-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
MPH Fall 2018: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!
Started by ConfusedAsUsual
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
accepted to pitt!
also was accepted to u penn last week (forgot to post that in my first post)
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Also in at UCLA HPM.
An FYI for Columbia's merit-based aid: from what I asked during a information session, you need a minimum GPA and GRE score to qualify. I believe the GRE score has to be above the 80th or the 90th percentiles.
Anyone correct me if I'm wrong!
Anyone correct me if I'm wrong!
I got my acceptance email from Tufts in December! I applied for Epi/biostats and submitted in I believe late October.Has anyone applied to or heard back from Tufts or Virginia Tech?
Congrats! Did you find out through the portal or an email?In at UCLA, HPM
Gillings is amazing!! I’m actually headed to Chapel Hill rn (my boyfriend is in med school there). What dept??Yes! I'm also on campus in Chapel Hill right now for my department's open house tomorrow. I'll let you know what Gillings is like!
Can you PM me as well? I also want to learn more about ColoradoI PMed you!
Congrats! I also applied to that program! Did you receive an email or access to an online portal?Also in at UCLA HPM.
Congrats! I also applied to that program! Did you receive an email or access to an online portal?
I received two emails.
Sorry I've been meaning to PM you but got carried away. Just did! 🙂Can you PM me as well? I also want to learn more about Colorado
Awesome!! I'm here for the ESE department, what department did you apply to? Is UNC your top choice?Gillings is amazing!! I’m actually headed to Chapel Hill rn (my boyfriend is in med school there). What dept??
Health Behavior and yes it is 100% my top choice!Awesome!! I'm here for the ESE department, what department did you apply to? Is UNC your top choice?
Anyone else apply to Oregon State or University of Arizona? If so has anyone heard anything back yet?
I've applied to Arizona and emailed them last week about a question for my app, and she said we will know by March 9 if applied by jan 5, or by feb 2 if you applied before dec 1.... but I'm also going to apply to Oregon State though I missed their priority deadline
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone know when Yale sends out financial aid packages?
Congrats on everyone's acceptances!
Quick thought that popped into my head, would you guys think it'd be worth sending in an application after the priority deadline? Particularly I'm looking at the MSPH in Global Disease Epidemiology and Control at John Hopkins. The deadline was January 15 and now it's on a space available basis. I don't know if I should spend the money on it if my chances are drastically reduced.
Quick thought that popped into my head, would you guys think it'd be worth sending in an application after the priority deadline? Particularly I'm looking at the MSPH in Global Disease Epidemiology and Control at John Hopkins. The deadline was January 15 and now it's on a space available basis. I don't know if I should spend the money on it if my chances are drastically reduced.
Last edited:
For merit awards I believe their website says "shortly after acceptance" and need-based comes out before March 15th. I kinda want to email to ask since Yale is one of my top choices but I can't hand over $100,000 to a school in order to earn an MPH.Anyone know when Yale sends out financial aid packages?
I've been emailing with the (amazingly awesome, btw) financial aid director at Yale and she said that my package would be coming around 2 weeks after my acceptance with both merit (if any) and need-based aid. I'm not sure if this was just because I reached out or not, but she's been super responsive and helpful!Anyone know when Yale sends out financial aid packages?
I just checked Wolverine access and viewed my application status and saw an acceptance from Michigan for HBHE! Don’t know why I haven’t received an email but thought I should let all of you know!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Congratulations! Yes, I received my acceptance on Wolverine Access before I got the official email, too.I just checked Wolverine access and viewed my application status and saw an acceptance from Michigan for HBHE! Don’t know why I haven’t received an email but thought I should let all of you know!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Also please keep in mind, all applicants are considered for merit based scholarships. In order to be reviewed you must have a cumulative undergraduate grade point average of 3.75 and have scored above the 80th% on all sections of your standardized exam."An FYI for Columbia's merit-based aid: from what I asked during a information session, you need a minimum GPA and GRE score to qualify. I believe the GRE score has to be above the 80th or the 90th percentiles.
Anyone correct me if I'm wrong!
From an email from Columbia's financial aid office fighting about including my parents' information in my FAFSA
Finally doing this cause I'm going a little crazy/getting decisions back so maybe it'll be useful to somebody. I applied to everything on the later side so I assume I'll have long wait times and poor financial aid offers :/
Undergrad School: GW
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.19
Major/Minor: Major in International Affairs with a Concentration in Global Health and a Minor in Sociology
GRE: 161Q/167V/5.0W (Oct 24)
Experience/Research: Currently working as a Opioid Abuse Educator. One year in with a well-known NGO as M&E Coordinator. Two years working/studying abroad in resource-poor areas.
Other factors: Strong personal statement
Interested in: Global Epidemiology
Applied: Berkeley - MPH in Epi/Biostats (11/30), Columbia - MPH in Epi (11/30), GW - MPH in GDEC (11/30), Emory - MPH in Global Epi (12/30), BU - MS in Epi (12/30), Yale - MPH in EMD (1/8), Hopkins - MSPH in GDEC (1/14), Tulane - MS in Epi (1/16), LSHTM - MS in Epi (1/18), NYU - MPH in Epi (1/25)
Accepted: GW (1/11) + $ (2/8), Columbia (1/22), Emory (1/29), BU (1/30) + $ (3/10), Tulane (2/1), Hopkins (2/9), Berkeley (2/13), NYU + $ (2/25), Yale (3/15) + $ (3/20)
Rejected: LSHTM (1/25)
Waitlisted:
Attending: Hopkins
Undergrad School: GW
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.19
Major/Minor: Major in International Affairs with a Concentration in Global Health and a Minor in Sociology
GRE: 161Q/167V/5.0W (Oct 24)
Experience/Research: Currently working as a Opioid Abuse Educator. One year in with a well-known NGO as M&E Coordinator. Two years working/studying abroad in resource-poor areas.
Other factors: Strong personal statement
Interested in: Global Epidemiology
Applied: Berkeley - MPH in Epi/Biostats (11/30), Columbia - MPH in Epi (11/30), GW - MPH in GDEC (11/30), Emory - MPH in Global Epi (12/30), BU - MS in Epi (12/30), Yale - MPH in EMD (1/8), Hopkins - MSPH in GDEC (1/14), Tulane - MS in Epi (1/16), LSHTM - MS in Epi (1/18), NYU - MPH in Epi (1/25)
Accepted: GW (1/11) + $ (2/8), Columbia (1/22), Emory (1/29), BU (1/30) + $ (3/10), Tulane (2/1), Hopkins (2/9), Berkeley (2/13), NYU + $ (2/25), Yale (3/15) + $ (3/20)
Rejected: LSHTM (1/25)
Waitlisted:
Attending: Hopkins
Last edited:
Did you end up having to include your parents information because I do not understand why we need to if we are independent"Also please keep in mind, all applicants are considered for merit based scholarships. In order to be reviewed you must have a cumulative undergraduate grade point average of 3.75 and have scored above the 80th% on all sections of your standardized exam."
From an email from Columbia's financial aid office fighting about including my parents' information in my FAFSA
Did you end up having to include your parents information because I do not understand why we need to if we are independent
When I first emailed them they said if you are older than 26 years of age or are married or have held full-time employment for 2 years, you do not need to provide parental information (which I believe is slightly different from what's on their website with the 2 years thing.) I emailed back asking if 2 years by matriculation would qualify and they responded with "The years of employment should be at the time of submitting your FAFSA meaning 2015-2016. We cannot use 2017 or 2018 income information because it is not what is collected on the form. However you can elect to not input parental information with the caveat that it may affect your eligibility for need based grants."
I don't know if I'm going to put it. My parents are well off but aren't supporting me, so I don't know if including their information will be more prohibitive than not including anything. It's extremely frustrating.
This makes me frustrated since, in my opinion, public health ability should be evaluated based more on actions/motivation than stats."Also please keep in mind, all applicants are considered for merit based scholarships. In order to be reviewed you must have a cumulative undergraduate grade point average of 3.75 and have scored above the 80th% on all sections of your standardized exam."
From an email from Columbia's financial aid office fighting about including my parents' information in my FAFSA
Last edited:
Congrats! Did you find out through the portal or an email?
Anyone know when Yale sends out financial aid packages?
I received mine! I was accepted on 1/8 and received my financial package on 1/22! It came with a $10,000 need-based grant and a $12,500 merit scholarship. So happy to get aid since I am seriously considering Yale for my MPH!
I voiced similar concerns to Columbia re: this issue, being someone with an undergraduate GPA lower than the requirement and having gone to a medical school that doesn't calculate GPAs. This was the response:This makes me frustrated since, in my opinion, public health ability should be evaluated based more on actions/motivation than stats.
"The criteria listed below is specific to the donor’s request and therefore exceptions aren’t made unless a dept specifically wants to offer the scholarship to a student who is very close to the qualifications. It still requires the Office of Institutional Advancement’s approval."
It doesn't appear to be too incredibly positive, but there does appear to be a chance of being offered scholarship money if your application is found to be interesting to a particular dept. Hope that helps
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I actually just received a phone call from one of the current students. She said that students receiving scholarship and finical aid will be receiving an email first week of February!Has anyone heard about financial aid from GWU?
Yay! I’m actually touring the campus this weekend! Trying to decide between Pitt and UMDaccepted to pitt!
ACCEPTED TO CHAPEL HILL!!!! So excited! Got in for health behavior. 🙂
do schools let you visit on weekends or only weekdays? not for like any event, just for an individual visit/tour. I wanna visit Tulane and NYU but can only go on a weekend
ACCEPTED TO CHAPEL HILL!!!! So excited! Got in for health behavior. 🙂
Congrats! Did you get an email notification?
yes, got an email telling me the decision was available on the applicant status page. Only thing is they're saying my tuition classification is "undetermined" and I've lived in North Carolina my whole life...so I gotta figure that outCongrats! Did you get an email notification?
I'm in a similar situation for the University of Wisconsin. I've lived in Wisconsin my entire life AND I'm currently enrolled as an undergraduate paying in-state tuition.yes, got an email telling me the decision was available on the applicant status page. Only thing is they're saying my tuition classification is "undetermined" and I've lived in North Carolina my whole life...so I gotta figure that out
Thanks!I actually just received a phone call from one of the current students. She said that students receiving scholarship and finical aid will be receiving an email first week of February!
Yes thats frustrating because my mom is now retired so her income is completely different from 2016 and she will not be supporting me so I do not understand why she needs to be listedWhen I first emailed them they said if you are older than 26 years of age or are married or have held full-time employment for 2 years, you do not need to provide parental information (which I believe is slightly different from what's on their website with the 2 years thing.) I emailed back asking if 2 years by matriculation would qualify and they responded with "The years of employment should be at the time of submitting your FAFSA meaning 2015-2016. We cannot use 2017 or 2018 income information because it is not what is collected on the form. However you can elect to not input parental information with the caveat that it may affect your eligibility for need based grants."
I don't know if I'm going to put it. My parents are well off but aren't supporting me, so I don't know if including their information will be more prohibitive than not including anything. It's extremely frustrating.
Received my "recommendation for acceptance" from UC-Berkeley on 1/25 at 5:30pm. I applied for Global Health and Environment concentration. I submitted my application on 11/22 and received verification on 12/1.
Received a few acceptances so filling this out in case it's helpful!
Undergrad School: Bryn Mawr College (seven sisters holler!)
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.62
Major/Minor: Political Science with concentrations in public policy and global health
GRE: 161 V/157 Q/4.5 W
Experience/Research: three years experience as a health care researcher at a major consulting firm in Washington, D.C. Previous health policy internships in D.C. and at the state level
Interested in: health policy
Applied: Berkeley - MPH in Health Policy, UCLA- MPH in HPM, GW- MPH in health policy, Harvard- MPH in health policy, BU - MPH concentration in health policy and law, UW - MPH in COPHP
Accepted: GW (12/18), BU (1/22), UCLA (1/25)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
Undergrad School: Bryn Mawr College (seven sisters holler!)
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.62
Major/Minor: Political Science with concentrations in public policy and global health
GRE: 161 V/157 Q/4.5 W
Experience/Research: three years experience as a health care researcher at a major consulting firm in Washington, D.C. Previous health policy internships in D.C. and at the state level
Interested in: health policy
Applied: Berkeley - MPH in Health Policy, UCLA- MPH in HPM, GW- MPH in health policy, Harvard- MPH in health policy, BU - MPH concentration in health policy and law, UW - MPH in COPHP
Accepted: GW (12/18), BU (1/22), UCLA (1/25)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
Congrats!! When did you apply?yes, got an email telling me the decision was available on the applicant status page. Only thing is they're saying my tuition classification is "undetermined" and I've lived in North Carolina my whole life...so I gotta figure that out
Thank you! I submitted on 12/14 and I think my application was verified within the week.Congrats!! When did you apply?
For those who have recently gotten accepted to UCLA, did they send you an online portal to check your admission status or did they directly tell you through email?
When I first emailed them they said if you are older than 26 years of age or are married or have held full-time employment for 2 years, you do not need to provide parental information (which I believe is slightly different from what's on their website with the 2 years thing.) I emailed back asking if 2 years by matriculation would qualify and they responded with "The years of employment should be at the time of submitting your FAFSA meaning 2015-2016. We cannot use 2017 or 2018 income information because it is not what is collected on the form. However you can elect to not input parental information with the caveat that it may affect your eligibility for need based grants."
I don't know if I'm going to put it. My parents are well off but aren't supporting me, so I don't know if including their information will be more prohibitive than not including anything. It's extremely frustrating.
Not sure if it will help or if you also got the same reply, but I received the following message from Columbia:
If parental information is not included, then any other variable we use to determine need such as prior loan borrowing, being eligible for government grants as an undergrad etc, must be met. If these items are not met and there is no parental information, then the student would not be eligible for any need based grants.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got my Yale financial aid package today and it only included a small need-based grant and no merit. 🙁 They said there's a small chance to get more later on in the cycle, but it seems unlikely. Dang, not a great note to end the week on.
I'm kinda freaking out seeing people get acceptances lol! I want one!! I'm sure they do it by department, though, and I've only seen HPM people get news and I applied for Epi.For those who have recently gotten accepted to UCLA, did they send you an online portal to check your admission status or did they directly tell you through email?
I got an email saying the HPM department had recommended me for admission!For those who have recently gotten accepted to UCLA, did they send you an online portal to check your admission status or did they directly tell you through email?
Haha so do I! That makes it worse for me because I applied to HPM! lol I'm getting really anxious, and the more I see HPM people getting accepted, the more doubtful I become that I'll get in.I'm kinda freaking out seeing people get acceptances lol! I want one!! I'm sure they do it by department, though, and I've only seen HPM people get news and I applied for Epi.
Congrats! When did you submit/verify your app?I got an email saying the HPM department had recommended me for admission!
Similar threads
- Replies
- 3
- Views
- 9K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 7K
- Replies
- 103
- Views
- 37K