Mount Sinai wait list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rgroov3

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know they say tons of people get off. but does anyone have any numbers about how many are on the wait list and how many get off?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd also like to know... Anyone? I know someone who was waitlisted last year, wrote letters of intent, and still did not get off...

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you can figure it out from the MSAR....the number of people accepted minus the class size should tell you how many get off the waitlist, right? It seems like for each person that gives up an acceptance, there must be one person who gets off the waitlist. That doesn't tell you anything about how fast it happens, though.

LJL said:
I think you can figure it out from the MSAR....the number of people accepted minus the class size should tell you how many get off the waitlist, right? It seems like for each person that gives up an acceptance, there must be one person who gets off the waitlist. That doesn't tell you anything about how fast it happens, though.

I don't think it works that way. As far as I know, most schools overaccept. So only after the "extra" people give up their acceptances, and that number starts cutting into their usual class size do they begin using the waitlist. So to clarify, the question should probably be: "By how many people does Mount Sinai overaccepts? And how many people on average decline their acceptance to Mount Sinai, causing them to use the waitlist."

NYMed said:
I don't think it works that way. As far as I know, most schools overaccept. So only after the "extra" people give up their acceptances, and that number starts cutting into their usual class size do they begin using the waitlist. So to clarify, the question should probably be: "By how many people does Mount Sinai overaccepts? And how many people on average decline their acceptance to Mount Sinai, causing them to use the waitlist."

Oh...I thought they just filled the class and went from there. What happens if they overbook like an airplane? Never happens?

I guess nobody really has any way of knowing the answer to the original question then. You'd have to survey the class or ask the admissions board.