Mount Sinai vs. UVA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CheckMate

My lost shaker of salt
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
o

Members don't see this ad.

CheckMate said:
I have been debating this for awhile now! I don't want to base my decision on the NYC factor. Which school has the edge/gives better preparation? US News gives UVA higher ranking by residency directors, but the match list at MSSM seems to be competitive with UVAs. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

I would pick you UVA. Mt. Sinai has a good reputation but I think UVA is a little better

CheckMate said:
I have been debating this for awhile now! I don't want to base my decision on the NYC factor. Which school has the edge/gives better preparation? US News gives UVA higher ranking by residency directors, but the match list at MSSM seems to be competitive with UVAs. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Do you want to do research or be a clinician? And why not consider NYC? You're going to be living there for four years, after all, and a school's surroundings obviously affect your patient base and thus your clinical education.

Members don't see this ad :)
CheckMate said:
Blump--is this a regional observation? Does what you say hold true in the Northeast (and not just in VA and surrounding states)?

I am from NYC and although Mt. Sinai is a good school, I do not think it is as good as UVA. If you were choosing between Columbia, Cornell, or UVA that would be a different story. Yes, NYC will be fun but also expensive and I think that is a factor as well. Both are great options, however. I think it all comes down to, which would you be comfortable at. I am not familiar with UVA's match list but I know it has a great reputation. Look to see what part of the country each match and then see if that is where you want to end up. good luck

I know that UVA business school and probably law school have a pretty strong reputation in places like NYC. I can only guess that the medical school has at least a comparable reputation, despite the fact it is ranked lower than the other grad schools at UVA.

CheckMate said:
Blump--is this a regional observation? Does what you say hold true in the Northeast (and not just in VA and surrounding states)?

It has one more letter in its abbreviation. That's about it.

CheckMate said:
Would anyone pick MSSM over UVA (what is your reason for it?)?

Virginia is for lovers. A statement derived from a 1956 study showing that the average Virginia had a phallus approximately 0.75 inches longer (excluding most women) than the national average (little known fact).

Acherona said:
not being in virginia

Dr. Donkey said:
Virginia is for lovers. A statement derived from a 1956 study showing that the average Virginia had a phallus approximately 0.75 inches longer (excluding most women) than the national average (little known fact).
That's right, baby! No need for Enzyte here in VA!

Sorry to dissent. Both are great schools, and you couldn't go wrong with either. But, in the world of academia and also in terms of clinical training, MSSM is definitely a nothch above UVA.

1) More research dollars
2) Much higher MCATS (33.2 av this year)
3) Larger endowment
4) More Faculty (and more world famous faculty)
5) More clinical sites
6) NYC is NYC
7) MUCH BETTER MATCH LIST...trust me (if you want, do a search of past threads to see for yourself)

Peace Out

THIS WAS POSTED LAST YEAR ON SDN: What was that aboutwhich match list had better programs??

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Here are some of the highlights of MSSM's 2004 match. I think the results are pretty strong for a small med school (just over 100 per class). There were about 20 that stayed at MSSM that I didn't list, but I consider those prime matches, too. Medicine is always solid here, but over all I think Sinai matched people in the top places in pretty much every specialty that students applied in.

ANES:
Columbia

DERM:
MSSM

EMERGENCY MED:
NYU-Bellevue

ENT:
MSSM
U. Maryland
Yale

MEDICINE:
BI-Deaconess
Brigham and Womens
Cornell
Cornell
Cornell
Columbia
Columbia
Mass General
Mass General
U. Penn
Stanford

NEURO:
Cornell
Columbia

OB-GYN:
Brigham and Womens

OPTHO:
U. Penn

ORTHO:
MSSM
Columbia
Penn. State

PSYCH:
Columbia
Cornell
Mass General
Yale

RAD-DIAGN:
Mass General
Mass General
MSSM
MSSM
MSSM

RAD-ONC:
Memorial Sloan Kettering
Dana-Farber/Brigham/Harvard

SURGERY:
Cornell
Stanford
UCSF

UROLOGY:
UCSF

the 2 schools are comparable in reputation. are you a VA resident?? if so, go there. no sense in accumulating extra debt.

Abe Froman said:
2) Much higher MCATS (33.2 av this year)

what does this have to do with choosing the school?

wendywellesley said:
what does this have to do with choosing the school?

It suggests the caliber of applicants the school is able to attract, and indirectly provides evidence of the sort of intellectual functioning needed to do well in the pre-clinical portion of medical school (ref: Academic Medicine---no correlation was found with the clinical years). However, I agree, the MCAT has its limitations. Still, it is the only standardized source of information available.

It should also be noted that many school's have an artificially high MCAT score because they only accept a small number of URM applicants. In Sinai's case, the precent of URMs is nearly double the national average, which suggests two important things: 1) Their MCATs are actually "relatively" higher than they appear compared with many of their peer institutions, and 2) They take other factors into
consideration besides MCATs, such as minority status, artistic talents, research, etc. In other words, Sinai has remarkably high test scores when compared to other schools in spite of the fact that Sinai actively recruits applicants whose talents are underestimated by such standardized assessments.

In my observations, girls in the south are hotter (I don't know why, it just is). So if you are a guy, go to UVA. If you are a girl, go to MSSM.

In all seriousness, MSSM is more reputable than UVA despite what US News thinks. Residency directors know MSSM has one of the highest avg MCAT scores in the nation so they know the caliber of the students there are amazing. Many of these students turn down higher US News ranked schools including UVA to be there. As far as many of these kids were probably concerned, if they didn't get into Cornell or Yale, they were going to NYU or MSSM.

In conclusion, go to MSSM cause its in NYC and does not have a worse rep.

ive actually heard that uva's clinical training is a little sub-par compared to those schools with similar rankings.. in fact some say its only #2 or 3 in the state of va in that aspect. however, thier basic sciences are supposedly top-notch and rivaling of those top-20s like pitt, northwestern, etc.

whattodowithmys said:
ive actually heard that uva's clinical training is a little sub-par compared to those schools with similar rankings.. in fact some say its only #2 or 3 in the state of va in that aspect. however, thier basic sciences are supposedly top-notch and rivaling of those top-20s like pitt, northwestern, etc.

i hear that too, but it usually comes from people that got accepted to the other two va schools and rejected by uva... thier clinical may not rival the top tiers but they do a good job with exposure, the third year rotations can be done at places like inova fairfax a big name hospital in va..