mount sinai miami do friendly?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mesnetka

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone, i am an osteopathic student MS3 who really wants to go into general surgery residency but also wants to move to miami. does anyone know anything about jackson hospital out there or mount sinai if they are do friendly? Thanx

Members don't see this ad.

hey everyone, i am an osteopathic student MS3 who really wants to go into general surgery residency but also wants to move to miami. does anyone know anything about jackson hospital out there or mount sinai if they are do friendly? Thanx

As far as categorical GS at Jackson, I don't know any DOs. Period. I believe that this would be a very difficult uphill battle. You never know though. I'm not the one to ask about Sinai. Is there a reason why you just have to be in Miami?

Is there a reason why you just have to be in Miami?

not sure I should speak for the author, but I guess the answer would be

-beach
-nice weather
-beautiful people to be around

Members don't see this ad :)
not sure I should speak for the author, but I guess the answer would be

-beach
-nice weather
-beautiful people to be around

The beautiful people are on the beach. Everyone looks beautiful because they've sent all of the ugly people to the hospital (where you'll be spending your time) ;) j/k

The beautiful people are on the beach. Everyone looks beautiful because they've sent all of the ugly people to the hospital (where you'll be spending your time) ;) j/k

But not really. :p

I would have to say that as a categorical surgical resident at UM/Jackson, it would be very difficult get a categorical spot here. There were over 900 applicants to the program and we only interviewed around 100 or so - none of which were from DO schools. There are many non-designated prelims but none here currently are DO's, mostly are from latin countries or caribbean medical schools. I don't know if this is because no DO's applied, or if none were interviewed.

I can't comment on Mt Sinai, but I do know that they were the only unmatched GS program in the country - probably because they are/were on probation for hours violations.

I believe.. from volunteering @mt.sinai in miami beach.. that there are more D.O.'s working there, versus Jackson....

Limiting your residency program search to just one city, ESPECIALLY if you're a DO student applying to allopathic residencies, is a bad idea.

I believe.. from volunteering @mt.sinai in miami beach.. that there are more D.O.'s working there, versus Jackson....

They have a DO internal medicine program and NSU students have the to rotate there I believe, so mount sinai will most likely have more DOs because of all that stuff. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

They also rotate surgery students from some of the foreign schools, and occasionally even handle some of the NSU surgery clerkships I believe.

I'm an OMS-IV. Surgery in Miami is an uphill battle. UM won't take DO for gen surg, even though they will for trauma fellowship (weird). They prefer IMG to DO in the Surgery Dept. That being said, if you decide to do any other career besides surgery, UM/Jackson is a definite possibility (IM, anesthesia, OB/gyn, Peds, Psych, etc., obviously not derm or optho). Mt. Sinai will take DO for IM or EM (actually, they ONLY take DOs for EM I believe), not sure about surgery.

Most general surgery programs are DO unfriendly. General Surgery programs still have quite an ego, and see DOs as red flags for their program. General Surgery is still very much old school when it comes to DOs and to lesser extent, FMGs.

I'm a 4th year DO from NSU also going for allopathic surgery categorical residency (5 days to the match!). I also did my 3rd year surgery clerkship at Mt. Sinai.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I know for a fact that neither UM/Jackson nor Mt. Sinai will take a DO anytime soon.

At UM/Jackson I have a connection who is very good friends with the director of the program and she talked to him about getting me into the surgery residency. He said it would be no problem... so long as I transfered to an MD school. Plus, my school's director of the surgery department completed his residency at UM/Jackson and he will be the first to tell us that though he has tried hard to influence them over the years, they still won't budge yet on taking a D.O. for surgery.

As for Mt. Sinai, they've never taken a D.O. and likely won't for quite some time even though they take us for their clerkship (this is kind of like how they have a ton of IMG prelims but rarely take any for a categorical spot unless forced to like last year when they went unmatched). The current director and assistant director of the surgery program are really nice guys who are interested in teaching D.O.'s, and I believe if it were entirely up to them they probably would take a D.O. But the former Chair of the surgery dept, who is now the chair of vascular surgery is so strongly opposed to taking a D.O. that it won't happen so long as he is there. I'm sure there are also some other dissenters as well.

So nowhere in Miami is D.O. friendly for gen surg. The good news on this is that Mt. Sinai is not a quality program. As stated above, they are the only surgery program to go unmatched last year. The reason for that was likely because of their probationary status during the match, however their probation was NOT for work hour violations. It was because more than half of their chiefs in the past five years have failed their boards. And after doing my 3rd year clerkship there and then doing 4 sub-internships at other hospitals in the southeast U.S., I can honestly say that I am not the least bit surprised that chiefs aren't passing boards. Long story short, the residents are not getting the same quality training/education that residents elsewhere receive.

Your best bet for Florida gen surg would be UF Jacksonville (the only Florida gen surg residency that is D.O. friendly). However, they just got a new director/chair, Nussbaum who moved over from Cincinnati. I did a AI there and I worked with him and interviewed, but I honestly can't say I got a good feel as to whether or not he will continue their D.O. friendliness.

Great post above and I very much agree. As a D.O. you are probably going to be looking outside the state of Florida for a surgery residency, with the exception of Shands-Jacksonville. I would avoid the one AOA residency in Largo, FL (poor reputation, case volume). Fellowhips are an entirely different story.

I was wondering if this (DO unfriendliness) also includes the Florida Hospital program in Orlando? I know it is a new program so I wasn't sure if they were open to taking DO's. Thanks.

Florida Hospital's disposition is a little weird. I contacted them last year as a MSIII about their DO friendliness vs unfriendliness and received a well written response from the program coordinator. To sum it up, she said that they are DO friendly, but you must have over a 200 on USMLE (I can't believe anyone applying for GS has below that anyway), and you must also have in hand at the time of interview your Resolution 42 approval or proof of having completed the AOA-intern year. Basically, their goal is to produce surgeons who will stay in Florida, specifically Central Florida so you need to show them that you will be allowed to practice here.

The problem with this, is that so far as I know, it is not possible to get Resolution 42 approval until after the intern year is complete. So you can't exactly have it in hand when interviewing.

So I went ahead and applied there thinking I could prove to them that I'll get resolution 42 approval (my wife is a health care professional; that's automatic approval). They didn't even offer me an interview, which was strange because of the 30 places I applied, I got interviews at more than half, and a good number of those are quite competitive programs. This is why I say their disposition is a little weird... they are REALLY hardcore about keeping their graduates in the area.