Mount Sinai FlexMed Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Leumas8

Accepted MD
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Much appreciate the input.

Stats:

Northeastern University
cGPA - 3.77
sGPA - 3.85
SAT - 720 Math, 690 Writing, 600 Reading
Have already taken Bio 1,2 Chem 1,2 Orgo 1,2 Anatomy 1,2 and received mostly As

ECs
Currently on COOP at a Boston Hospital doing medical assisting, surgical research
Plan on doing more research next semester during class
Chemistry Tutor
On the executive council of my Fraternity
Shadowed MGH and Brigham surgeries and clinic
Volunteer with disabled individuals (don't want to give too much info away)
Playing intramural hockey

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Much appreciate the input.

Stats:

Northeastern University
cGPA - 3.77
sGPA - 3.85
SAT - 720 Math, 690 Writing, 600 Reading
Have already taken Bio 1,2 Chem 1,2 Orgo 1,2 Anatomy 1,2 and received mostly As

ECs
Currently on COOP at a Boston Hospital doing medical assisting, surgical research
Plan on doing more research next semester during class
Chemistry Tutor
On the executive council of my Fraternity
Shadowed MGH and Brigham surgeries and clinic
Volunteer with disabled individuals (don't want to give too much info away)
Playing intramural hockey

Thanks in advance

You're just about average stats-wise. Fairly generic ECs but I met one NE applicant on my interview so I would absolutely apply and see what happens. Not a shoo in but definitely not out of the running either. Good luck!

You sound like a cookie cutter regular track premed. What's your FlexMed plan? Where's your demonstrated strong interest for a non-medical subject? I don't see it.

The program isn't for those just looking to secure early med admittance. Those ECs ain't gonna cut it for this.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Chances are low. You're not completely out of the running, so apply if you want. But you don't seem to fit the type of candidate that FlexMed looks for.

Sent from The World Tree using SDN Mobile

Chances are low. You're not completely out of the running, so apply if you want. But you don't seem to fit the type of candidate that FlexMed looks for.

Sent from The World Tree using SDN Mobile
There was an article in the New York Times on FlexMed (or on second thought it might have been HuMed, but still) and I think Mt. Sinai also had some Youtube information videos on it with 2 students who were in the program -- they were from top undergrad schools -- one of them Stanford.

Agreed. I wouldn't bother. Take a look at the essays required. If you do a double take at what they're asking for, you got no chance.

Isn't the whole point of FlexMed that it's supposed to appeal to humanities/non-science majors??

Isn't the whole point of FlexMed that it's supposed to appeal to humanities/non-science majors??

No. The whole point of FlexMed is to replace HuMed whose whole point was to appeal to humanities/non science majors. FlexMed accepts humanities, social sciences, and STEM majors.

Agreed. I wouldn't bother. Take a look at the essays required. If you do a double take at what they're asking for, you got no chance.

Not necessarily. I found the essays to be tough and ended up getting in.

No. The whole point of FlexMed is to replace HuMed whose whole point was to appeal to humanities/non science majors. FlexMed accepts humanities, social sciences, and STEM majors.

FlexMed is a combo of HuMed and SciMed. OP, what's your major? If your application comes across as that of a standard pre-med, you'll have a tough time getting in.

I am a Health Science major which basically combines pre-med classes with healthcare classes. I feel like what you guys are saying is that to get in I would have to show them something like..I want this program because:I want to do a business major about healthcare and don't have the time. Or something like that. I'm actually very interested in the music industry and could say something like I wanted to minor in music and go abroad and study music but can't due to pre med requirements. Does this sound reasonable?

I am a Health Science major which basically combines pre-med classes with healthcare classes. I feel like what you guys are saying is that to get in I would have to show them something like..I want this program because:I want to do a business major about healthcare and don't have the time. Or something like that. I'm actually very interested in the music industry and could say something like I wanted to minor in music and go abroad and study music but can't due to pre med requirements. Does this sound reasonable?

why isn't that reflected in your ECs?

Mostly because I've chose to do pre-med related ECs like decide to intern at a hospital instead of a music venue and work on campus as a chem tutor rather than as a music venue promoter. I chose to do these things because of medical school

Mostly because I've chose to do pre-med related ECs like decide to intern at a hospital instead of a music venue and work on campus as a chem tutor rather than as a music venue promoter. I chose to do these things because of medical school

Just apply and see what happens. None of us can tell you conclusively whether or not you'll get in. It sounds like you have some good personal reasons for applying. The rest will depend on how you express that in your essays/interviews. Give it a shot. Good luck.