MPH in Australia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greaper

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi i am a mbbs from India and would love to enroll in a MPH course in Australia.
Though there are ranking for US schools, i failed to find any for Australia. I want to have a career in public health and am not looking at it as a ticket to Australia to give my AMC.
There are a few queries that come to my mind at this point of time, any answers.....

1. What are the job prospects after MPH? I am not asking for the job listing just asking how easy is it to get a job for international student after doing MPH.

2. How difficult is it to get a Phd or a DrPh course after MPH?

3. If i come on a student visa and after the course secure a job in Australia, what hassles are there for the visa?

4. Which are the international student friendly universities(one which has more of the international community)?

5. What are the starting and the average pays in Oz land after MPH and DrPH or PhD?

6. Do the colloges provide campus placements or do you have to search for a job yourself?

7. Which are the top three names of colleges in Public Health in Australia?

I'll stop here, before i make this into a FAQ!
Hoping for a few answers to enlighten myself over the whole issue.

Members don't see this ad.

18 Views but no replies?
Guys please help!

Hi greaper

I work for Queensland Health (QH) in Australia and I'll try and answer some of your questions (in a private capacity of course).

1. What are the job prospects after MPH? I am not asking for the job listing just asking how easy is it to get a job for international student after doing MPH.

No too difficult from what I've seen. We always have jobs going in epidemiology and statistical areas as well as a lot of health promotion roles in which MPHs would be handy.

Not too difficult at all as long as the MPH satisfies research requirements of a PhD or DrPh course. Most unis will let you transition over if you stick with them and did ok in the MPH. The rules do differ a little from place to place so check out individual university sites.

3. If i come on a student visa and after the course secure a job in Australia, what hassles are there for the visa?

Sorry... outside my knowledge base.

4. Which are the international student friendly universities (one which has more of the international community)?

I know CQU in Queensland has about 51% international students overall but they have quite a few campuses around the place. Griffith Uni in Queensland also has quite a large international student base. Can't really speak for any unis down south, but I can't imagine there are too many that wouldn't "welcome" international students.

5. What are the starting and the average pays in Oz land after MPH and DrPH or PhD?

Hard to say. In the public sector you may start on around $40,000 AUD and go up to $80,000 AUD. Unfortunately even a PhD doesn't instantly = big money over hear in the public sector.

6. Do the colleges provide campus placements or do you have to search for a job yourself?

Most will usually have a research or work experience component in the course. Some places (like QUT) have a lot of industry ties and organise placements.

I can't really answer this one, but I'm guessing the sandstone unis (UQ, UNSW, ANU etc) are considered more prestigious than some of the newer unis, but to be honest I don't think there would be all that much variation in the quality of education you'd receive here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks you drblaze for answering my "bunch of queries". This information is of great importance to me to decide whether to goto US or to Australia for my MPH, right now torn between the two countries?!
Once again, thanks a million! But don't worry, i will get back to you again soon with more queries!

greaper said:
Hi i am a mbbs from India and would love to enroll in a MPH course in Australia.
Though there are ranking for US schools, i failed to find any for Australia. I want to have a career in public health and am not looking at it as a ticket to Australia to give my AMC.
There are a few queries that come to my mind at this point of time, any answers.....

4. Which are the international student friendly universities(one which has more of the international community)?

6. Do the colloges provide campus placements or do you have to search for a job yourself?

I'll stop here, before i make this into a FAQ!
Hoping for a few answers to enlighten myself over the whole issue.

HI,
THERE IS THIS LONK I M SHARING WITH u .iT IS OF UWA ..a prominent uni of WA.

http://www.international.uwa.edu.au...iences_Postgraduate_Coursework_Programmes.pdf

iT HAS THIS COURSE LISTED ON IT.
HAVE A LOOK
TC
Dr.SIMS

No more comments for this topic?

Thank you all for your replies. Had another query regarding the rankings of Australian Universities for the MPH course(if there is such a ranking system for aussie schools) or could anyone tell us the top universities to get a MPH degree from?

Does anyone have any idea of the rankings for MPH in Australia?

Does anyone have any idea of the rankings for MPH in Australia?

We don't really have any...

Generally speaking though, the big 'sandstone' Unis such as UQ, UNSW, UWA etc tend to enjoy better known reputations.

hi greaper ,
im plannin to do mph in aus too .
will be startin in july at uni wollongong.
i share ur concerns about findin a job too.
So wats up wit u now. not interested anymore?

i thought applications for the second semester didn't start till later this month for aussie universities.

well i had applied in the first week of march for the july start and was accepted .

Hey guys .... I want to know that after completion of MPH. Will Have to give AMC for Doing job in Aus.

hey guys...i have completed bachelor of dental surgery from india and now i would like to do MPH from australia...what are the outcomes and job opportunities after completing MPH in australia.? kindly guide me....

Hi I am BDS from India I would like to know about
1.top 5 colleges in Australia offering MPH
2.ease of getting a job there after MPH

Hi I am BDS from India I would like to know about
1.top 5 colleges in Australia offering MPH
2.ease of getting a job there after MPH
hey doc, did you get into any mph program australia

Hi i am a mbbs doctor from nepal and i would like to study mph in australia. So i would like to know what are the scopes of mph now in australia and is it difficult or easy to find a job in mph. Also what about the PR opportunities in mph?