Mount Sinai Pathology Residency- Manhattan

Started by deleted642280
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D

deleted642280

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone-- it's almost time to submit our final rank lists and I'm reaching out to anyone who knows anything about the Mount Sinai pathology residency in Manhattan. I liked my visit there and I love the location, but I'm struggling with where to list them on my list now that it's down to the wire.

Specifically-
1. I have heard that they don't have the best reputation in the pathology world and a competitive candidate should not rank them (no, I will not reveal my sources for anonymity to people kind enough to be honest). However, I have also heard form other places that they are great, so that leaves me with a dilemma on whether I should take a chance.
-- any other opinions are appreciated, and feel free to PM me if you don't want to post on the forum
2. That's basically it-- I googled until my eyes bled and can only find out of date information several years old, and I know the program has made a lot of changes over the past few years.

Thanks!
 
Does anyone have any up-to-date info about Mount Sinai at the Ichan School of Medicine?

Everything I have found online is either pretty old, or contradictory - e.g. someone wrote that residents stay until 9 to gross and are working weekends, but according to FREIDA first year residents work on average 45 hr/week.
 
Does anyone have any up-to-date info about Mount Sinai at the Ichan School of Medicine?

Everything I have found online is either pretty old, or contradictory - e.g. someone wrote that residents stay until 9 to gross and are working weekends, but according to FREIDA first year residents work on average 45 hr/week.

I believe this statement is very telling IN GENERAL about young physicians today—“stay until nine”, “working weekends” and “average 45 hr/week”.
This has permeated medicine in general today. Nothing wrong with it.
But, perhaps the attitudes that existed when my partners and I did so well in the dark ages was that these were not concerns of residents, our associates or my partners.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you want to be a good pathologist, be at a top program and set yourself up for a successful career, expect to work hard and "stay until 9 pm". All the top places I'm interviewing at are usually 7 am - 9/10 pm on surg path
 
If you want to be a good pathologist, be at a top program and set yourself up for a successful career, expect to work hard and "stay until 9 pm". All the top places I'm interviewing at are usually 7 am - 9/10 pm on surg path

Does that include top west coast programs?
 
Personally, I don't have a problem staying until 8, 9 or 10. I expect long hours, especially in the first year when I will likely be slow and inefficient. And when done with work I plan to do a lot of independent reading because the amount of knowledge, and how little I know, scares me.

I used this example to demonstrate the difference in information, which makes me question credibility of these sources (forum, PD survey..) for other data as well.