MPH dual degrees

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spartan14

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering completing a DO/MPH dual program. I am interested in Pubic Health, but am a little weary about the extra time and money this could cost me.

I don't know too much about it and was wondering if anyone could tell me about some potential benefits of these types of things.

Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Heh...there's a typo on your post and I'm laughing because I'm immature. :p

Anyway, I am also planning on getting into a DO/MPH dual program. I don't recall off the top of my head which programs have a DO/MPH dual program, but it's in the AACOMAS CIB handbook. I know that ATSU-SOMA has a DO/MPH dual degree that takes 4 years, not 5 like some programs. In my opinion, there's no point in getting an MPH for the sake of just doing it. I think that your interests in public health should be genuine and that you can envision yourself practicing medicine with a public health approach, if that makes sense. For me, I'm interested in community health and I'd like to apply whatever I learn from a public health degree for the purpose for improving, er, the health of the community as a whole as a physician.

What's your specific interest in public health? How will it help you in the future?

I personally think that taking an extra year and spending the extra money is not very wise. If a MPH is indicated for a future position, you can look into it then... but I would say that an MPH is infrequently useful for someone who is undecided as to what their future in medicine holds.