Mount Sinai Pathology Residency- Manhattan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted642280

Hi everyone-- it's almost time to submit our final rank lists and I'm reaching out to anyone who knows anything about the Mount Sinai pathology residency in Manhattan. I liked my visit there and I love the location, but I'm struggling with where to list them on my list now that it's down to the wire.

Specifically-
1. I have heard that they don't have the best reputation in the pathology world and a competitive candidate should not rank them (no, I will not reveal my sources for anonymity to people kind enough to be honest). However, I have also heard form other places that they are great, so that leaves me with a dilemma on whether I should take a chance.
-- any other opinions are appreciated, and feel free to PM me if you don't want to post on the forum
2. That's basically it-- I googled until my eyes bled and can only find out of date information several years old, and I know the program has made a lot of changes over the past few years.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have any up-to-date info about Mount Sinai at the Ichan School of Medicine?

Everything I have found online is either pretty old, or contradictory - e.g. someone wrote that residents stay until 9 to gross and are working weekends, but according to FREIDA first year residents work on average 45 hr/week.

Does anyone have any up-to-date info about Mount Sinai at the Ichan School of Medicine?

Everything I have found online is either pretty old, or contradictory - e.g. someone wrote that residents stay until 9 to gross and are working weekends, but according to FREIDA first year residents work on average 45 hr/week.

I believe this statement is very telling IN GENERAL about young physicians today—“stay until nine”, “working weekends” and “average 45 hr/week”.
This has permeated medicine in general today. Nothing wrong with it.
But, perhaps the attitudes that existed when my partners and I did so well in the dark ages was that these were not concerns of residents, our associates or my partners.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to be a good pathologist, be at a top program and set yourself up for a successful career, expect to work hard and "stay until 9 pm". All the top places I'm interviewing at are usually 7 am - 9/10 pm on surg path

If you want to be a good pathologist, be at a top program and set yourself up for a successful career, expect to work hard and "stay until 9 pm". All the top places I'm interviewing at are usually 7 am - 9/10 pm on surg path

Does that include top west coast programs?

Personally, I don't have a problem staying until 8, 9 or 10. I expect long hours, especially in the first year when I will likely be slow and inefficient. And when done with work I plan to do a lot of independent reading because the amount of knowledge, and how little I know, scares me.

I used this example to demonstrate the difference in information, which makes me question credibility of these sources (forum, PD survey..) for other data as well.