Move to Oklahoma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BobBarker

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In 2010, Oklahoma will have 3 medical schools with STRONG in state preference. 115 spots at Oklahoma State College of Osteopathic Medicine - Tulsa. 70 at OU College of Community Medicine Tulsa MD, and 162+ at OU in OKC MD. With the numbers how they are I would say 26 MCAT with 3.5 GPA would be almost automatically accepted to one of the 3 schools. If you are having trouble getting in with good stats I would STRONGLY recommend moving to Oklahoma and working for a year and then reapping the next year. In Oklahoma, housing is very cheap and the job market is strong so you would have no trouble making for the year to establish in state residency.

Members don't see this ad.

Heh, do you work for the Oklahoma tourism board? I respect the spreading of helpful information about medical school but moving to a state for the purposes of increasing in-state odds seems unrealistic.

How bout a free Plinko chip, Bob?

No plinko chip for you! Just completed my 2nd year at OSU, took USMLE yesterday. I know many of you guys have very good stats, you just haven't had any luck. One of our best students in my class did exactly what I'm advocating you doing. He's from Idaho/Wyoming so neither of those states have medical schools and he couldn't get into Colorado (which has a few Idaho/Wyoming reserved spots) or the other area schools. So he packs up his wife and kids, moves to Tulsa, gets a job at one of the major hospitals, gains Oklahoma residency (must be an OK resident for one year, and within that year you can not take college classes. Its done like this because we have so many Texas kids that go to OU and OSU for undergrad) and gets in on his first shot at OSU. He's a great guy and has done really well in all of his classes. We are lucky to have him in our class. He's 30, so it took him awhile to get in, but without the moving to OK it never would have happened. FYI, I live in a brand new 3 bedroom , 2 bath house, 2 car garage, with a nice sized yard and it was less than 120K. So the housing market is very affordable compared to most other areas.

Members don't see this ad :)
No plinko chip for you! Just completed my 2nd year at OSU, took USMLE yesterday. I know many of you guys have very good stats, you just haven't had any luck. One of our best students in my class did exactly what I'm advocating you doing. He's from Idaho/Wyoming so neither of those states have medical schools and he couldn't get into Colorado (which has a few Idaho/Wyoming reserved spots) or the other area schools. So he packs up his wife and kids, moves to Tulsa, gets a job at one of the major hospitals, gains Oklahoma residency (must be an OK resident for one year, and within that year you can not take college classes. Its done like this because we have so many Texas kids that go to OU and OSU for undergrad) and gets in on his first shot at OSU. He's a great guy and has done really well in all of his classes. We are lucky to have him in our class. He's 30, so it took him awhile to get in, but without the moving to OK it never would have happened. FYI, I live in a brand new 3 bedroom , 2 bath house, 2 car garage, with a nice sized yard and it was less than 120K. So the housing market is very affordable compared to most other areas.

Kudos. I commend your classmate and anyone that puts in the elbow grease to get this sort of thing done.

Hi.
I'm an internal medicine doctor.
I agree that moving to a state to try to get into med school is not necessarily silly. However, to do it with a wife and kids definitely is daring!
It is definitely true that it's easier to get in in some states vs. others. It's bascially a numbers game of number of open spots vs. numbe of applicants.

I would definitely consider it if I lived in a neighboring state that had fewer spots. For example, if one is in Missouri the only state school last time I looked had <100 positions/year. There is a 2nd state school but that's only for people straight out of high school, and is a 6 year program....

This is a great idea!! And a great solution. This makes total sense. If you want something badly enough, that is the best way.

This is a great idea!! And a great solution. This makes total sense. If you want something badly enough, that is the best way.

Just in case there are people who didn't get in this cycle flocking to look for Oklahoma realtors, I wouldn't say this is "the best way", but it certainly is good to know the options available. That's my 2 centimos, anyways.

uhhh, I think there are only 2 schools. the OU Tulsa is just a branch of OU. I know they are opening that Community school or whatever, but I think you'll still apply to OU to get into it?

if the Community one is actually a new med school, then can we apply to it THIS year? you said by 2010, so does that mean ppl a year from now will be the first ones able to apply?

Currently OU Tulsa has 3rd and 4th years only. Beginning in fall 2010, they will have 70 first year Tulsa only students every year. Its essentially a new school. George Kaiser, a Tulsa businessman, gave them 50 million specifically for this purpose.