MPH/DDS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigbutrealdreams

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I noticed that some schools offer a dual degree in DDS/MPH.
What is the advantage of having an MPH in terms of dental career opportunities?
Also, how many extra years of schooling are necessary? Most importantly, is dual degree worth the additional financial investment?

Thank you, all!

Members don't see this ad.

If you're going into private practice, there really is no benefit. It's more about populations and finding ways to give populations access to care. I'd say it would only help you if you wanted to do research or become involved in health care administration. It's usually +1 years to your 4 years for your DDS/DMD.

Last edited:
Ya, there is no benefit. Its for those interested in public health, either research or working in community clinics (which arguably an MPH wouldn't help much for anyways).

Members don't see this ad :)
An MPH is honestly just for those who want to work in public health and are really devoted to and passionate about community oral health. At my school, the dual degree is, most of the time, covered financially, and I think the MPH program starts your summer after your first year and ends the summer after your senior year/when you graduate dental school.

An MPH is honestly just for those who want to work in public health and are really devoted to and passionate about community oral health. At my school, the dual degree is, most of the time, covered financially, and I think the MPH program starts your summer after your first year and ends the summer after your senior year/when you graduate dental school.
could you please clarify what you mean by the dual degree being covered financially? also what school do you go to? thanks!

could you please clarify what you mean by the dual degree being covered financially? also what school do you go to? thanks!
Depends on the school, but tuition is covered for some dual degree programs so that you don't have to pay. But if the dual degree program takes an extra year or so, it won't be covered. I go to one of the Ivys.

Hi guys,

I noticed that some schools offer a dual degree in DDS/MPH.
What is the advantage of having an MPH in terms of dental career opportunities?
Also, how many extra years of schooling are necessary? Most importantly, is dual degree worth the additional financial investment?

Thank you, all!
I'm currently in an MPH program and I love it - I can see the degree being useful whether you go into the research/non-clinical side of dental public health or pursue private practice. There's a lot of variety in the types of courses you can take in an MPH program (I'm not sure how they vary by DDS/MPH programs, or what concentration you focus on). But, there are courses like cancer epidemiology and global health, healthcare organization and delivery (seeing how dentistry fits in the big picture of healthcare), financial management courses, health disparities (you are bound to encounter health disparities wherever you practice)... The courses are genuinely interesting. In my classes we've discussed how to address the shortage of PCPs and dentists in rural areas, debated the use of dental therapists - even if you go into private practice, it's good to have a background in the challenges facing the dental field and know how PH works. If you're up for an additional year of schooling (or however long the program is structured), I say go for it. I would absolutely argue against the idea that there is "no benefit" for private practice.

Reactions: 1 users