Blaze0322
New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone! I’m currently deciding between Tufts and Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, and I’d love to hear some outside perspectives. Here’s how I’m thinking through it:
Tufts University School of Medicine
Pros:
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
Pros:
Overall:
They are both close to home since I am from CT. However, I feel more comfortable and settled with Tufts, but it’s hard to justify choosing it over a more affordable, better-ranked school with such strong clinical opportunities and a new curriculum that I like. It’s been a tough call. Would love to hear how others might approach this! Thanks so much in advance.
Tufts University School of Medicine
Pros:
- My girlfriend lives in Boston, and a solid number of my close friends are here too, so I’d have a stronger support system.
- I went to undergrad in Boston and have done research at Tufts, so I’m very familiar with the school and already have great connections with its faculty/physicians and current med students.
- Solid research opportunities
- Students there are generally pretty chill
- Tufts has a great reputation, especially in New England.
- It’s significantly more expensive.
- Less national recognition
- Patient population won't be as diverse and there are fewer clinical sites
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
Pros:
- The hospital system and clinical rotations look amazing. I’d get exposure to a wide range of patient populations across NYC.
- It’s slightly higher ranked, and has a strong national reputation, which could help with my goal of pursuing orthopedic surgery.
- Great research opportunities and it seems easy to break into research early on
- Affordable on-campus housing in NYC
- Also new curriculum seems more flexible
- It’s less expensive than Tufts (around a 15K difference)
- Boston > NYC (Boston is a slower paced city which is nice)
- While I have a few friends in NYC, my main social/support system (and my girlfriend) will still be in Boston.
- I’ll have to rebuild my network and start fresh with connections at Sinai — which could be exciting, but still something to consider.
Overall:
They are both close to home since I am from CT. However, I feel more comfortable and settled with Tufts, but it’s hard to justify choosing it over a more affordable, better-ranked school with such strong clinical opportunities and a new curriculum that I like. It’s been a tough call. Would love to hear how others might approach this! Thanks so much in advance.