants customer to be on that medication, make the doctor call and appeal to insurance. I would have send a fax or leave message from MD to send in alternative and stop at that point.

Reactions: 1 users
I feel the OP is too much of an idealist. Too survive in retail, you have to be more pragmatic and understand the game. For example, upper management (most likely no Pharmacy experience) telling you to do something you have no choice but to comply because they are your boss. You need to compromise and follow their demands but add some twists along the way to meet your own desire. The example about him calling insurance for approval for a customer is noble and altruistic but not efficient use of his energy and work labor resources IMO. That's the problem for the customer to fight with his/her insurance, I personally would not get involved. If doctor really wants customer to be on that medication, make the doctor call and appeal to insurance. I would have send a fax or leave message from MD to send in alternative and stop at that point.

Maybe you didn’t read thoroughly. This was during the national shortage of Ventolin. Proair was available. My patients are poor. They’re coming from the ER (in many cases), and many won’t seek care to come back, due to transportation, cost, etc. I don’t put “efficiency” over patient care. This is why we were able to grow the business a tremendous amount, because we didn’t cut corners and patients knew they’d be taken care of.

Also, the insurance thing, I called the insurance the first few times for my patients. After I noticed the trend and how many patients it affected, on my own time I called the insurance commissioner and wrote the letter. I’d do it again, and again, every time if I had to. I know tor most patients it’s just an inconvenience, but if you extrapolate this same scenario all over the country, it could be the difference between life and death for some patients. Not having that inhaler.

Reactions: 1 user
Here's what OP inboxed me.
I'm sorry but it sounds like we have a child here.

He inboxed me a few paragraphs worth of "I'm so amazing, and you're the problem with our profession" drivel

He literally, literally , told me that he has CEO'[sic]s telling him he is going to "save our profession"

Do any of you really believe he forced an insurance company to change their formulary and include other 90mcg Albuterol inhalers in one week?

He probably got in trouble for spending hours harassing the insurance comissioner when he should've been taking care of patients

That was enough for me to realize he's fabricating a fictional character for this thread just for the benefit of his own ego.

Last edited:
Insurance Response.jpg
:eyebrow::eyebrow::eyebrow:

He inboxed me a few paragraphs worth of "I'm so amazing, and you're the problem with our profession" drivel

He literally, literally , told me that he has CEO'[sic]s telling him he is going to "save our profession"

Do any of you really believe he forced an insurance company to change their formulary and include other 90mcg Albuterol inhalers in one week?

He probably got in trouble for spending hours harassing the insurance comissioner when he should've been taking care of patients

That was enough for me to realize he's fabricating a fictional character for this thread just for the benefit of his own ego.
View attachment 225478

It looks like the commissioner is telling you that the insurance told them that there are existing simple ways to handle this simple issue.

You are directly contradicting yourself.
In no way does that letter show that you changed anything.
You did not "work with" the commissioner.
It just shows an analyst that works at the office of the insurance comissioner telling you what the common practice is.

You seem to be a person with a lack of perspective and problem solving skills.

tumblr_ny17salvW11s3gys4o1_400.gif

Last edited:
I think your strategy for trying to debunk my story that intends to inspire others (and nothing more or less) is missing the point. If you’re not buying it, then, vote with your feet by halting your commentary, and then the thread can just die off. Instead, you steadily try to convince everyone to see your point of view. If they don’t agree with you at this point, then they won’t.

Also, I don’t trust your analysis anymore if you read the letter like that, so in my opinion, you discredited yourself. You’re clearly not the smartest guy/gal in the room, just give it up my friend. You’re starting to come off as the most desperate person in the room.

It looks like the commissioner is telling you that the insurance told them that there are existing simple ways to handle this simple issue.

You are directly contradicting yourself.
In no way does that letter show that you changed anything.
You did not "work with" the commissioner.
It just shows an analyst that works at the office of the insurance comissioner telling you what the common practice is.

You seem to be a person with a lack of perspective and problem solving skills.

I think your strategy for trying to debunk my story that intends to inspire others (and nothing more or less) is missing the point. If you’re not buying it, then, vote with your feet by halting your commentary, and then the thread can just die off. Instead, you steadily try to convince everyone to see your point of view. If they don’t agree with you at this point, then they won’t.

Also, I don’t trust your analysis anymore if you read the letter like that, so in my opinion, you discredited yourself. You’re clearly not the smartest guy/gal in the room, just give it up my friend. You’re starting to come off as the most desperate person in the room.

I see.
Can I ask some questions for clarification?

Do you truly believe there had never been a drug shortage before that affected patients before this incident, and that you provided a ground breaking innovation for that insurance company/insurance comissioner?

Do you believe that the insurance company implemented a new process/policy nationwide as a result of this letter, or that they simply informed the analyst with the commissioner of their "best practice"?

Why would they implement this change if no laws were being broken?

I find it interesting that you have kept this seemingly minor fax/letter for 3 years.
Do you consider it to be one of your greatest accomplishments as a professional?

Hate to say it, but CetiAlphaFive is right. All the representative replied with was a fancy way of saying "there are other inhaler options that we are covering bro. we will file your email into the trash? Thanks for inquiring and giving me a reason to have a job."

I call these people up every damn day to get stuff covered lol

Bro, he's not trying to debunk your stupid ass story and self-love. The letter says nothing more than that you had contacted them and there are alternatives. You are giving yourself credit for nothing. All of this makes me want to barf...

3. I’m an atypical Pharmacist-. I’ve always been “different”. After pharmacy school, I considered fellowships in Government Affairs, and International Relations. My interest have always been mostly relational/law/business. This is outside the scope of the “Pharmacy is a small world”, as these aren’t typically pharmacist in these roles (where I think there needs to be a few). To add on to this. I have spent my time in different regions in the profession, and am now in the process of making the switch to a completely different sector. At this point, I’m already undergoing a startup w/ a small team and am also making use of a very expensive degree, and looking at summer experiences in Finance/Consulting/Strategic Management. These are all careers where you (mostly) utilize your personal experience, grit, decision making, and communication and relationship skills to thrive. Not how well you fake like you’re doing what someone asked you to do, instead of doing what you think is the best decision. I think many people who know me, thinks this would be a good fit for my personality, and my experience.

As someone in one of these aforementioned fields -- lol, you are in for a rude awakening

OP, now that you have that off your chest, get to work making a difference and remember that business isn't personal, it's business. For my part, I would have misgivings with working or having a business association with you as you seem to lack discretion for an obviously emotional issue.

In other words, it would be hard to trust that you would not betray confidence in matters that can be left alone. I'm not worried about making enemies or burning bridges, I would be concerned that you are a liability if you are made to be emotional about a matter.

When dealing with trouble, the usual best course is to avoid being associated with thay, and keeping to your assignments. Troublemakers will take care of themselves.

For my part, I would have misgivings with working or having a business association with you as you seem to lack discretion for an obviously emotional issue.

I completely agree with this. Don’t ever let your emotion get in the way. That is why people say it is business, not personal.

Not everyone is going to like you or help you, even family and good friends. You have to have the dedication but more importantly, you have to be right. You have to see things that others do not see.

“Entrepreneur” is the new buzz word. You do not become an entrepreneur after reading some inspirational quote from Steve Jobs. You become one when you see there is a great need for something and you can fulfill that need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 3 users
Who doesn't double count C2s?...

Well, I took the OP as saying it was just a one-time error that he forgot to double count a C2....c'mon, pharmacy is highly distracting, I can see how this could easily happen on occasion.

Now if the OP was saying that he habitually didn't count C2's.....that is a different situation.

you are going to see hate comments under every motivational videos or stories... I always wonder why people have to pick apart every little details... why not just take the motivational aspect of it... isn't it tiring to be so negative all the time?

Well, I took the OP as saying it was just a one-time error that he forgot to double count a C2....c'mon, pharmacy is highly distracting, I can see how this could easily happen on occasion.

Now if the OP was saying that he habitually didn't count C2's.....that is a different situation.

The one time he didn’t double count, he happened to get caught on video? Sounds unlikely.

It is humorous that he would waste time on the phone with insurance companies yet won’t spend an extra 60 sec to double count.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

you are going to see hate comments under every motivational videos or stories... I always wonder why people have to pick apart every little details... why not just take the motivational aspect of it... isn't it tiring to be so negative all the time?
Since you're passive aggressively calling me out, I'll address you.

Are you genuinely advising against critical thinking?

Allow me to spell out why I picked apart this supposedly motivational story:

• Nothing about it is motivational. It's just vaguery that means nothing. When pressed, his most impressive feat turned out to be a form letter from an office.
  • It's bad to be such a petty individual if you're in a professional field. Grudges are a bad idea in general and can be fatal professionally. After polite dissent, he went on a PM spree. To me, that's indicative of a persistent problem. You expect the members of this forum to support that kind of childish behavior?
  • Lastly, telling your own motivational story is just weird. if person A posts about the motivational story of person B, I will accept it wholeheartedly.
If parson A waltzes in tooting their own horn, they should expect closer examination.

Since you're passive aggressively calling me out, I'll address you.

Are you genuinely advising against critical thinking?

Allow me to spell out why I picked apart this supposedly motivational story:

• Nothing about it is motivational. It's just vaguery that means nothing. When pressed, his most impressive feat turned out to be a form letter from an office.
  • It's bad to be such a petty individual if you're in a professional field. Grudges are a bad idea in general and can be fatal professionally. After polite dissent, he went on a PM spree. To me, that's indicative of a persistent problem. You expect the members of this forum to support that kind of childish behavior?
  • Lastly, telling your own motivational story is just weird. if person A posts about the motivational story of person B, I will accept it wholeheartedly.
If parson A waltzes in tooting their own horn, they should expect closer examination.

hummmm interesting that you would think I was calling you out, since there are many different posters going in both directions in this thread... my original comment stands, you not seeing how this could be motivational and your response just further proved my point... also the back and forth with you guys doesn't really interest me, I was purely talking about the initial reaction to the post

just like when you see a video of a guy traveling and having fun, there will be people who view it as motivational because they want to work hard and have that lifestyle as well, but there will also be a bunch of people who will criticize the video saying it's fake or the guy probably came from a rich family

in this post, you can either see a guy who went for what he wanted and is finally happy with himself or you can be the guy who tries to criticize every small detail.... I guess that's all I'm going to say on this topic lol I hate dwell in negativity