Has anyone done a DO/MPH? Is it worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JKiran

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I am an accepted student who will be starting medical school in a few months. I've been thinking about an MPH, but I'm curious if it's worth it. At my medical school, the program is completely online but I'm wondering if those who have done a DO/MPH program could share if 1) the workload is manageable along with med school and 2) provides an upperhand when applying to residencies. I'm interested in working with communities and patient education but would an MPH be necessary (or provide a significant advantage) to do that?

Members don't see this ad.

I obtained my MPH but did it after medical school, so I cannot comment on the workload of doing both.

My MPH allowed me to connect with multiple individuals (networking) in public health and better understand the integration of public health with healthcare. Additionally, it helped me to understand and read literature better.

I'm not sure an MPH in and of itself is going to help you work with communities and patient education any better than if you did not have the degree.

I did/do find that my MPH has helped me better to integrate public health and healthcare. It also has provided me with a broader perspective on the disaster work I do, especially with preparedness.

I will defer to my colleagues on their thoughts as well.

Thanks.

Wook

Reactions: 1 users
I am of the opinion that any additional degree is worthwhile. You never know where life will take you. I had a dual major in college, Chem and Secondary Education. I went to med school and practiced, but later health reasons caused me to enter med ed. You may decide to leave clinical medicine later and a MPH might open some doors. When to get it? I would get it after graduation as your priority now should be getting the best grades and board scores to match your residency of choice. Residency matching is getting more competitive. If you want the MPH sooner, you could always take a gap year. Good luck and best wishes!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am of the opinion that any additional degree is worthwhile. You never know where life will take you. I had a dual major in college, Chem and Secondary Education. I went to med school and practiced, but later health reasons caused me to enter med ed. You may decide to leave clinical medicine later and a MPH might open some doors. When to get it? I would get it after graduation as your priority now should be getting the best grades and board scores to match your residency of choice. Residency matching is getting more competitive. If you want the MPH sooner, you could always take a gap year. Good luck and best wishes!
By after graduation, do you mean obtain it during residency after finishing med school?

By after graduation, do you mean obtain it during residency after finishing med school?
Whenever you have the time. Some schools offer online MPH, and MBA, and Masters in Med. Some residencies are much to labor intensive to get an additional degree. There is always the option of a gap year during residency. Your goal in med school is to do your very best to put together a competitive app for residency. So after med school, residency, or gap yr in residency

Reactions: 1 users