moving to a school while on waitlists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrhealth

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a quick question. I am getting ready to move to a school across the country that will start in August. I have not set living arrangements yet. I am on waitlists for schools in other parts of the country that I would love to get into.

My question is: how do you setup living arrangements when there is a chance to get pulled off a waitlist even a week before classes start? I am not planning or relying on getting off a waitlist, but what do people do with a lease when they get pulled off a waitlist in another city?

Members don't see this ad.

Just a quick question. I am getting ready to move to a school across the country that will start in August. I have not set living arrangements yet. I am on waitlists for schools in other parts of the country that I would love to get into.

My question is: how do you setup living arrangements when there is a chance to get pulled off a waitlist even a week before classes start? I am not planning or relying on getting off a waitlist, but what do people do with a lease when they get pulled off a waitlist in another city?

you break the lease and risk not having your deposit returned to you.

There's a good chance that if you are willing to sacrifice the entire down payment you made when you signed the lease, that the landlord will be willing to advertise for a new renter. If you can find someone to sublease, or take over the lease you might be able to walk away with the entire deposit. Worst case scenario: you are legally liable for the rent each month for the next year, regardless of where you reside, if the landlord chooses to enforce the lease agreement you signed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you not liable for all the rent for a year? I guess I could just try to find a month-to-month lease.

Technically you are, but the landlord is also under a duty to mitigate his damages. So if he finds a renter (which is almost always likely), you can't be held responsible for the loss since he didn't incur any. There are a lot of state specific laws, but this is the little bit of the general rule I remember from contract law.

My advice - find a roommate on craigslist and avoid the headache. Good luck to you on the waitlist though!