Tim.P

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 26, 2004
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Status
Hey,
I was just looking into optometry as a career, and I was wondering how easy it would be to attend optometry school in the US, and then move back to Canada to practice after graduation? Are there many complications?

jefguth

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2004
British Columbia
Status
Optometrist
The only complications I have heard of is more of an inconvience; you may have to write your licensing exams at the University of Waterloo. One of my classmates here told me that his cousin did her OD at Pacific but had to write the Canadian exams in Waterloo even though she is now practicing in Alberta.

Other than that, the only potential problem I see is being able to make the debt and expense of an OD in the USA worthwhile on the income of a Canadian OD. It definately has been done, but its something that concerns me as I look into it. But then again there seems to be a fair bit of angst in the USA about making enough money too, and I think optometrists in areas such as Alberta and BC are doing relatively better that those in some of the other provinces (especially Ontario until now). I think I found a figure somewhere that showed the reimbursement for optometrist in different provinces under their insurance plans: Alberta was ~$120, BC $110, Ontario $39.15, and most others were around $50-60. Of course, that is only for those children and seniors that are now covered under those plans, optometrist are charging more intermediate rates for people who are not covered ($60-100).

Personally, I find it to be a scary proposition, but gooing to school in the US definately increases your options since you don't have to solely rely on UW.... <sigh>

xmattODx

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2003
Visit site
Status
jefguth said:
The only complications I have heard of is more of an inconvience; you may have to write your licensing exams at the University of Waterloo. One of my classmates here told me that his cousin did her OD at Pacific but had to write the Canadian exams in Waterloo even though she is now practicing in Alberta.

QUOTE]

Everyone has to write Canadian licensing exams either at U of W or U of Montreal - no matter where you practice in Canada. Pass that test and your province's law exam and you're good to go. I would re-iterate that paying for your education is the only drawback in going home but with the Canadian dollar doing better these days, maybe in four of five years it won't be as big of a deal. I suppose the smaller (but expanding) scope of practice could be a drawback as well.

Advantages in going home: Tim Horton's, Family, and of course its Canada!

HighlyFanatic

sup?
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2002
Status
Tim.P said:
Hey,
I was just looking into optometry as a career, and I was wondering how easy it would be to attend optometry school in the US, and then move back to Canada to practice after graduation? Are there many complications?

hey Tim, im from Edmonton and i goto UHCO... from what ive heard it is a bit complicated but if you want to stay in the US, hiring a good immigration lawyer helps alot with the paperwork.