Mount Sinai -- New York PM&R

Started by slugdoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

slugdoc

Former Lurker
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,

A prior post early in the application season remarked that little was known about the Mount Sinai PM&R program.

I am one of the Chief Residents there this year.

I know everyone's applications are in by now, but if anyone has any questions for next year, or pre-interview, I'd be happy to give my two cents.

I can't give a blow by blow comparison to the other NY programs -- I will only tell you what I know about my own program.

BTW - the scutwork forum has a bizarre mix if positive and negative misinformation. I didn't write any of it.

slugdoc
 
There have been many posts about NYU vs Columbia/Cornell vs Mt. Sinai over the past few years. The answer almost always is...Kessler. I find that funny. So here's my opnion:

Most of the Manhattan programs are quite similar:
*large, complicated inpatient service with in-house call that usually involves being awake all night
* 3 or more sites
* needs more MSK exposure

I actually believe that Mount Sinai comes out on top because it has been the most dynamic and flexible program, in addition to having a caring and straight-forward PD. Within the past few years, Sinai has added two Sports and Intervential Spine specialists and residents work one-on-one with them. It also has both a model SCI and TBI unit for the more traditionally-geared or the undecided. Sinai also has a relatively generous 4 months of elective which can be taken outside of the institution. C/C has great names and top facilities (Burke, HSS) but is probably the most rigid of all the programs. They do not give any elective time and I got a strong feeling of formality when I interacted with the program. It was on the verge of off-putting. For some, this is not bothersome and access to particular future contacts places C/C at the top of their list. NYU has historically been thought of as malignant but is now geared for change with a new PD. The new PD comes from NYU so time will tell whether this makes a positive impact or not. For most people, NYU would be #3 of this group. This is just my opinion but I really would like to hear what other people think.