PhakeDoc

Mudder Phudder
10+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2007
Just off the Yellow Brick Rd
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Not finding too much info on this via search, so I was wondering if you folks could chime in as to who are the movers and the shakers in this field due to actually innovative work being done there, not just based on names/past laurels? I'm particularly interested in DBS/electrophys and outcomes research.

There was the one post in that "oh no, not that top 5 thread again" http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7585295&postcount=150 , but wanted to see what else is out there.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2010
Status
MD/PhD Student
Jancovic at Baylor is really well known, but I'm not sure if Baylor itself is.
I've heard good things about Iowa and UPenn.

Hopefully, that's a good start.

bluntdissector

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Not finding too much info on this via search, so I was wondering if you folks could chime in as to who are the movers and the shakers in this field due to actually innovative work being done there, not just based on names/past laurels? I'm particularly interested in DBS/electrophys and outcomes research.

There was the one post in that "oh no, not that top 5 thread again" http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7585295&postcount=150 , but wanted to see what else is out there.

Thanks!
Here's another thread that mentions several fellowships, but is pretty quiet with regards to movement disorders - only mentioned in the first post and without much conviction (no names, etc)

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=457725

i heard Rush in Chicago is really good
Barrow Neurological Institute in Phoenix has an entire 'Muhammad Ali Movement Disorders Clinic". I forget the name of the doctor who runs it, but I was pretty impressed by it when I interviewed there. (but not by Barrow lol)

typhoonegator

Neurointensivist
10+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Status
Attending Physician
Mass General has a decent movement disorders unit. Dr. Anne Young (chair) pretty much figured out the basal ganglia model we are all taught now. There are several centers/institutes for research within the movement unit for PD and neurodegenerative disease. There is a major focus on Huntington's at MGH, if I recall correctly. Alice Flaherty is also in movement, she writes the MGH Neuro Handbook, FWIW. Nutan Sharma is a dystonia guru who treats both children and adults and takes care of the "pretzel children" with generalized dystonia. Emad Eskandar is a neurosurgeon there who does DBS and ablations and has a huge lab where he does research on basal ganglia substructures in advanced animal models. Probably worth a look.

danielmd06

Neurosomnologist
10+ Year Member
Sep 9, 2006
Florida
Status
Attending Physician
UAB- Large volume of MVMT d/o clinic patients. Very active DBS program.
I've heard good things about UAB. Is there only a two year fellowship?

exgatr

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2003
Visit site
Status
I think so. I don't have all the details though. Feel free to email the program director (his email should be on the website) at any time though.

ask1288

http://alturl.com/3bjy
10+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2005
Gainesville, FL
alturl.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Univ of florida has a huge movement disorders group, and they are pretty active in DBS. They write the book board review for neurology (Hubert Fernandez, Okun...)

Apr 16, 2010
Status
Movement disorder fellowships are generally 1-2 years. Some of the best programs include:
-Baylor (Jankovic, Ondo)
-Columbia (Fahn)
-University of Toronto (Lang)
-Rush (Goetz)
-Beth Israel (Bressman)
-Mount Sinai (Olanow, Tagliati)
-UPenn (Stern)
-Unversity of Florida (Okun)
-Barrow Neurological Institute (Lieberman)
-Medical College of Georgia (Sethi)

llogg

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
The list provided by Oiler is pretty good. The Movement Disorders course recently given at the AAN in Toronto was delivered by people from that list. UAB seems to be a program on the rise and their chairman is a Movement Disorders guy. My program (UTSW) is just starting a Movement Fellowship and is ramping up their DBS program as well.

PhakeDoc

Mudder Phudder
10+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2007
Just off the Yellow Brick Rd
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Thanks everyone for contributing to this thread. I'm surprised to see that neither the Harvard affiliates nor UCSF are on the list - are their faculty in these areas not doing innovating things? Also, how about Montreal Neurological Institute?