Mount Sinai wait list movement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ellen Robb

DocMom
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone hear anything yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
really? no one heard anything?

If you look at the waitlist thread from last year, no one heard anything till June... they didn't even look at the waitlist till then. Not saying it has any relevance to this year, but I wouldn't be so sure about hearing something this month:)

Withdrew this week to free up a spot. Good luck you guys; Mt. Sinai is amazing! I just didn't like NYC since I'm from LA originally.

Withdrew this week to free up a spot. Good luck you guys; Mt. Sinai is amazing! I just didn't like NYC since I'm from LA originally.

I just withdrew my acceptance as well. Hope my spot goes to one of you guys! Best of luck!

I withdrew today! Good luck to you guys

u guys are awesome.

Thanks for the well wishes and for opening up those spots. The earliest we will hear is May 15th, so I wouldn't expect anything before that. I would have to think though that there would at least a little bit of time after May 15 and before we hear.

I called today and they said there is a committee meeting on May 25, so basically movement will begin after Memorial Day.

I called today and they said there is a committee meeting on May 25, so basically movement will begin after Memorial Day.

Awesome! Thanks for calling. Does anyone happen to know how we should expect to hear about getting in off of the wait list (i.e. phone, e-mail, etc.)?

Members don't see this ad :)
waitlist movement, meaning acceptances, last year (from SDN) it seems like it was by email.
i mean, the acceptances (so i hear from SDN) were also by email.

I got an acceptance this afternoon via email. VERY happy....good luck everyone!

I just got in off the waitlist via email. just wanted to let you all know. i have no idea what i'm going to do.

congrats on those gettin off the WL!

Congrats all. I'm on the waitlist and was just curious...does any happen to know if they're waiting a while before accepting more people from the wait list again, where the class stands, or really anything that might be helpful to us waitlisters? Thanks. :)

Congrats all. I'm on the waitlist and was just curious...does any happen to know if they're waiting a while before accepting more people from the wait list again, where the class stands, or really anything that might be helpful to us waitlisters? Thanks. :)

Hi there - I was told when I called this week that while the committee was meeting on Friday (5/25) the waitlist would move all summer and they seemed to imply that the ranking was not set in stone.

Send those updates! And if it's your first choice, MAKE SURE Dean Barnett knows....they actually keep a list of people that have stated that MSSM is their first choice (a friend went to inquire on my behalf and he apparently referenced said list). Also every time you send an email or call they make a note in your file. Show interest.... :luck:

Thanks A Tree and SuperHiro. I sent in an update/interest letter after my interview and an update/letter of intent/statement of it being my first choice in mid April. The information to put in a new update is on the lighter side at this point, but I probably will write in a couple of weeks and take your advice. I'm glad that they are interested in people that are interested in them :)

Some of you mentioned sending emails of interest to MSSM but do you guys send them to the admissions dept. or to the dean directly?

I kind of went many routes....I sent an email post-interview to the office, a letter to the Dean post-waitlist, then an email to the dean, then an email to the office with a few calls in there too. (This was all over the course of 3 months) I was told when I called that all correspondence gets noted in your file, including phone calls. :luck:

I kind of went many routes....I sent an email post-interview to the office, a letter to the Dean post-waitlist, then an email to the dean, then an email to the office with a few calls in there too. (This was all over the course of 3 months) I was told when I called that all correspondence gets noted in your file, including phone calls. :luck:
what do u say when u call them - that u really want to go there?

address an email to dean barnett and cc the admissions office. he will actually respond. That is the most effective thing to do i think.

Just got an email from Jessica asking if I wished to stay on the waitlist. She didn't BCC everyone -- which btw I think is poor form -- and it seems there are 20-30ish other names on there. Probably only sent to ppl on the waitlist who haven't sent in letters recently like me. Plus I remember something like this happening last year and it definitely doesn't indicate a better chance of getting off the waitlist or anything like that. Anyway, to the ppl dying to get into Sinai, good luck!

Just got an email from Jessica asking if I wished to stay on the waitlist. She didn't BCC everyone -- which btw I think is poor form -- and it seems there are 20-30ish other names on there. Probably only sent to ppl on the waitlist who haven't sent in letters recently like me. Plus I remember something like this happening last year and it definitely doesn't indicate a better chance of getting off the waitlist or anything like that. Anyway, to the ppl dying to get into Sinai, good luck!

I counted exactly 50 people on that list and it wasn't to those who haven't sent anything in as an update or let MSSM know that the school is their number 1 choice (because I'm on it and I've sent those things in).

I think they do this in order to match up students on the list that are really interested in them with the students that they are really interested in. That way, they do not have to make offers to their top picks and find that those students aren't really interested despite being on the list.

I counted exactly 50 people on that list and it wasn't to those who haven't sent anything in as an update or let MSSM know that the school is their number 1 choice (because I'm on it and I've sent those things in).

I think they do this in order to match up students on the list that are really interested in them with the students that they are really interested in. That way, they do not have to make offers to their top picks and find that those students aren't really interested despite being on the list.

I got the e-mail too and have let them know they are my number one choice, and I sent in a letter at the end of April. I counted around 49 names but yeah it's around there. I think I'm going to call to see what's up. Good luck to all.

sorry to be a "glass is half-empty" kinda person, but here's my theory:

look carefully at the others that were emailed as well. most of the time, email addresses include people's names. well, the names in my email all have last names in the area of the alphabet around my last name. so, at first, i thought that the list was encouragingly short. now, i think that they just sent emails in 50-name chunks, when in fact, the list is much longer than that. now, whether or not everyone chooses to remain on the list is another story, but i don't think think it's as short as some of you seem to think.

sorry to be a "glass is half-empty" kinda person, but here's my theory:

look carefully at the others that were emailed as well. most of the time, email addresses include people's names. well, the names in my email all have last names in the area of the alphabet around my last name. so, at first, i thought that the list was encouragingly short. now, i think that they just sent emails in 50-name chunks, when in fact, the list is much longer than that. now, whether or not everyone chooses to remain on the list is another story, but i don't think think it's as short as some of you seem to think.

I think you're wrong.

Although, at first, it appears that your theory may in fact be the case, a closer examination shows that people with last names starting with letters from different parts of the alphabet are indeed mixed in there. Did anyone get anything different from the list that starts with the last name whose first two letters are "Be" and ends with the last name whose first two letters are "Ch?"

I think you're wrong.

Although, at first, it appears that your theory may in fact be the case, a closer examination shows that people with last names starting with letters from different parts of the alphabet are indeed mixed in there. Did anyone get anything different from the list that starts with the last name whose first two letters are "Be" and ends with the last name whose first two letters are "Ch?"

I actually think you are wrong and that lilold3chordme is right.

My last name is at the end of the alphabet and I received a list that included only people with last names starting with U-Z. And there are only 33 names. That's strong evidence to me.

But on a more rational note, isn't it a little strange that we are analyzing these meager tidbits of information for insight into the process? This is what med school applications have reduced us to. Sad.

I hope this will clear things up for you guys: A friend of mine went to talk to Dr. Barnett and it seems that there are about 400 people on the wait list. In fact, I have several friends who got the same email but with different email addresses/people on it. Good luck all.

As promised I called admissions today. Basically, they had their first committee meeting last Friday and accepted people at that point. They are planning to wait and see how people respond to those offers of admissions. Then they will have another committee meeting (they don't have a date set for this yet) after they have an idea of how many people have secured spots in the school, and then they will make another admissions offer (and then they'll keep going through this cycle). They expect to be keeping the waitlist open throughout the summer.

They also mentioned that they sent several e-mails out this morning (not just the one that I saw with about 50 names on it), so we probably shouldn't take this as an indication of if they like us or not; I'm guessing that everyone got the e-mail. They confirmed to me that the waitlist is ranked but that they do not release these rankings. I hope this helps.

I just called too and heard the same thing. More importantly, however the woman told me that they havn't received any of the letters I've sent them over the past 3 months. And now I am currently looking for a rope. (joking) lol

But this process is ******ed. I must agree with that

My last name is at the end of the alphabet and I received a list that included only people with last names starting with U-Z. And there are only 33 names. That's strong evidence to me.

Then, yup, you're right. My reasoning was based on the fact that in my e-mail (between last names starting with "Be" to those starting with "Ch"), there are people with last names that appear to start with "G", "V", etc.

Good detective work folks.

I know there won't be any movement on this list for awhile, just want to keep the waitlist threads active... :-\

So they are rejecting people off the wait list now? Crunch what did you letter say? has anyone else gotten this who is outside nyc?

So they are rejecting people off the wait list now? Crunch what did you letter say? has anyone else gotten this who is outside nyc?

Dear Cpt. Crunch:

We regret to inform you that we will not be able to offer you a place in the Mount Sinai School of Medicine for the coming year. A large number of highly qualified students apply to the School of Medicine and, for this reason it has become necessary to withhold offers of acceptance to many worthy
applicants. This decision was reached after careful consideration of your qualifications.

We hope you succeed in gaining acceptance at another school, and appreciate the interest you showed in applying to the Mount Sinai School of Medicine.

Sincerely,
Associate Dean for Admissions

I interviewed in January and sent two update letters after I was waitlisted. Good luck to all of you still on the list.

Sorry about that CptCrunch. Good luck with everything.

As of last Wednesday afternoon when I called admissions, they didn't have another commitee meeting scheduled yet, so I'm kind of surprised that they made decisions on anyone's application. Does anyone want to call and see if there are any updates in terms of new commitee meetings and/or waitlist movement, or do you think we should wait until next week? I think I'll wait a little bit before I bug the admissions people again.

I hate how we have to prance around them like theyre gods. Those admissions secretaries are all *****s. Such a demeaning process...

I hate how we have to prance around them like theyre gods. Those admissions secretaries are all *****s. Such a demeaning process...

How dare they refuse to acknowledge your superiority! Peons!

Sorry about that CptCrunch. Good luck with everything.

As of last Wednesday afternoon when I called admissions, they didn't have another commitee meeting scheduled yet, so I'm kind of surprised that they made decisions on anyone's application. Does anyone want to call and see if there are any updates in terms of new commitee meetings and/or waitlist movement, or do you think we should wait until next week? I think I'll wait a little bit before I bug the admissions people again.

i was informed that the next meeting would be on june 19th. at this point, the class is full, but that would likely change by then.

Called today and said that they are meeting tomorrow and will take people off the wait list tomorrow. Best of luck for all of us who are waiting and love Sinai!

any lucky people getting some love from sinai after today's meeting?

i, too, am curious.