Moving for fellowship

Started by spikemd13
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

spikemd13

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am going to be moving to a different state for fellowship, California to be specific and I was wondering about the pros/cons of becoming a resident of the state or not...for things such as a CA drovers license, vehicle registration etc are just a couple of things that come to mind right off the bat (especially with the emission regulations that they have for California vehicles). I know some people in my residency still have license plates from their home state from years before but I’m not sure what the reasoning behind that is...anybody have any insight? It will be a three year fellowship, unclear where I’d end up after that. Thanks for any advice
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Many states require that you register your car and obtain a DRIVERS license (I was tempted to make the same sheep joke above lol) within a short period of time of moving there. In addition, your auto insurance may require it as well.

I had 30 days when I moved to AZ and was questioned about my OOS plates and DL when I was pulled over for an illegal U turn. My mother lied for me and said I had just moved here (it had been several months). CA is even stricter: you have 10 days to get a new DL and 20 for vehicle registration.

Since it is a ticketable offense, I see no reason not to do it especially for a 3 year fellowship (unless you have a gangsta mother like mine lol).
 
I was wondering about the pros/cons of becoming a resident of the state or not
For the most part, you don't get to decide whether you become a resident of a specific state or not. Each state has laws that specify what you must do, and I know of people not in this thread that have gotten tickets for not changing their license and car as required.
 
CDL? Who's driving truck for a living?

That was my first thought too...it took me a second to realize she meant "California" and not "commercial". Pretty sure WS has no trucking experience although that would make for awesome conversations when I run into her. It's not easy to climb into a big rig with stilettos on! 😉