moving off campus?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorbaker

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been living on the campus of my school for almost 2 years. I'm thinking about moving about 20 minutes away before MSIII begins. I know the hours are longer, etc, and therefore many people choose to move closer to the hospital. I just feel like I need some separation from school (not like I'm going to have much free time). Does anyone have personal experience from driving into the hospital for the clinical years or any advice? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I am just in my first year, so take this for what its worth:

I live 25 mins from campus @ 65 MPH. I absolutely hate it. I have centered my leave/go home times around rush hour traffic (leave for school at 630 AM, drive home at 400 PM unless test week, then 600 PM). Aside from the first week after a test, I drive to campus 7 days a week. So gas money definitely adds up. I live in a fairly large city (Kansas City).

I dont like the drive because when things move smoothly its one thing, but they rarely do. Wrecks slow the pace down, idiots slow the pace down and are generally frustrating. With the crazy amounts of snow we have had, it has made things terrible during the drive. If I could go back in time I would live within walking distance of campus, and Im certainly moving for second year. Just imagine leaving the hospital around rush hour after a frustrating day and dealing with traffic, vs. walking home and plopping down in a chair. That's my biggest thing.

That may just be me though. I tend to be a silent road rager.

My advice is to live as close as possible to your med school's major hospital during third year. I have a five minute walk. I said a prayer of thanks every day during surgery and ob-gyn rotations. If you can avoid drive time, do it. You will never regret it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm kind of on the extreme here... I live about an hour one way to school. I have to take public transportation because parking is nonexistent. I hate it but I deal with it. You make do. A lot of my classmates live off campus (closer too) and are fine. If I could park on campus, it would be awesome. SO if you have that option... then you'll be totally fine. And a nice break from the campus world too.

i live off campus but walking distance away.. i see students commuting from the other side of the city and from other boroughs and it feels almost like a different world for them... and we are only 1st years..
why not save the gas money, rent money (i assume it would be more expensive?) and just use whatever free time you have to explore outside of campus. after all, a room is a room is a room to live in right?

I live 25 mins from campus @ 65 MPH. I absolutely hate it. I have centered my leave/go home times around rush hour traffic (leave for school at 630 AM, drive home at 400 PM unless test week, then 600 PM). Aside from the first week after a test, I drive to campus 7 days a week. So gas money definitely adds up. I live in a fairly large city (Kansas City).

I dont like the drive because when things move smoothly its one thing, but they rarely do. Wrecks slow the pace down, idiots slow the pace down and are generally frustrating. With the crazy amounts of snow we have had, it has made things terrible during the drive. If I could go back in time I would live within walking distance of campus, and Im certainly moving for second year. Just imagine leaving the hospital around rush hour after a frustrating day and dealing with traffic, vs. walking home and plopping down in a chair. That's my biggest thing.

Jorski, where do you live? I'm starting first year at KU in July. I work there now and I haven't found the traffic to be too horrible. I'm in the NW part of the city, though. I just hop on I70 W and I'm home-free.

Also - are you guys able to pod-cast lectures? So at least for years 1 & 2, when we get slammed with snow again, you can watch from home? I'm mostly curious, because that's what I assumed I would be doing.....

I live 30 min away from campus (since 3/4 yr). I really like being away, not seeing the hospital when I am off work. I also find the commute time to be a way to chill out mindlessly after a hard days work.

Jorski, where do you live? I'm starting first year at KU in July. I work there now and I haven't found the traffic to be too horrible. I'm in the NW part of the city, though. I just hop on I70 W and I'm home-free.

Also - are you guys able to pod-cast lectures? So at least for years 1 & 2, when we get slammed with snow again, you can watch from home? I'm mostly curious, because that's what I assumed I would be doing.....

I am in OP off of 119th, so its US69 to I35 to school. From what I hear 70 isnt too bad during rush hour, but I35 is ridiculous. If there is a wreck then its game over. Driving in rush hour adds another 20 minutes to the drive (approx).

Yes, we can podcast, but my living situation is... interesting, so I find that I can't concentrate at home. I started off podcasting and thought I was OK until I did much more poorly then I thought I would on the first test. Started going to class after that, and now I podcast from campus (a bit counter intuitive but it works for me). Something to think about, when they start loading up your afternoon schedule (it gets worse after each module), you will have to come on campus anyway. So podcasting only helps to a certain extent.

Feel free to PM if you have more questions :).

Just a question... If you hate traffic, why center your travel schedule during rush hour? I understand in the morning because you have to be there at a certain time but why not stay on campus and study and leave after the traffic subsides?

As for the OP, I live 10 to 15 minutes from my school and could not imagine living on campus. I need that separation from school and my personal life. We have many hospitals that we use as teaching hospitals so living on campus doesn't necessarily leave you the closest to every hospital you will be rotating in. In my opinion, I wouldn't let a 20 minute drive stop me from moving while I think there are more important factors like living situation (roommates) and money (rent/utilities).

I lived 45-60 minutes (depending on traffic/parking time) away from school during med school, and now about the same during residency.

It's doable.

Just a question... If you hate traffic, why center your travel schedule during rush hour? I understand in the morning because you have to be there at a certain time but why not stay on campus and study and leave after the traffic subsides?

As for the OP, I live 10 to 15 minutes from my school and could not imagine living on campus. I need that separation from school and my personal life. We have many hospitals that we use as teaching hospitals so living on campus doesn't necessarily leave you the closest to every hospital you will be rotating in. In my opinion, I wouldn't let a 20 minute drive stop me from moving while I think there are more important factors like living situation (roommates) and money (rent/utilities).
Um, I think he meant he centered it around avoiding rush hour. Those are both time periods ~1 hour before rush hour (~7:00AM and ~5:00 PM usually).

As to the thread topic, I live a 10-15 minute drive from school, and I haven't had any issues so far. I like that where I live there's a good density of restaurants/coffeeshops to eat/study, and a short commute really isn't *that* bad. (I am just an M1 though)

Um, I think he meant he centered it around avoiding rush hour. Those are both time periods ~1 hour before rush hour (~7:00AM and ~5:00 PM usually).

That would be correct :).

As to the thread topic, I live a 10-15 minute drive from school, and I haven't had any issues so far. I like that where I live there's a good density of restaurants/coffeeshops to eat/study, and a short commute really isn't *that* bad. (I am just an M1 though)

My apologies.... I now see what he meant. I normally get on SDN when I am burnt out from studying so sometimes my reading comprehension isn't the best.

Like you said, I live about 10 or 15 minutes from campus and I like the close proximity to restaurants and coffee shops. If you live on campus (at least at my school), you don't really have many options as far as food or coffee go.

Moved about 25 min off campus after first year and never looked back. Commuting shouldn't be a stressful thing. I've found it a good time to relax. Throw on some music or talk radio and just not think about medical stuff for a while. For me, it is well worth living off campus, because when you go home for the day, you really go home (not just down the hall from the hospital/library and surrounded by neurotic med students freaking out about the test next week, the USMLE, their attending, gunners, etc.). Also, it was worth it to move out of the inner city to a nice neighborhood with stuff to do. If you are worried about the commute, a good option might be to move off campus but still near the school in the same city.

do you have mandatory lecture? why go to class?

I moved closer to school after living 20+ min away M1.

It was very nice M2 and M3 it's been very helpful for long hour rotations. I've had 1-2 rotations at sites with 25-30 min drives and it's a pain but doable, but when you already have to be in at 5-530 to start a 12+ hour day the last thing you need is to add a 1/2 hour to each end of that for your commute... more-so if you're going to be having overnight calls.

In the end, do what makes life best for you, just take the above into consideration.

do you have mandatory lecture? why go to class?

No mandatory lecture, although we do have required afternoon sessions a couple of days of the week (2-4). I go to campus and study because I can't concentrate effectively at home. Too many distractions.

No mandatory lecture, although we do have required afternoon sessions a couple of days of the week (2-4). I go to campus and study because I can't concentrate effectively at home. Too many distractions.

I live about 15 min away by car, half hour by bike. I dont really like studying at home either, for the same reasons. My roomie and I typically study at starbucks or something. Its actually pretty nice. Weve made friends with the regulars and more importantly, the cute baristas who hook us up with drinks :) You can bring ear plugs (my roomie does) or headphones and listen to music (i typically listen to classical, its makes for a nice background noise). And the different people going in and out make for a very nice distraction if you want it, but not so distracting that you cant concentrate. I dunno, you might try it. Although the mandatory sessions you have are a pain in the ass.

I live about 15 min away by car, half hour by bike. I dont really like studying at home either, for the same reasons. My roomie and I typically study at starbucks or something. Its actually pretty nice. Weve made friends with the regulars and more importantly, the cute baristas who hook us up with drinks :) You can bring ear plugs (my roomie does) or headphones and listen to music (i typically listen to classical, its makes for a nice background noise). And the different people going in and out make for a very nice distraction if you want it, but not so distracting that you cant concentrate. I dunno, you might try it. Although the mandatory sessions you have are a pain in the ass.

Ive thought about that. We have Starbucks and Borders everywhere around here, but every time I go in one and hear the espresso machine Im like "Eff that, I could never concentrate". Although I have some friends with the Bose noise canceling headphones that claim they cant hear anything with them on. But I think I am too cheap.

Studying at home wouldnt be so bad, if I didnt feel like the PS3 was staring at me, wanting me to play it. :)

Ive thought about that. We have Starbucks and Borders everywhere around here, but every time I go in one and hear the espresso machine Im like "Eff that, I could never concentrate". Although I have some friends with the Bose noise canceling headphones that claim they cant hear anything with them on. But I think I am too cheap.

Studying at home wouldnt be so bad, if I didnt feel like the PS3 was staring at me, wanting me to play it. :)

Haha. Yea, i have the Bose headphones. They are legit. I feel you on the PS3, thats why we dont even have a TV at our house, haha (i live with 2 other med students).

just got the bose headphones.. best **** ever!